PDA

View Full Version : My morning, almost got the bleeding stopped

ibewgypsie
04-28-2003, 03:43 PM
Yeah, we are adding onto the house. I am a walking zombie (exhausted)I got the roof on with tar paper So.. I thought I would take today off to relax in my shop.

hmm looking around the uncompleted projects (about 20 or more) I think I want to work on the quad4 powered motorcycle. I have just enough tubing So I start bending up the DOM special ordered tubing to a drawing I did on a 2x4. First tube, perfect two bends, second tube is short in between the two bends.

Looking to see what went wrong I figured out I did not tighten the bolt on the bender and it slipped. I thought well.. I am putting a gusset in there anyways. So.. I cut the tubing, went looking for a 1/2 rod to go into tubing to hold alignment with the spacer. I found a 6 inch piece, yep too thick, time for a truing cut. I run the lathe down the barstock, yep just perfect. Hmm bevel the plug to put into the middle too. yep.. perfect.

Then the welding, move the cutting torches out to preheat. get them by the door, turn around and whoom, on thier fronts, by the broken glass this can't be good, At least no 2,000 lb oxygen torpedo I think, pick them up and sure enough the regulator is jammed, guages broken. Ok, out comes the propane torch, preheat for about twenty minutes till the heat stick melts. Get out a dry 7018 and away we go,

Enter the nosey pesky neighbor. He is wanting a custom frame made for his honda what-ever it is. He keeps negoitiating for what seems hours, so I start welding. Beautiful welds going on, then crap, stick, pry, crap, stick break rod, throw it, new rod stick, crap. I look around and neighbor is smirking. I think what the hell? and sure enough he had turned my perfect heat down. I run him off, sure enough I then inserted the other bends, exactly backwards , out comes the portaband, cut the lil plug offn' it. I look and the bevel is just barely welded so I put it into the lathe for a minor trim, not a good idea.

The hss cutter I had made several 5 gallon buckets of perfect shavings broke clean off and went by my head at 80mph because of welding splatter.
Out comes the grinder again, plug is short so I have to hold it with pliers, yep.. sure enough.. I have to hunt the nearby bushes for what seems Like a hour to find the plug. And when I pick it up it is still so hot immediate blisters are the result.
I tap the plug w/rod in with a small hammer.
it almost goes home, I steady the tube with one hand and whack, sure enough just pinched my hand and blood dripping rapidly, yep should have had them gloves on, yep. Two butterfly band aids later and a throbbing hand. Some relaxation huh? I sweep the shop and lock it up thinking, gee, next time I see the neighbor that price will be double.

What is the moral? no clue, except alcohol and exhaustion don't have a place in my shop
(and maybe lock the gate?).

ibewgypsie
04-28-2003, 03:56 PM
Ohh yeah, superglue works wonders on cuts. seals it right on up.

docsteve66
04-28-2003, 04:20 PM
sounds like you are snake bit and bound to die!!!!! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

Steve

ibewgypsie
04-28-2003, 05:07 PM
Die, we all are going to.. I want to take about another 60 years doing that tho. Could be worse today, much worse. The ox bottle could have went though the shop like a torpedo..
I feel better now, I need some warm milk and cookies and a nap tho.

x39
04-28-2003, 06:04 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ibewgypsie:
I look around and neighbor is smirking. I think what the hell? and sure enough he had turned my perfect heat down. I run him off, .

