PDA

View Full Version : Albrecht chuck bought on Ebay

David S Newman
08-06-2007, 05:56 PM
I recieved today an Albrecht drill chuck (0/1/2) bought on Ebay and described as in good condition, well when I opened the box the chuck was so shiny not to be true, been polished all over with wire wool or emery cloth and all blacking removed, it looks like a mirror. Alarm bells now start ringing so I tested it for runout and hell over 35 thou total . Think I've been had, bad feedback looming for the seller if no refund given after my complaint to him. David

pcarpenter
08-06-2007, 06:23 PM
I would communicate with the guy first. I was taken the same way on an Ebay chuck that did state that it was tight, but also implied it might be able to be worked loose. Conveniently, it did not mention or show pictures of the hammering it had taken on both ends. The guy ended up sending me several other chucks he had of various varieties and I was able to render a couple of them useful including an old Ettco ball bearing chuck that cleaned up rather nicely. In any case, I then felt I got what I paid for and all was well.

How did you check runout? I found the best way was to use a spindle that removed most of the other sources of runout. If you put it in a DP, you show the runout of the drill press plus the arbor, plus the chuck. Drill presses are generally horrible.

If you instead close the chuck on say a nice ground 3/8 tool bit and put the other end of the tool bit in the lathe chuck, you can measure runout with a DTI in the arbor hole on the back side of the drill chuck. You can pull the drill chuck back off the tool bit and measure right on the tool bit to see how much runout is coming from your lathe chuck and the tool bit. If it turns out to be OK from this standpoint, I would take some gun blue and make it black again if thats important to you.

Paul

Alistair Hosie
08-06-2007, 08:03 PM
Paul can you buy gunblue in the uk? and how is it applied ?Alistair

IOWOLF
08-06-2007, 08:41 PM
Why does so many people come here to complain about an Ebayer before they contact him first, so many things can get done with a little diplomacy.

In the past I have been guilty of similar things.

Tim Clarke
08-06-2007, 08:54 PM
I got one on fleabay 3 or 4 years ago, that was shiny, also. I figured that it was due to somebody grabbing it to stop the spindle of whatever it was mounted on. Like you said, mirror smooth. However after diss. and cleaning, and lubing it and putting it on a nice, new arbor it is just fine.

Befor you dismiss this as junk, better measure the runout of the arbor without the chuck.

Brownell's sells a cold blue called Oxpho Blue. I've had really good luck with it.

TC

pcarpenter
08-06-2007, 11:06 PM
Allistair-- I don't know about sources for what is known as "cold bluing" in the UK. I do know that www.brownells.com (http://www.brownells.com) is one of the best sources for same. I too have used their Oxpho Blue and found it to be much better than many of the alternatives...and I have tried a few. Perhaps they will ship overseas?

Iowolf-- that's why I thought I would post what I did. I was one who recently posted about a drill chuck I got on Ebay and the poor description that went with it. Several here encouraged me to contact the seller first before "big dealing" the issue and it worked out in my favor, so I thought I would encourage the same.

I would also agree with the concern with the arbor. This is the reason for my suggestion about measuring without the arbor. I bought one used once and it looked good...but was the source of a lot of runout. It was a genuine Jacobs, but had perhaps seen better days. A cheap import replacement solved the problem.

Paul

ProGunOne
08-06-2007, 11:46 PM
In the past I have been guilty of simular things.

