View Full Version : Stupid problem with a broken dipstick.

07-26-2007, 12:05 PM
On one of my tractors the dipstick broke off in the oil filler hole. (Please don't hurt yourself laughing.)

I will probably need to remove the oil pan to get it out but I've been trying to think of an easier way.

The piece of the dipstick is not in it's hole. I checked already. So, I assume it's in the oil pan.

I'm trying to think of how to get it out with a magnet or one of those grabber/pickup tools with the spring loaded teeth. Or if I could at least get it over the oil drain hole I could maybe fish it out with hemostats.

Any ideas?

07-26-2007, 12:08 PM
Don't spose you could borrow a laparascope?

Your Old Dog
07-26-2007, 12:14 PM
Might want to re-examine your maintenance schedule! :D I've never had an oil stick rust off? What else is there in there that would break it off? :D

To be serious a moment. You know the dipstick tube just sets in the block. If you can remove it from the block you may be able to get small magnet through the hole to snag the stick?

07-26-2007, 12:17 PM
I am a bit afraid that depending on where it dropped, it may not have fallen to the bottom of the pan. Some automotive pans have a baffle around the oil pump pickup that may get in the way. Less likely on a tractor is the presence of a windage tray that may be in the way too.

Might be worth pulling the pan to know what grabbed the end of the dipstick anyway. I am guessing that's how it broke...that it got pinched and pulled in two. I am amazed sometimes how snug things are inside some oil pans.

My truck seems to grab hold of the transmission dipstick. I keep worrying that some day I will go to pull it out and will snap a piece of it off.


07-26-2007, 12:35 PM
Yep, something grabbed it and it didn't take much to snap it off but it is made of a soft iron.

By the way, this is on a 1949 Massey Harris Pony that has a Continental N62 engine. The part number for the dipstick is N62L-2010 if anyone knows where I can get another, otherwise when (if?) I can retrieve the old piece I'll have the two parts brazed or silver soldered back together.

How would I go about removing the oil filler spout from the block without creating another problem for myself? Is it just pressed in or would it be threaded in?

07-26-2007, 12:40 PM
I cannot speak to your engine, but the ones I am familiar with from old flathead auto engines where the filler tube went into the crank case, the tubes were pressed in place. They might have a dimple or two that were pressed out from the inside of the tube to make them bite.

If you end up pulling the pan, perhaps the filler tube retention will become obvious, too.

I am not a tractor collector, but I would think that a bbs for those who are might turn up a source for NOS parts.


07-26-2007, 12:43 PM
"The part number for the dipstick is N62L-2010 if anyone knows where I can get another,"

You're an HSM and you can't make a dipstick?

07-26-2007, 12:58 PM
It may be more trouble than it's worth.

I already obtained the length of the stick and the locations of the marks. I just need to remove the remainder of the old stick from the cap and install a new stick. If I thread the end of the stick, install a washer and nut at the right location, place the old cap on the stick, and put another nut on the stick to hold the cap on it would work fine.

If I really wanted to keep it simple I could just take an 11" rod, put the marks on it at the correct locations and put a small block of steel on one end to hold the rod at the right depth in the filler tube. I'd keep the old screw-on cap on the oil filler spout and when I wanted to check the oil I could remove the cap and take the cobbled up dipstick out of the tractor toolbox. :)

I've checked with a couple of dealers in used parts for these engines and come up empty handed.

07-26-2007, 01:04 PM
1: take suitable dry stick from wood pile
2: find suitable size nut in junk box
3: hold nut in vice
4: drive stick through nut, thereby cleaning and finishing to diameter, leaving appropriate length for handle
5: cut notches at appropriate points on stick
6: insert new dipstick in hole

07-26-2007, 01:07 PM

Are you an HSM or a frustrated woodworker? :)

07-26-2007, 01:11 PM
Nope, just an old school sandgroper that had to get things working one way or another :p

07-26-2007, 02:20 PM
I helped a buddy fish one out through the drain plug hole with an appropriately bent up coat hanger that we magnetized.