(and maybe lock the gate?).</font>
Your'e a nicer person than I am. I'll leave it at that. Hope the wounds heal rapidly.

gamachinist
04-28-2003, 06:36 PM
re:Superglue on cuts.I got knocked off my cycle in 1982.My left knee took most of it on the front fender of a Continental and broke the cap into about seven pieces.After surgery,the doc tells me I've got two pins through it and a piece of wire around it.I wondered how they held it together long enough to wrap and drill it.Thinking out loud one day a friend told me the doctors in Vietnam used Superglue for quick bone setting and cut closing.I assume that's how they held my patella together while fixin' me up!The "pins" were small spade bits they drilled in.When the wire broke (hurt like heck too) they told me it wasn't meant to be left in forever anyway.I asked how he was going to take the pins out,Vise Grips?You mean like these(holding up a pair of Vise Grip knock offs)?I just groaned and thought to myself "that's what I get for asking".All this because I was eyeballing the girl driving the car in the next lane instead of riding aware!Robert.

ibewgypsie
04-28-2003, 06:47 PM
Ga.. A pair of shortie hotpants in 1976 caused me to run my new FXE liberty edition into the rear of a pinto. I was flying thro the air wondering where my motorcycle went.
I was laying with the air knocked out of me while she kept on walking by. She wasn't as cute as I remembered.

GAmachinist;
"Lucas lord of darkness?" (old biker to another) One triumph rider buddy used to keep a flashlight to tape to his handlebars. I would hand him two wires with aligator clips to charge his battery from my bike while we rode. He used to carry spare bolts to put my bike back together.

x39
04-28-2003, 07:32 PM
Hey ibewgypsie, I owned a liberty edition FXE too! I bought mine used though. I've got a '68 shovelhead that I've owned since 1977. Doubled my money on the '76 though, so that took some of the sting out of selling it. As for Lucas electrics, why do the English drink warm beer? Lucas refrigeration!

wierdscience
04-28-2003, 10:30 PM
Man,don't feel bad I too have days where in everything I touch turns to s---!I have found that the best thing to do is quit and try again tommorow.Like the time I cut a driveshaft down for a customer and for some reason grabbed up a yoke from a different car boy did that suck!Twice the fun at half the price http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif As for the jacka-- that turned down your welder, guy did that to me once and during lunch I took a pair of visegrips to all of his valve stems,I figured if I had a welder and couldn't weld,then why should he have a car and be able to drive http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Ragarsed Raglan
04-29-2003, 10:50 AM
x39,

Look! Let's get this straight.... We drink warmer beer than you because it's REAL beer. It is a living drink, with active yeast and micro bacteria at work, even to the point of you drinking it.

Fact 1. Yeast dies at temperatures above 57*F, and goes to sleep at temperatures lower than 53*F

Fact 2. Real Beer is not pastuerised, nor homogenised, and finally is never made with chlorinated town water. It comes from artesian wells which draw on naturally filtered water sources.

Fact 3. Lucas never made refrigerators!

ibewgypsie,

Sorry to hear about the accident, that '5 gallon bucketter' of a cutter must've been a favourite of yours, I bet it's demise hurts as much as the hand.
BTW a good cure for profuse bleeding is a used tea bag. The tanin content of the tea helps the blood to coagulate, other chemicals within the tea act as natural antiseptics.

RR

Forrest Addy
04-29-2003, 11:27 AM
Anyone can have a bad day but malicious monkying with a man's work deserved instant retribution. I walking it the table of a 72" vertical boring mill as I watched a dial indicator deep in the work piece. My apprentice was at the jog button.

A "buddy" oiled the table so I'd step in it. Only a wild grab at the turret lever save me from a bad fall. My "buddy" was dumb enough to stand there with the oil can in hand grinning at me. I flung a 7/8" U-clamp at him (about 12 lb) and it ricocheted off the floor and got him in the shin. It gave him a bone bruise that kept him hobbling for three weeks. He was lucky. I was aiming for his grin.

Ray Diehl. Every large shop has one.

This was in the early '70's when summary justice, justly provoked was benignly neglected by the management. To-day I'd been arrested for assualt, put into counseling and anger management, and a line item entered in my presonnel record.

Deihl would have been compensated enough to buy a new pick-up.

