PDA

View Full Version : Rotary Table or Dividing Head???

Mueller
04-30-2003, 03:40 PM
Both are on sale right now from Enco and include free UPS shipping

8" Horizontal RT= 174

7 7/8" DH= 244

The Div. Head comes with tailstock and dividing plates.

Most common divisions would be 4 and 5
(making holes 90° apart and 72° apart)

I'm guessing that I'd probebly want one of each, but I can only afford one right now.

Thanks

SGW
04-30-2003, 06:10 PM
Notice that a dividing head and a horizontal rotary table each address a different axis. I'd opt for a horizontal/vertical rotary table, I think, if I had to get just one thing.

Kerry.S
04-30-2003, 06:37 PM
if you're only doing holes on a face of a diameter or plate then I would (and have) learn trig a lot cheeper then a rotary table and easier and faster to work with.
but if you have to put holes in a part around the circumference then you need a dividing head or rotary table.
I have a rotary table but only use it for cutting the odd ball radius, never to dial off holes
Kerry

Thrud
05-01-2003, 03:03 AM
Mueller:
The dividing head is handier for things like cutting gears or making custom tools. But you can use a tailstock with a horzontal/vertical table to do the same thing - it just is more inconvienient and more work. A table is handy for large jobs, like spoking a flywheel, or making slotted faceplates, drilling bolt circles, etc..

It depends on what you plan on doing with it. Buy a table and then make a dividing head with it!

lynnl
05-01-2003, 09:54 AM
Anyone here made the little dividing head in Phillip Duclos' "Shop Wisdom" book? Cuter'n a bug's ear! It's another of those projects I'd like to try one of these days. (when I save up enough roundtoits' http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif)

JCHannum
05-01-2003, 09:59 AM
I made it several years ago. Have made a few gears with it and a set if indexing plates for a larger dividing head.
Have it on display on windowsill.

Thrud
05-01-2003, 10:59 PM
lynn

I almost snagged a genuine Emco 4" (with all the goodies) for my Maximat 7, but some mean person paid $300 for it.

They made a hydraulic tracer for my Maximat 7, but I have never seen one yet. (That would be fun!)

Mueller
05-01-2003, 11:33 PM
evilBay has a bunch of 4" rotary tables in the 70 to 80 dollar range....

I think I'm going to hold out for an 8" H/V rotary table with all the goodies. Once Enco has another free shipping deal I might get it.

Right now they are only doing UPS sized packages for free and the frieght for a R/T would be 76.00 right now via truck...too much !!! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//frown.gif

Gerryrig
05-02-2003, 12:59 AM
Our UPS driver said they raised the upper weight limit to 150 lb. Maybe this will help with the shipping cost.
Gerry