PDA

View Full Version : ER32 collets

wbleeker
08-08-2007, 05:20 AM
Just received a set of ER32 Collets, 3 mt chuck and a couple of spare nuts that I bought out of Hong Kong on OZ ebay, can recommend the supplier. I have just looked up machinery's handbook for the included angle of the collet can someone confirm that this is 16 degrees? I intend to make an adapter for my Takisawa lathe D1-6 camlock to ER32.
Will

John Stevenson
08-08-2007, 09:02 AM
Yes Will it is 16 degrees included. Thread is 40mm x 1.5 pitch.

wbleeker
08-08-2007, 06:26 PM
Thanks John
I enjoyed meeting you and having a bit of a chat, of course you inspired me to buy the collets!
Will

oldtiffie
08-09-2007, 10:36 AM
Deleted/edited-out

John Stevenson
08-09-2007, 01:34 PM
Tiff.
There's a misprint in that flyer.
the ER 11 collet has the same OD as the ER16 at 17mm
The OD of a ER collet is 1mm greater than the size designation so the ER11 should be 12mm
Handy when you have an odd one and want to know that range it is.

Will if you had said you wanted some ER collets there is a guy near me sells these and also backplate fitting chucks.

Thomas Staubo
08-09-2007, 03:29 PM
Yes Will it is 16 degrees included. Thread is 40mm x 1.5 pitch.

I would like to make an ER25 or ER32 collet adaptor to thread onto the spindle nose of my Myford lathe, some time in the future.
How would one set up the top slide angle to cut the 16 taper? I assume that the graduations on the top slide is not accurate enough.
Please enlighten me.:)

By the way; on the link above, the ER25 set is "sealed coolant proof", what the heck does that mean???
Is it just the plastic case that's coolant proof, or what?

Edit: I have the drawings for the collet adaptor.

Thomas
Norway

djc
08-09-2007, 04:08 PM
Just received a set of ER32 Collets...

Notwithstanding other helpful replies, a reference to bookmark is here:-

http://www.rego-fix.ch/english/support/technischeinfo/13-2.htm

chrisfournier
08-09-2007, 05:18 PM
I just finished cutting an ER40 collet holder on the end of a wood shaper spindle I made. I had to use a friend's goliath Monarch lathe to get the headstock spindle bore I needed, otherwise I made the spindle on my 12/36.

To set up the compound slide I mounted the appropriate ER40 collet on a piece of drill rod. I used a hose clamp at the front of the collet to make sure that it was snug on the drill rod. I placed the drill rod in a four jaw chuck and I dialed in the runout to as close to perfect as was possible. I then used the indicator on the collet taper to set the compound slide accurately. Locked everything down.

I removed the drill rod/collet and put my spindle in the four jaw chuck. Again I indicated it in for as little runout as I could muster.

I drilled out the collet holder to just under the minor diameter of the taper. Then I went at the taper with the compound. I kept a close eye on progress and finally tested the finished collet holder using a dowel pin to indicate from.

I ended up with .0005" TIR. Better than I could have hoped for given my skill set.

Patience with the four jaw chuck and indicator seem to be the keys to success. I bought the collets and collet nut/wrench from a supply house - not too expensive.

TGTool
08-09-2007, 05:19 PM
I would like to make an ER25 or ER32 collet adaptor to thread onto the spindle nose of my Myford lathe, some time in the future.
How would one set up the top slide angle to cut the 16 taper? I assume that the graduations on the top slide is not accurate enough.
Please enlighten me.:)

Thomas
Norway

I have angle blocks that make up to 8 degrees that I set along with a dowel into the ways of the compound (retracted waaay back) and use an indicator making sure that as the carriage is moved, the outside of the angle blocks are parallel to the ways. Bluing can also be used to check contact, but must be done carefully to make sure you're not compressing the collet and making it conform to the cavity.

As an alternative, you might contrive to put a blank shaft between centers, then a long travel indicator perpendicular to the blank, and move the compound slide say 2" then see if this corresponds to to 2*sin(8 degrees). Make sure shaft is parallel to lathe centerline first, etc.

wbleeker
08-09-2007, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone, John at the time I wasn't thinking about collets or anything heavy when you are living out of a suitcase for six weeks you try and keep the weight at a minimum! as it was the bloody greeks charged us 430 euro's for excess baggage at Heraklion Airport, 10 Euro's per kilo, I was the last person in the group of five so I ended up paying it to get our boarding passes, and they even made my wife put her handbag on the scales? I did complain to Thompson Air.
Needless to say when we got back to Nottingham we posted some stuff home they told us about six weeks that was on the 25th of June, still waiting!
If I could get one of those backplate chucks fairly easily that would be good.
Will

John Stevenson
08-09-2007, 06:48 PM
Will,
They are on this page.

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/en-gb/dept_195.html

I know they ship to OZ but it depends on what will be the best way because of carriage.

wbleeker
08-10-2007, 04:36 AM
Thanks John, I will email for freight cost and work it all out, one Aussie dollar is around two and a half pounds so it is fairly easy to go over the top on some of these things. Tiffie, thanks for the reply I gather you didn't realise that I am also in OZ
Will

oldtiffie
08-10-2007, 06:36 AM
Deleted/edited-out

wbleeker
08-11-2007, 03:56 AM
Thanks a lot Tiffie
John told me how much it cost you to get your stuff out here, it can be very expensive when it is times 2.5!, I will probably opt for as slow as possible because I am never in a hurry, there is always something to do being in a business like us, hopefully by the time I retire in 20 years I will have everything I need !
Will

Oh and I forgot to add, my location wasn't in the top RH corner when you posted, it used to be and then disappeared with a software upgrade or something, I see you have been here since 1999 and only got 66 posts ?? something wrong somewhere
Will

oldtiffie
08-11-2007, 04:51 AM
Deleted/edited-out