Alistair Hosie
04-29-2003, 11:33 AM
I need some warm milk and cookies and a nap tho.
Come to Al's bakehouse/shop and I will fix you up http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif Regards Alistair Ibew get the little lady to kiss it better

x39
04-29-2003, 12:17 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ragarsed Raglan:
REAL beer... is a living drink,

Fact 3. Lucas never made refrigerators!
</font>

RR- I've got enough living things to contend with around here without having to deal with a fridge full of science experiments. Everyone knows real beer comes from a frosty aluminum can. I do agree with your opinion of Lucas refrigerators though, they were never worthy of being called refrigerators! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif (posted with tongue firmly in cheek)

Oso
04-29-2003, 01:30 PM
RR:
Beer?

I Hate beer. ALE? now yer talkin....tastes good, drinks good, looks like motor oil or coffee, pints are just right.

I live in THE town that produces the real American Pi$$ water beer, but they get no biz from me. Ther are about 3 or 4 microbreweries around town.

Oh, hard cider isn't too bad either.

BTW, if yeast dies at 57F, then I dunno what is working when I make 'shine. Something is bubbling in there, and it ain't the vinegar bugs......cuz it comes out at about 120 proof or better.

Ragarsed Raglan
04-29-2003, 02:04 PM
Oso,

I'm 100% with you on Ale, the difference between ale and beer is, I believe, that ale used to be made with honey (I certainly know that Mead was made this way), malted barley, and hops; the yeast element coming also from the malting process. Whereas, I believe beer (and here I refer to the Bitter beers) is made with a yeast culture which ferments on the natural sugars produced by the malted barley, with the hops adding to the process. I also believe the process needs to keep the yeast within this temperature range for optimum effectiveness. Some of our beers have the yeast strains traceable back for hundreds of years.

The point is 'chilled' beer has absolutely no 'after palette', beer at the right temperature has a 'carry through' which is most pleasing and suprising in its varieties, from brewer to brewer. The beer is not artificially carbonated (the CO2 is there due to the natural fermentation process), hence no carbonic acid is present in high proportions, as is the case with 'fizzy' beer.

If you've never drunk 'real ale', you will never know what it is like to get absolutely plastered, and yet wake up the next morning with no hangover due to excess carbonic acid.

I never forget going to a 'microbrewery' in Denver, with all that lovely, pure Rockies mountain water nearby, and then discovering on my first taste of the house beer the unmistakable 'tinge' of chlorine. In fact if I never visit the US again in my lifetime, the one memory I will carry to the grave will be the 'tinge' of chlorine in everything from beer, coffee, coca cola, ....you name it and it's there.... Mind you there are some pretty nice memories to go with it as well!!

RR

ibewgypsie
04-29-2003, 02:16 PM
RR.. I built a still for a friend. it had a small pump like a recirculatiion pump (to keep hot water at the tap) the cooker was a rubbermaid trash can with a hot-stick heater to keep it at about 85 degrees. WE put mash in, cracked the corn with lye, reset the ph with apple vinegar then added sweet feed (horse feed) and a lot of sugar to ferment the action. The lil pump would circulate the screened liquid into a small stainless heater I made from a pressure cooker that was set at another temperature. The fumes would come off the top and the tailings back to the mash. Fumes was just enough tempature via setpoint controller to allow a little brown water to be in the alcohol. Slower than a real large still but fit into a basement much easier.
Was it excellent, yes. Was it illegal, yes.
Most people have to add croaking oil to thier liquor to make it bead just a lil around the edges. We never did.
I have growed up just a little since then. Still not a adult thou, I still play with motorcycles and hot rods.. how about you?

Something funny, Frito lay chips are made from ph-busted fermented corn. I was walking around the plant smelling and thinking of the old days.

Ohh yeah, we used spring water, spring is since highly contaminated.

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 04-29-2003).]

Ragarsed Raglan
04-29-2003, 02:42 PM
ibewgypsie,

Illicit stills are not (to my knowledge) a common thing over here. Maybe Alistair could shed some light on any of the illicit pastimes of the Scottish clans though!!

