PDA

View Full Version : Looking for new HD Floor Drill Press, Single Phase

NickN
04-30-2003, 09:46 PM
Looking for new SINGLE PHASE heavy drill press. Here are some specs - All these are "at least"

20" swing, more better

3" Quill and 4 1/2" column

Table work surface of 18" x 20"

24" spindle to table

Spindle speeds 150-1800

Can be belt, gear head, or variable speed

Any ideas? Thanks, Nick

Rustybolt
04-30-2003, 10:52 PM
Heavey Duty and single phase are mutually exclusive terms. You might want to look at a three phase machine with the idea of changing out the motor for a single phase of greater HP.

Thrud
05-01-2003, 02:46 AM
Nick

You can find large radial drills at industrial auction fairly cheap as most do not want to move the monsters - the box sections are usually 1/2 ton by themselves!

Jet makes a mini-radial, but I doubt its worth to serious work.

yf
05-01-2003, 03:32 AM
Check this out from Horror freight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=149

Its on sale sometimes for about $400.00

You can also make a knuckle arm for a smaller drill press to increase the swing.
Delta Rockwell once sold such an accessory for their smaller drill presses.
You can make it yourself.

yf
05-01-2003, 03:35 AM
BTW
You can always bolt down a piece of heavy plate to enlarge your work surface and make a longer column or extend it to increase capacity.

SGW
05-01-2003, 08:29 AM
At one point Joe Brogemo of Plaza Machinery, Bethel, VT, was actively rebuilding and reselling heavy-duty Delta dirll presses. I don't know if he's still doing it, but it would probably be worth checking.

Opps - 3jaw's note makes me think that maybe it was Clausing drill presses that Joe was rebuilding. Anyway, it was/is a "good brand."

[This message has been edited by SGW (edited 05-01-2003).]

3jaw
05-01-2003, 01:31 PM
If you are wanting a new drill press, Clausing still makes a 20". They don't have one with the exact speed range that you specified with a single phase motor, but they do have a step pulley model without a motor. With an 1140 rpm motor you would have five speeds ranging from 200 to 1300 rpm. With a 1725 rpm motor the speed range is 300 to 2000 rpm and they do offer the 1725 rpm motor in a single phase version but not an 1140. This information comes directly from a current Clausing drill press sales brochure that I am looking at in front of me. I bought a new 15" Clausing for my school shop last year and the quality of the new models is just as good as the old ones even though the new ones aren't made in the USA any more.

Just my $.02 worth and usual disclaimers.

NickN
05-01-2003, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the replys to everyone. 3jaw, that was a good suggestion on the Clausing. I went to their website [url=http://www.clausing-industrial.com/Products/Drills/Clausing/ClaDrill20fot.htm#Dimensions & Weights{/url] Don't know if I typed that in right to show a link.

The Clausing looks pretty much like what I'm looking for except I'd have to convert it to single phase 1140 rpm. I checked out the Baldor site (excellent site) and a motor (list) would run around $800. But it's got the speeds I'm looking for with that motor. It might seem a little strange that I want something that will turn that slow but there are times when I might need to slip in a 1" drill with a #3 Morse taper. Or a 7/8" or a 15"16" When I'm using drills that cost as much as they do, I like to keep the speeds down around 60 fpm.

Actually the machine will be used mostly at around 300-800 rpm, but I still want to have the ability to do large holes. I've got a gearhead/dovetail column Rong Fu mill drill that I keep pretty much set up for drilling 6"-8" schedule 40 seamless pipe and another Rong Fu belt drive/round column m/d that I keep set up for higher speed stuff. Slow it down to do tapping as it's got better visibilty and a neater reversing switch than the gearhead. For the money Rong Fu are good machines.

The drill press I'll be replacing is a 22" Taiwan machine (Duracraft) that I've had since '78. For $600, it's more than earned it's keep. Probably over 100,000 holes and 12-1500 of them were 11/16" and 3/4" with no pilot holes running at 70-80 fpm. Replaced all the spindle bearings once, but now the quill is just a little too sloppy in the housing.

Anyhow, thanks for the help. Any other thoughts would be appreciated. Nick

Cass
05-01-2003, 10:46 PM
I would look for an old Buffalo or some other old US made heavy iron with a 3 ph. motor and replace the motor with what every single phase 1725 rpm motor you can find and then play with pulleys to get the speed you want. Another approach is to get the 3 ph and then put a static phase converter on it. They work pretty well for drill presses since you usually start in an unloaded condition. One of the small milling machines from Enco or others is a good drill press as the spindle is heavier than a drill press of comparable horsepower. The cost of the mill is comparable to or less than a nice US heavy drill press and you get the table movements.

YoheShop
05-02-2003, 01:45 PM
SGW is right. Joe at Plaza Machinery still has a couple of barns full of stuff including drill pressses from Delta, Clausing, Buffalo, and some older industrial Powermatic variable speeds that looked very good. He can probably switch out a 3 phase to a single phase motor, if that is what you really want. His ad is in HSM.

Herb

NickN
05-02-2003, 07:04 PM
Thanks for all the help. SGW and YoheShop, I called Plaza today, but I found out that he's only open Mon-Wed. His place in Bethel, Vt is only about five hours away from here so that would have been good. Plus, I know Bethel - I used to live near there and founded the Bethel Blues Band about thirty years ago. But the days of serious guitar playing have been replaced by (hopefully) serious shop work.

3jaw, You're the man. I called Clausing and talked with Dennis. He gave me the # of the area sales rep, Bill Fahlin. These guys have got their **** together. Straight out knowledge about their machines, plus what can be shipped when, and what it's going to cost delivered.

I've spent a lot of hours and probably 50-75 phone calls trying to figure this whole thing out. What machine to buy. I even talked with Willy Lin today that imports the Rong Fu's and a bunch of other imports. Good man. I got caught up on some of the stuff going on in the import market.

But, in the end I decided to go with the Clausing made in Kalamazoo, MI. 20" with a big table (19"x22") and spindle to table of 33"! Belt machine with 5 speeds from 300-2000. Would have rather had 200 as the lowest speed, but compromises have to be made here and there. Horse and a half motor and no frills on the press itself.

Except, the head can be moved up and down on the column and I went for the option of the crank and rack to do that. I like that. Doesn't happen that much, but there are times when I'd like to move the head lower.

I asked Bill, the sales rep, what would happen if the machine arrived and I didn't think it was up to what I expected even if there was nothing mechanically wrong. He said I could send it back and my money would be returned. That's the way it ought to be when you're paying three grand for a machine.

So far, I'm more than happy dealing with Clausing. We'll see what I think when the drill gets here later this month.

Thanks again 3jaw for putting me onto this - I hope.

3jaw
05-02-2003, 08:36 PM
NickN,

Glad I could help and good luck with the new baby. I hope you have a forklift or several big buddies to help you unload that thing.

Happy drilling,

Greg

Cass
05-02-2003, 09:43 PM
I think you will like the Clausing. I have a 15" Clausing with a 1140 rpm motor and belts and it is a good machine. I also have a Rockwell 20" and a Rockwell 15" both heavy duty with t-slotted tables. I like the Clausing as well as the others or better. You probably made a good decision with the racks, they get a lot of use. Always impressed with what new machinery like that costs. $3k, wow.