PDA

View Full Version : Thanks, Dave ( thrud )

rmatel
12-10-2001, 02:02 PM
Thanks for your statement about "home" shops and affordability.
To all others; part of the name of this forum is "home". All of the knowledge gained from experience that you professionals are contributing is very, very much appreciated, However, I humbly ask you to keep in mind that most of us do not have access to "super mills", "mega-lathes" or "lottery sizes" wallets. Scanning the profiles, it's MHO that most of the participants are not making a living from machining; it's an avocation for them. Some of us do not have the "network" to access used machines or estate sales 'cuz the machining world is new to us.
Why is it that most of the articles in HSM and MW are about making "tools" that can be purchased? Is is because the authors cannot afford SL's or ML's.
There is a lot more I wish to "vent" but it is time for me to get off the soapbox. Flame me if you will, but IMHO, these ideas needed to be stated.

Thrud
12-10-2001, 11:05 PM
You are welcome, anytime. I think you should vent.

I do not believe anyone in this forum are being outwardly mean one way or the other on anyone's choice of tools. It just sounds that way. I do believe many are truly trying to assist the new guy in getting good tools right off while trying to avoid the numerous pitfalls along the way - many of us have "been there, done that" ourselves - so it is natural to try to help the next guy not repeat the same mistakes we may have made along the way too.

I know when I was working with new people I had a tendency to tell them not to do that - and would show the correct way and not explain to their satisfaction why the other way was inappropriate. "Just trust me and do it." As I grew older and wiser I understood what an arshole I may have been...

I remain, ever the grumpy middle aged fart
Dave

Daubie
12-10-2001, 11:58 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rmatel:
Thanks for your statement about "home" shops and affordability.
To all others; part of the name of this forum is "home". All of the knowledge gained from experience that you professionals are contributing is very, very much appreciated, However, I humbly ask you to keep in mind that most of us do not have access to "super mills", "mega-lathes" or "lottery sizes" wallets. Scanning the profiles, it's MHO that most of the participants are not making a living from machining; it's an avocation for them. Some of us do not have the "network" to access used machines or estate sales 'cuz the machining world is new to us.
Why is it that most of the articles in HSM and MW are about making "tools" that can be purchased? Is is because the authors cannot afford SL's or ML's.
There is a lot more I wish to "vent" but it is time for me to get off the soapbox. Flame me if you will, but IMHO, these ideas needed to be stated.</font>
----------------------------
Hi,

Let me just say this, I have approxamately 20 years in the machine shop trade, working in various shops at different levels of skill. I don't consider myself a MASTER yet! I am not much of a mechanic (in my eyes), though fluently mechanical. I have yet to program CNC's from scratch, though I've done setups and editing, no problem. This trade covers such a broad spectrum, how can you possibly know it all? I learn something new every day. That is why I have subscribed to HSM and MW for years and I just love the internet's many machinists' bulletin boards, always something to learn. What really gives one a sense of humility is when an apprentice comes up with a damn good idea to show a journeyman type, a thing or two. We all started from nothing. I would never degrade another person, especially if he really wants to learn, just because he is lower down on that there learning curve. And if I do, kick me in the butt!

I have run some fantastically fun machines on the job, some, $100,000 CNC beauties, but at my home I decided for my purposes the SHOPTASK was for me. Whenever I am feeling a bit blue, I go to my basement workshop, look at my Shoptask, and have a good laugh! But, still, that machine is good enough for me and my home shop. The reason I did not buy something used, is because I wanted something I can use more or less right out of the box. I did not care then, but maybe later, to buy a worn out lathe or whatever and have to rebuild it. I have always liked the South Bend 10K and 13 inch lathes, so maybe someday, just for fun... No room in the house for a Bridgeport, sad to say.

Take care,

Kurt