I visited Ireland many years ago, and when in a pub, out in the back of beyond one evening, was offerred by the landlord the local 'Sheen (Pochain - pronounced 'Po-sheen' but shortened to 'Sheen) It was some drink!!!!!

If I ever get down to Georgia again, can I look you up for a glass of your brew? That still sounds like its the 'dogs knackers' - as for me.....
....yep, I still mess around with motorcycles got a '47 Ariel Square 4 .... and a collection of BSA's that nobody else wants!! Hot rods are my life (sort of!) I've been down your way to the Panoz factory, stayed at the winery there near Road Atlanta. Great place, great people.

RR

Alistair Hosie
04-29-2003, 07:31 PM
Ragarsed.Martin I told you before drinking is deeply frowned upon in Scotland most Scotsmen are rechabites to the man and all paid up members of the wee free church strictly teetotal so I wouldn't know sorry My father used to drink sugerallywatter a kind of inexplosive concoction with the manners of a church of Scotland meenister and no real punch to it a bit like Thruds milky chocolate laced with dunnamite Huh and they say there is no sense of humour north of the Watford gap http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif Alistair

ibewgypsie
04-29-2003, 07:54 PM
RR.. BSA.. British Small Arms.. In America.. the old biker abbreviation meant.." Bastard stopped again.." DIDn't they have lucas lord of darkness electrical too? Ariel.. yeah.. I want one.. that was the cool bike that everyone wanted.. A lil before my time tho.
My next homebuilt is going to be a excelsior-henderson-indian 4 cylinder clone. (with quad4 pontiac power) I got a lil more put on the frame today, the neck all trued and angled in 34 degrees. One bite at a time, that is how you eat a elephant, chew slowly while digesting, if you don't like that taste it leaves in your mouth, start on the other end next time.

x39
04-29-2003, 08:05 PM

My next homebuilt is going to be a excelsior-henderson-indian 4 cylinder clone. .</font>
Are you going with modern chassis components or are you going to build your own front end? Rigid frame? Sounds like a neat project.

Oso
04-29-2003, 11:27 PM
RR:

Why do you think there is such a business with the carbon filters for water here? It ain't for anthrax....

If the microbrewery used unfiltered water, they are micro alright, microcephalic, I'd say. Did the owner also answer to "Zippy"?

I will make a couple exceptions on beer....German beer is the best. The stuff where it takes 15 min to get your beer, because the head is like meringue and takes that long to come down to where they can pour in more. You can only get that over there. I hope the EC hasn't ruined the ancient German beer laws.

Chech beer is pretty good too, at least as imported. Stuff called Golden Pheasant (US import name) is really good for bottled.

We have Anheuser-Busch in town, and their "beer" is slightly polluted water. It don't taste of chlorine, their filters are the best. It don't taste of anything, actually.................

And the stuff that gives the hangover, in hard liquor, at least, is fusel oils, long chain alcohols that come from the charred wood of the whisky barrel. Hard work for the liver.

I drink my home-made shine water clear, no barrels need apply, and I shut it off when the stuff out the still quits stinging the tongue. It is closest to Slivovitz, I believe, that's yummy too. Nary a hangover to be found in either.

SJorgensen
04-30-2003, 01:44 AM
Its fun to have a few drinks in the shop after all the work is done with a couple of buddies. I imagine this has been done in blacksmith shops from time immemorial. Personally, I really don’t like my friends dropping by when I am in the middle of a project. I feel like I have to entertain them, or explain what I am doing, and listen to their opinions of how they would do this or that and on and on. And as always, once a beer has been opened the rate of production drops to zero and the rate of bull****ting climbs skyward. I like to wind things down at sunset. Put things away, clean things up, and open a beer and admire what ever I managed to do. If my friends show up right about then everything is fine. But before that they just seem to get in the way. And it really gets harder and harder to determine if things start going wrong because the friends are getting in the way or whether it is the talking, drinking and my losing focus on the tasks at hand. If on any Saturday, you have to make one trip to the hardware store and then your friends stop by with a twelve-pack as soon as you get back, you are guaranteed to be looking at your project on Sunday and it will look just like it did on Friday. (Or worse!)
Spence

