PDA

View Full Version : REX Toolbits

lynnl
05-01-2003, 02:35 PM
Amongst my shoebox of tool bits (acquired from many sources), there are 3 or 4 that have 'Rex' scribed on them. I had thought that was an old brandname, but in a catalog I rcvd recently, they list under the 'Type' heading some "Rex" toolbits, others are shown as HS. Implying of course that Rex is an alternative to HS. What are these? Are they just a high carbon steel? Or an early HS alloy, or some such? The ones I have haven't been surface ground on the sides, and they don't look all that impressive in comparison to the HSS stuff. At least not as bright and shiney. Don't think I've ever tried using any of mine.

Al Messer
05-01-2003, 02:50 PM
REX is the brand name of the tool bit blanks the school furnished when I was taking Machine Shop classes at night. Not pretty, but were very good, HSS I think.

John Foster
05-01-2003, 02:52 PM
Rex is an old trade name from one of the big steel companies (can't remember which) and a good product. There were about 9 different grades for red hardness, wear resistance, toughness, etc. Rex XXX and Rex 95 are 2 I remember. They came in both the forged style that you have and the "shiney" ones you refer to. They are good tools, sharpen one and try it..

gizmo2
05-01-2003, 10:32 PM
If mem'ry serves, don't let the XXX's get too hot when you grind them. I don't think the 95's care how hot they get when you grind em, they won't lose temper.