FYI, It's spelled similar. ;)

Rich Carlstedt
08-07-2007, 12:24 AM
Yes, Those eBay Albrecht Chucks are always a hassle.
I bought one with a 1/2 shank for 50 bucks and it looked almost brand new.
(Always look at the jaws !)
However when I chuck it up, it ran out .017.
I ordered a new shank, thinking I could replace the old bent one.
But I could not remove it..try as I might, it was solid.
So I mounted it in a Lathe collet and chucked a dowel pin and grabbed the old leather mallet, for some gentle persuasion......
After twenty very frustraiting minites,of tap and measure, tap and measure,
I turned on the spindle only to see about .015 of runout. I was so mad at my stupidity for thinking I could get a good Albrecht from eBay, that I smacked (good one too !) the chuck with the mallet ( while its running), before I tossed the whole works in the garbage.....only to see the most perfect running dowel you can imagine.. it was 0.0000..don't understand it, but I will take the results.
Some times 'luck" can trumph "skill"

Rich

JRouche
08-07-2007, 12:46 AM
Why does so many people come here to complain about an Ebayer before they contact him first, so many things can get done with a little diplomacy..

I have to agree with IO on this one. What happened to the simple idea of contacting the seller. Why do you need to ask advice on whether to contact him or not. Thats the silliest thing Iíve seen in awhile. Come to a forum and ask if you should contact someone who you bought a tool from..

Absolutely amazing. JRouche

pcarpenter
08-07-2007, 11:48 AM
I don't think the original poster asked any question about contacting the seller. He merely suggested that he was going to give bad feedback. I was encouraging him to contact the guy rather than just giving negative feedback as it may work out to his benefit.

I posted here a while back asking for advice and it really had less to do with "should I contact the seller" (which was the recommendation in the end) than with "am I justified in being dissatisfied given the picture and description, vs. the *actual* condition of the item. I can then decide what to do with regard to contacting the seller.

It seems there are folks who think that if they omit negative details then its just "buyer beware". A buyer can only "beware" based on item description and pictures as well as the feedback ratings for the seller. If a seller is unscrupulous enough to deceive (either directly in words, or by omission), there is little the buyer can do to detect that in advance in an Ebay auction.

Paul

A.K. Boomer
08-07-2007, 12:03 PM
I have to agree with IO on this one. What happened to the simple idea of contacting the seller. Why do you need to ask advice on whether to contact him or not. Thats the silliest thing Iíve seen in awhile. Come to a forum and ask if you should contact someone who you bought a tool from..

Geeze, lighten up, your the one who miss-read his post, so many people so quick to judge, This guys got 11 posts in and he's probably scratching his head wondering if he should ever post again:cool:

Ken_Shea
08-07-2007, 12:08 PM
Geeze, lighten up, your the one who miss-read his post, so many people so quick to judge, This guys got 11 posts in and he's probably scratching his head wondering if he should ever post again:cool:

Amen

David S Newman
08-07-2007, 12:58 PM
I have to agree with IO on this one. What happened to the simple idea of contacting the seller. Why do you need to ask advice on whether to contact him or not. Thats the silliest thing I’ve seen in awhile. Come to a forum and ask if you should contact someone who you bought a tool from..

Sir, rather than being so rude, if you had read my post correctly you would have seen I had contacted the seller. David

quasi
08-07-2007, 02:04 PM
I have bought a couple of chucks on ebay, both had a lot of run out-worn jaws- hammer marks. I guess that is why they were on ebay. I bought a set of the 29$ ball bearing jacobs chuck chinese clones on ebay. The WORST one for run out is .0015!

My new Bison Albrect clone has .004 runout. For drill chucks I am sticking with chinese chucks, when they wear out maybe I will put them on ebay!

JRouche
08-08-2007, 08:26 PM
Sir, rather than being so rude, if you had read my post correctly you would have seen I had contacted the seller. David

You are right, I did mis-read the post. Sorry, musta been too drunk.

JRouche

IOWOLF
08-08-2007, 09:08 PM
So, Have you heard from the seller yet?

Or are we supposed to guess it is over.

David S Newman
08-09-2007, 02:14 PM
So, Have you heard from the seller yet?

Or are we supposed to guess it is over.

Yes he replied last night and offered a full refund and his apologies. Seems a good Ebayer, probably was selling something he knew nothing about and had no means or knowhow of checking the chuck, but he certainly knew how to polish it. David