[This message has been edited by SJorgensen (edited 04-30-2003).]

ibewgypsie
04-30-2003, 04:57 AM
X.. Koni shocked Swingarm frame, probably a girder or springer front end. I got more tubing on the way for the frame. Grampa had a harley frame with indian motor, it was the fastest around chattanooga Long before I was born. I always liked the looks of the 4 cyl indians. I can't find one I can afford so, I am building a 180 hp model, Can't afford the indian repro fenders so I have to build them too. So far all I got is a lot of wants, and a pontiac motor. (+6 fatboy cast wheels, 2 roadking wheels and some bent up tubing)

I plan on polishing out the cast wheels, maybe cutting some designs in them.
Turning the power 90 degrees to use a harley clutch & transmission, the last one I did I used a boat foot gearbox. (was a 2.3 ford power trike) I can't find one, so I am going to build one it looks like. One bite at a time, I am leaving the rear of the frame blank so I can do whatever it needs and not have a lot of extra wheelbase.

http://www.dakotafour.netfirms.com/models.html
http://www.indianchiefmotorcycles.com/currentline.htm
the real indians are on the second one. British vs american version patents.

OSO.. Finnish beer rules, I was married to a Fin lady who courted me with FInnish beer and bitter chocolate.

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 04-30-2003).]

BC21OSH
04-30-2003, 05:13 AM
Ibew,

The Ariel square four is one beautiful motorcycle, would make a great project. My old boss back when I did small engine repair had a 59 square four. Loved to listen to that engine run, what a great sounding machine.

Lucas electrics: I don't understand this. The English invented the first full blown computer right? and radar right? but they let Lucas sabotage their vehicle, both car and motorcycle, integrity with poor quality electrics. We worked on BSA's, Nortons and Triumphs and dealt with the electrics issues on them.

Have they gotton any better in the last few years? I haven't been around it for many years now.

Bernard

BC21OSH
04-30-2003, 05:27 AM
About beer - I have to agree with OSO - there's nothing like German beer. The best beer I ever had was at a train station in a little town outside of Munich. The town had their own brewery.

Having said that, I have never drank any beer in other coutries except Japan.

A cold Guiness is really good if you like a stout.

Bernard

ibewgypsie
04-30-2003, 07:33 AM
Tsing Tao beer, (chinese) Sapparro (japanese) and the ales I have had from germany (my forefathers country) can't touch the Finnish beer.. It was about 8-12 percent alcohol and tasted like spring water, more like the american beers I had in my younger days, only better.. I just wish I had some in the fridge now. Alas.. My finnish wife divorced me. Very large gold cans.. I am thinking of the name.. yep.. nothing in my noggin.

x39
04-30-2003, 09:32 PM
ibewgypsie- sounds nice. A while back I saw some pictures of an inline four set up like an Indian that was built in Sweden. If I remember correctly, they used a Volvo engine. I'll see if I can come up with a reference on it. Have you seen the Ford flathead V-8 powered bikes Coker is selling? Check them out here: http://www.coker.com/flathead.asp

ibewgypsie
04-30-2003, 10:47 PM
X.. I sat on that one.. Honest (charlie's) was at a local car show in Chattanooga Tn. I was all excited till I saw the HONDA rear brake. It was balanced like a dream. Had a 90 degree shaft coming out of the side of the transmission in place of the shifting dogs. ONE SPEED, but still cool. Nice ride.

x39
04-30-2003, 11:16 PM
[B] I was all excited till I saw the HONDA rear brakeB]</font>
Yeah, I hear you. I think the front end is off a Honda 750. You might find this site interesting, not bikes but very large custom cars. Worth a look in my opinion.. www.blastolene.com (http://www.blastolene.com)

Dave Opincarne
05-01-2003, 12:49 AM
RR-

Beer-Generic name for fermented grain beverages, mostly barley but also wheat and rye.