07-26-2007, 02:32 PM

How long did it take; minutes, hours, days? :)


At first I thought I was the only one who had ever done this. I suppose that misery loves company. :)

07-26-2007, 02:52 PM
Not long - but the (relatively large) drain plug hole was on the side of the pan, giving us a fairly straight shot.

07-26-2007, 03:10 PM

Why bother trying to retrieve it? Crank the engine over by hand to make sure nothing is binding and if okay the dipstick part is probably laying in the bottom of the pan. It will stay there unless you turn 'er upside down!!

I may be able to help you with a replacement. I have a "parts" Massey 101JR's, a Pacemaker, a "44" and several Model 25's. The 101 JR may have the same engine (I'll have to check). Where are you located?


07-26-2007, 04:15 PM

I'm in south central Iowa near the town of New Virginia and it looks like you're in Massey Harris country. :)

The part number, N62L-2010, is stamped on the dipstick. Apparently there were different versions of the Continental N62 engine that used different dipsticks. Mine was the 10.5" dipstick version.

I had thought about just leaving the part in the oil pan but I didn't know if there was any splashing to the lubrication system. Just to play it safe I was going to do whatever it takes to retrieve the broken off portion. (I had also thought about getting one of the magnetic drain plugs if I could find one that would fit.)

If you happen to have a spare dipstick I would certainly appreciate it if you let me know and we can work out something.


07-26-2007, 07:06 PM
"The part number for the dipstick is N62L-2010 if anyone knows where I can get another,"

You're an HSM and you can't make a dipstick?

Just how many "dipsticks" are there on this BBS?

07-26-2007, 07:14 PM

07-27-2007, 01:20 AM

07-27-2007, 09:06 PM
pgmrdan, these people may be worth a try for a replacement dipstick.


Good Luck.


07-27-2007, 11:05 PM
I've never seen one so don't ask me, but I've been told that most auto parts stores sell universal replacement dip sticks that can be configured to your engine's needs.

I bought three old worn out(from surplus at local college) John Deere front mower lawn mowers that have three cyl. Yanmar diesel engines. Only one of them had a full length dip stick. The other two seem to be worn or rubbed off (go figure).

07-27-2007, 11:56 PM

Here's another one to try.


Good Luck

07-28-2007, 09:50 AM
Thanks Larry!

I'm lucky that Valu-Bilt is about 20 minutes from me. I love that place but don't tell my tractor mechanic. :)

Unfortunately, they don't have the dipstick but that's one of the first places I try when I look for tractor parts. They have everything...almost. ;)

07-28-2007, 12:19 PM

Are you an HSM or a frustrated woodworker? :)

He is neither , He is Australian. :rolleyes:

Alistair Hosie
07-28-2007, 12:27 PM
The Ausies are fine by me my uncle and aunt and cousins can confirm this and those luschious girls.Alistair ps not particularly the aboriginies

07-28-2007, 12:31 PM
Yup , Been there done a few women,White not Abo's, though there were a few mixed that were hot.

07-28-2007, 10:58 PM

07-28-2007, 11:31 PM
O.K Here's one more haven't used them for tractor parts as yet but they might be able to help you.



07-29-2007, 10:05 AM
Oil level's fine
your dipstick's too short

HL Holmberg
07-29-2007, 10:54 AM

07-29-2007, 11:00 AM
I'll correct a few misapprehensions here.
Born in Scotland (Leith)
Came to Fremantle in the Fairstar, 1964. (aged 7)

Lived and worked on this coast since.

07-29-2007, 12:20 PM

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Nothing that I have has that part number. This place has a good supply of old Massey Harris stuff and it may be worth a phone call. (Google: "Parts Ranch")

Used Parts Ranch Combines & Tractor Inc
Address: Box 104
Town: Rimbey, AB, T0C 2J0

Phone: (403) 783-6765
Fax: (403) 783-5757

A local museum has an annual antique tractor show in August, this year they are featuring Massey Harris so there may be some "pony" owners there. If I see one I will ask about a source of parts for you.



07-29-2007, 12:34 PM
Thanks for checking Frank! One will eventually turn up or I'll rig the cap from the broken one with a new rod with some marks on it.

Again, thanks for checking.