PDA

View Full Version : Another oil seal question...

abn
05-05-2003, 03:32 AM
I bought a fancy (expensive) aluminum pinion yoke for my differential with an anodized surface. Anyway, the pinion seal is leaking and I was wondering if maybe the anodized surface is the culprit. I'm goin to change the seal out but the job sort of sucks and I don't want finish it up only to find out that seal problems with anodized surfaces are common.

Ed ke6bnl
05-05-2003, 07:21 AM
To be safe why not put on a seal saver, a thin hat that is used when the seal has worn a grove in the original I have used them on the pinion on my truck and on a harmonic damper. Ed ke6bnl so.calif.

------------------
Ed ke6bnl
Agua Dulce, Ca.
70 mi. S.E. of Los Angeles

Joel
05-05-2003, 03:18 PM
I assume you lubed the seal on installation, so it didn't run dry and burn up?

wierdscience
05-05-2003, 11:11 PM
Yes the problem is the anodize,if you look at it under a microscope anodize looks kind of like a honey comb,only made from aluminum oxide,always remember aluminum oxide is what they make grinding wheels out of its hard and doesn't wear.The ends of the honey comb pattern are open on the anodize unless it is sealed or filled with color dye,so you can think of it as a little rasp scapping away as it rotates.I would use a speedy sleeve in your app.and a viton seal instead of neoprene or rubber.Good luck hope this helps.