Ale-Class of beer distingished by top fermentation yeasts including porter, stout, ____ ale (Fill in blank), Hefiweizen, and barlywine.

Bottom fermentation yeast produces brews commonly refered to as "beer" when used to distinguish from "ale". These include lager and pilsiner.

Mead-fermented honey.

-Dave

gamachinist
05-01-2003, 12:49 AM
I remember a few (actually 30) years back seeing a Corvair on a shaft drive Indian military frame in a chopper magazine.No gear box,but one great big lever on the hydraulic clutch.I gave those magazines away 10 years ago and wish I hadn't.Great big guy riding it too.Man was it wide!
As for the gentle poking about the Lucas electrics or lack there of,the only stoppage I've had was with the kill switch.At least it was the only thing I had to fix before it would get home.The first time it happened was AT home so at least I wasn't roadside repairing!I did however come in on 1 or 2 cylinders a time or two because of points or condensor failure.Loaded up to go to Daytona one time.Bike ran fine before I put it on the truck.Unloaded in Daytona,skipping on one cylinder.Chalk that one up to using Champion plugs.Three new NGK's solved that one.I only had one thing that would run good with Champ's and that was a McCollough powered go cart.
As for gypsies hot pants story,he knows what it feels like to be riding along and suddenly doing your worst junior birdman imitation!It's a strange feeling looking up at the sky wondering what happened!Robert.

Thrud
05-01-2003, 02:16 AM
Oso:
There is a brewery in Calgary that brews "Grasshopper" beer to the "German Beer Purity act of 1735(?)". I love that stuff ice cold (almost freezes when opened) - has good bite that way!

I wish they made Root Beer that good! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

ibewgypsie
05-01-2003, 07:51 AM
X.. cars like that give me a woodie.. (enough personal) I got a 71 built camaro in the drive that satisfies the 15 year old kid (me) too. I have not tagged it yet cause I am afraid I will lose my license.

Ga. As long as a person is happy it don't matter what he rides or pushes. I have seen more harleys broke on the road than ever brit bikes. Usually it is the mechanic that tells the tale and causes the problem.
I hardly ever pushed my bikes. But then I am a minor detail worrying anal retentive type person. I do the same in my machining.
If you enjoy pushing I recommend you build a hot rod harley. something about making more horsepower than "engineered for" makes things break. I can get more out of a 80 than most people can a 113. If it will smoke the tire under my fat rear, what more do you need? I got a terrible ticket on a slight modified and blueprinted-balanced 74. It interruppted my life for more than two months paying a moment of indisgression. (7 tickets in all for one occurrence) Now that bike.. whoo hoo.. it would do over 160.
I did a tattoo on my left arm of the panhead engine with red pipes glowing next to the heads and flames coming out. And.. a Wile-E-coyote w-roller skates & rocket pack to remember the tickets.
www.alltel.net\~decofer (http://www.alltel.net\~decofer)

Lets make some chips today and get back to machining.

SJorgensen
05-02-2003, 01:20 AM
I have a neat little red Triumph TR7 "The Shape of Things to Come" (to a stop in the middle of the road.) This was the car with the Lucas Opus electronic ignition system. It may have been one of the first. This car sat for 10 years before I got it because the distributer was bad. I put an aftermarket electronic ignition in it and it works fine now. It's a fun little newly-painted bright red 5 speed car. I thought I was the only one who knew the joke about why the English drink warm beer. (Their refridgerators where made by Lucas too.) My theory is that the labor strikes had an impact on the quality of the product too. I don't drive it much but it's a cute car. I wish it was an E Type Jag.
Spence

x39
05-02-2003, 12:23 PM
ibewgypsie- neat website, looks like we have some simular interests and projects. I'm working on a Harley frame jig as well. Picked up a blueprint of a pan frame off ebay. It's missing a few dimensions, but not bad. Have fun, see ya around the board.

