X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lynn Standish
    • Jun 2004

OT - propane orifice

In some areas (such as Boise, ID) where it is pretty dry and hot at times, a lot of people and restaraunts with outdoor dining use "misters" to cool an outdoor area such as a patio. For those who don't know, these are typically a piece of pipe coiled like a cobra about to strike. At the terminal end are a couple of brass fittings with a tiny orifice in them. When hooked to a garden hose or similar, the water pressure creates a very fine mist as water is metered through the orifice/s. In a dry climate like ours this has a cooling effect.

I'm thinking about making something similar, except it would be a run of pipe with several such outlets on it. The orifice on these things is probably no more than .010" in diameter and maybe smaller. I'm not really equipped to drill holes that small and am wondering where a guy might find fittings like that. Carburettor jets and orifices for propane burners come to mind, but I don't know what diameters are available.

Anyone have some suggestions or info?

Thanks....
    Lynn S.
  • hitnmiss
    • Jul 2003

My local Subway sandwich shop has a plastic line with 12+ fittings just like you described... Not sure where they got it but they are available.

Comment

• PTSideshow
      • Nov 2005

Places to check of Harbor fright has drip and mist watering systems the one stop garden is Harbor frights garden shop. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...oryID=41&tab=6
      Also this place will have something you can use they sell farm supply animal cooling stuff and fans set up already if nothing else you may get some ideas http://www.teksupply.com/webapp/wcs/...sion=TekSupply
      they are good to deal with and have some good sales.
      Almost forgot this is the place for fitting and such hoes ect. Have dealt with them for years fast shipping.http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/default.asp
      Glen
      Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
      I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
      All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

• Evan
        • May 2003

Go to a pharmacy and buy some disposable syringes. They are available in a range of gauges which convert to needle hole sizes of .015" to as small as .0025". The needles are stainless steel and will make excellent orifices when soldered into a brass holder. Disposable syringes are not prescription items and they are dirt cheap. Prices here are around 35 cents each in a box of 100. You can buy less than a full box.

Here is a link to a gauge chart with decimal inch sizes:

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

• pcarpenter
          • Jun 2005

I couldn't figure out how to paste a portion of the PDF version of the Propane Serviceman's Handbook so here is a reference to the page on-line. It has no real value except to show that burner orifices, in addition to being available in standard number drill sizes are apparently available in smaller sizes.

Maybe that would work for your purpose.

Paul

Paul Carpenter
          Mapleton, IL

Comment

• J Tiers
            • Jan 2004

Oil burner nozzles are great misters. They are rated in gallons per hour, but that is for oil at a certain temp and pressure, so you can't go by it directly.

But lower numbers are less flow in any case.

I can tell you that on local water pressure here they spray quite well, misting nicely. used to use them to mist seedbeds.
            CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
            Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
            Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
            I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
            Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

• john hobdeclipe
              • Jun 2005

The local big orange box sells these mist nozzles...they look just like carburetor jets...and pvc fittings threaded to match. I bought some about 4 years ago and made a little mister. I remember that the nozzles were kind of expensive at the time, but I haven't priced them lately.

Comment

• Your Old Dog
                • Dec 2004

drill the smallest hole you can in a brass tube and then whomp that sucker half shut with a BFH. If you use a tiny tube the water won't mist like you want. You may have to whomp several tubes to get the feel for the right size.
                - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

• madman
                  • Sep 2004

Super Mister Idea

I made some super nozzles years ago while trying to develop a free (waste oil heater nozzle design) I used a round ball drilled and tapped for pipe thread then painfully and slowly cut a .010 slot into it (theyre still sitting on my shelf) and then ran air through it while i dripped fluids (oil water would also work. The adjustable air pressure supply and the flow of water running over the top made a amazing huge mist. Try it you will be pleased with it. Mike

Comment

• lane
                    • Aug 2005

Another way of doing the same thing . From Hone Depot are your favorite Hard Ware store. Get a piece of poly flow tubing 1/4 Ø· and a few fittings to fit one end and plug the other in. With a sewing needle stick holes in side of tubing turn water on you have a mister . Made one 10 feet long along the side of my patio does wonders on hot days.
                    Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
                    http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
                    http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

• platypus2020
                      • May 2007

Originally posted by Evan
                      Disposable syringes are not prescription items
                      Evan,

Maybe in Canada, they are not a prescription item, but in in New York State and most states that surround us, they are a prescription item. I give myself allergy shots, you need a prescription for the syringes and for the serum. If you could just walk in and buy them, the junkies wouldn't be using dirty needles, like they do.

Jack
                      jack

Comment

• Evan
                        • May 2003

If you could just walk in and buy them, the junkies wouldn't be using dirty needles, like they do.
                        They would still be using dirty needles. It wouldn't make any difference. A junkie or speed freak isn't going to spend his hard stolen money on a syringe instead of more drugs.

BTW, you can still buy them from a vet. Just tell them that you are giving your piglets iron shots.
                        Last edited by Evan; 07-30-2007, 11:00 PM.
                        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

• ulav8r
                          • Oct 2002

If there are any chicken farms in your area, the mister nozzles should be available. The nozzle has a .025 to .040 roughly hole. There is also a small cylinder inside the nozzle that has 2 or 3 small slits at an angle across the corner of the cylinder to spin the water just before it exits the orifice. The misters are rated for flow in gallons per hour, if I remember correctly. Our 400 foot chicken houses had four rows of misters, with about a 20 foot interval between misters. About 80 misters putting out 4 or 6 gallons per hour. We used a booster pump to get the pressure to about 120 psi.

My wife bought a couple of decorative sprinklers, put them out last week to water some bushes. They each had a single mister pointed straight up, about 18 inches high. They did not put out enough mist to reach the ground without evaporating. I opened the holes to .046 in order to get some good out of them.
                          North Central Arkansas

Comment

• tiptop
                            • Feb 2007

Use a mig wire welding tip. cheap, easy to find, common thread size and they are copper. Have fun, Jay
                            "Just build it and be done"

Comment

• HTRN
                              • Jul 2004

Brownells sells LPG orifices for their pipe burners. Not cheap at $10 a pop..

HTRN
                              EGO partum , proinde EGO sum

Comment

Working...
                              X