PDA

View Full Version : Criminal

GRH
08-03-2007, 09:16 AM
It's a crime that some body is taking apart a complete Atlas Milling machine and selling piece by piece on E-Bay.
Check it out, all the major castings , gears, feed screws table, everything.

Graeme

NickH
08-03-2007, 09:33 AM
Like a lot of things the whole is in fact less than the sum of it's parts, you can often sell enough of the parts to turm a profit.
You can see all the shortcomings of a machine when it's in one peice too :)
Nick

tattoomike68
08-03-2007, 09:40 AM
Thats as bad as the goofballs who tear apart a working lathe and sell the chucks, change gears, compound, and tailstock all separate. Then some poor sucker gets stuck with a lathe with no chucks, change gears, compound, and tailstock.

oldtiffie
08-03-2007, 09:52 AM
Deleted/edited-out

PTSideshow
08-03-2007, 10:30 AM
They are a lot of the old iron out there. The problem with selling it is the transportation charge factor. Unless somebody wants to pick it either close or on a road trip.
I can't tell you how many Home and other machinist's told me that you would be better off selling parts you will make more money, than selling the whole thing. I had a delta jig saw at the NAMES show two years in a row. I ended up selling the saw to one guy the contactor to somebody else and the stand to a third. At the same show. The cost for the three parts came to more than the whole item together yet not one of them wanted to buy it and sell the parts to the two other guys. At one point all three were standing there waiting for me to finish taking it apart. Who am I to argue with these three gents and their reasoning. I just figured it was my winning personality and salesmanship:rolleyes:
Could have been they didn't want to get dusty/dirty.
Could have been they didn't have room on the moped they drove to the show.
Could have been anything, all I know is I was $75.00 more to the good for splitting it.
I also sold a 10" small table saw there the guy wouldn't take it if the blade was on it. So I took it off and sold it later.
By the way why would I argue when the customer is always right:D

DR
08-03-2007, 10:49 AM
It's a crime that some body is taking apart a complete Atlas Milling machine and selling piece by piece on E-Bay.
Check it out, all the major castings , gears, feed screws table, everything.

Graeme

It might also be reasonable to conclude it's a good thing.

Once the parts are distributed to various buyers there might, in fact, be many more complete machines available for collectors.

Now, my rant would be on people who take complete 1930's cars and turn them into hot rods. What a waste. Just saw one of three known remaining 1933 Chevrolet open touring cars that had been hot rodded, that's a crime.

kendall
08-03-2007, 10:57 AM
I've got no real trouble with people selling off parts, if the machine is not in perfect order, sell the parts because people aren't goint to buy a machine that needs work for anywhere near what you can sell the parts for.

It's cheaper to buy a 'parts car' than to buy the parts, I've bought machines for $100 then spent $200 for a part. Have an old Logan lathe here that needs a part, and I've been offered more for a couple of the parts than I paid for the whole thing.

I've often bought machines from HF when I needed a few parts or components for some other project because it's much cheaper.

That being said, I realy hate it when you see a perfect machine in chunks on ebay.

Ken.

Too_Many_Tools
08-03-2007, 11:01 AM
Thats as bad as the goofballs who tear apart a working lathe and sell the chucks, change gears, compound, and tailstock all separate. Then some poor sucker gets stuck with a lathe with no chucks, change gears, compound, and tailstock.

You mean like most used equipment dealers do?

TMT

Your Old Dog
08-03-2007, 11:06 AM
I have opted to sell all of my stuff in one piece when it's time to cash out. I guess it's better for the stranger walking up the driveway to my garage sale to get a stellar deal then it is for me to make a profit on it?

In the same vain, maybe I should resist buying any other parts for my lathe that came off of someone else's lathe as I'm perpetuating the practice of selling off parts?

Nah! I'll reject that kind of thinking. If I can find a nice taper attachment for my SB9 at a bargain price I'll snatch it up! :D When I'm done with it I'll sell it off to raise as much money for my family as I can and not to save a stranger some money. But, that's just me talking and I admit to being a capitalist pig !

J Tiers
08-03-2007, 11:09 AM
Once the parts are distributed to various buyers there might, in fact, be many more complete machines available for collectors.

Or, there may just be a bunch of nice unworn parts distributed out to be put on a number of sway-backed worn-out machines that will be next in line to be junked. Junked complete with the newer parts, of course.

If they own it, they can destroy it if they want.

tattoomike68
08-03-2007, 11:28 AM
Years ago A foundry I worked at had a toolroom lathe that did not have a tailstock because some wizzard made a buck on it.

It was tons of fun to make parts on. :rolleyes:

IOWOLF
08-03-2007, 06:55 PM
OK, Not to defend any one But I don't know who or where it is, but a short time ago there was a mostly complete machine on ebay for $500 or so No bids.

And if it is his, He has the right, as do you or I.

Wanna buy an Atlas 10" tailstock? :)

lane
08-03-2007, 07:37 PM
The sum of the parts are worth more than the whole machine.Try buying a car a piece at a time.

John Stevenson
08-03-2007, 07:39 PM
I have been to a few auctions were the tailstocks have been removed from lathes by the employees in the hopes that they won't go so high and they already have the tailstock.

I bought a Colchester like this very cheap once, only one guy bidding.
After the auction he offered to 'find' me a tailstock and was a bit peeved when I said I wasn't interested.

I'd only bought it for the headstock as a customer had one with 4 broken gears that were going to cost more than this machine.