ibewgypsie
05-02-2003, 01:05 PM
X.. You know a evo won't fit into a panhead frame? I made this jig from a 12 inch tire frame. Kinda burned out on it already thou. My welder is off making the big goverment bucks. I can weld.. but I trust his welds more. I stick welded two of them, chamfered, triple pass, but I think tig frames are better.
Somebody had a harley come apart in Chattanooga on the interstate, it was made with schedule 40 water pipe. Best stuff is DOM .25 wall. Factory is .1625. Holler if I can help. (email) You got a model 3 bender yet?

x39
05-02-2003, 01:24 PM
ibewgypsie- yeah, I'm aware about the evo not fitting in a four speed frame, thanks for the heads up anyway. I'm still stuck in the shovelhead era, my wife's always calling me a dinosaur, LOL! I don't have a bender of my own, my friend down the road has one though. I guess one of these days I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get one. I'm still working on the assembly jig aspect of things. My first project is to use it to derake, align, and weld a frame I bought a while back. It's a big twin swing arm frame that's had a hardtail welded to it, with about 3/8" of rake. I have a stock neck section off a frame that a friend of mine cut up some years back, I'm going to graft that on. Also need to widen the space betwen the rear axle plates about 1/2" to accept a shovelhead drum or disc brake set-up, now at 8 3/4" inside dimension to fit mechanicals. I appreciate the offer of advice, no sense reinventing the wheel! The broken frame reminds me of a guy I know who had a Paughco frame seperate at the front downtubes while he was riding. The bike wound up sagging the to ground, and when he came to a stop he just stood up and got off the bike with it sitting upright in the middle of the road!

ibewgypsie
05-02-2003, 04:14 PM
X. a good protractor and a plumbbob are a framebuilders best friends, just start level with your jig like a pipefitter. There is additional frame drawings in the back of authentic harley manuals. Boiler tube is the best necks around and predrilled. Mine is built on a piece of 12 inch heavy channel with jigs that bolt on. When no jigs are on it, it becomes a handy workbench. I built a motorcycle lift when I had the last evo it had more lawnmowers and utility trailers on it than motorcycles. When I got the big lathe gave to me it is now banned to the yard.
I think if I had it to do over, I would just fabricate a very large heavy welding table and build jigs to match the frames. My welding table is on wheels, has all the welders and a benchtop drill press. it is handy but not steady anymore.
You got a rosebud heating tip? it would bend the tubing as easily as the model 3. I had to fine tune several bends on the last one anyways. It is easier to do it like that than to hit them exactly. A 24" pipe wrench turned sideways gives you all the leverage you need. I had sweat dripping off my nose on the last one, damn ratchet bender anyways.
Send me pics or post them please.

x39
05-02-2003, 06:21 PM

Send me pics or post them please.</font>

ibewgypsie- I'll e-mail you some pictures as soon as I get back in the picture business. My wife dropped our digital camera and I've sent it out to be repaired. Soon as I get it back I'll snap some shots. The basis of my jig is a length of square tubing with a piece of 1" aluminum tooling plate pinned and bolted to it to locate engine/trans mounts. The rear axle can be located forward or back along the square tube, and adjusted for height. I haven't made the part for holding the steering neck yet, but it will be adjustable for height and rake by moving it along the tube. I found a nice protractor disc at a used tool shop that I intend to mount directly to the jig to adjust for rake. I copied the frame prints from an old manual and had my wife enlarge them on her copier at work, they've been quite helpful, but as with the print I bought, there are dimensions omitted. I picked up quite a few dims measuring stock frames belonging to friends of mine. Future plans include making a repro VL springer.