PDA

View Full Version : Chevrolet's Hottest of Alltime

Guido
08-08-2007, 09:09 PM
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p86/Guido_album/bbq.jpg

One of Chevy's better ideas?

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p86/Guido_album/bbq2.jpg

How 'bout a HAAS CNC of some kind? About 3/4 scale? Fabbed of sheet metal with window, sitting on the patio, smoking away?

Tri tip and sausage in one hour, 'nuther beer?

G

BadDog
08-08-2007, 09:15 PM
Now that's just wicked cool, and someone with WTF TOO MUCH TIME ON THEIR HANDS! :p

wierdscience
08-08-2007, 10:02 PM
To make it more realistic you need the rear main puking oil and the starter hanging by a cable:D

BadDog
08-08-2007, 10:17 PM
You could always make one from a Ford. Then the cooking grease stains would look like oil leaks and billowing smoke would look more authentic. ;) Of course the performance "look" would be totally out of place since we all know that there is no point in using a Ford when performance is important... :p

madman
08-08-2007, 10:18 PM
Connecting Rod Hanging out of the engine block. Like my chevs always did.

kendall
08-08-2007, 10:59 PM
it's a shoveaway.

I'm a ford fan, my buddy is into chevy, my other buddy has a wicked dodge, we all rag on each other about em.
It's fun to rag on cars, but in my honest opinion, all the makers have been in business forever, and they don't stay around that long building junk.

Fact though, a few years ago my chevy buddy and I built up engines, (289 for me 283 shovy for him) we went for pretty much the same specs, compression, cam, carb (carter/edlebrock for me holley for him) etc when we were done we broke them in then got into a couple races, for the first month or so he was always coming out ahead, after three months I was running right beside him, after six months I was regularly beating him, after two years my 289 was still running strong and his needed a rebuild.

ken.

Rookie machinist
08-08-2007, 11:05 PM
That looks great man, you build it yourself? Thought the clock I made from the front of a sb chevy was took, but this takes first prize.

Fasttrack
08-08-2007, 11:55 PM
i'm a chevy fan but like you say, they all are more or less equal in quality.

What i have noticed though is that around here all of the hotrods have gm parts on them. For example, i've run across alot of ford t-buckets that have corvette suspension, sbc, and gm trannys. I very rarely see a ford tranny or engine souped up around here. Maybe its just the fact that its easier to rebuild a chevy (no silly shims on the rocker arms etc) or that the parts are easier to find...

<edit> p.s. that is a kickass grill!!!!

IOWOLF
08-09-2007, 06:19 AM
"You can build a faster Chevy,cheaper"

That holds true, Back to the grill... If it was a Dodge it wouldn't have made it out of the garage. :)

Doc Nickel
08-09-2007, 06:50 AM
I hate to agree, but them's the facts.

I started out an Olds guy. First motor I ever built back in my formative years was a 455 Olds for my '66 Toronado. (Which I still have, lo these many years later.)

All the other braggarts in high school shop class were segregated into the usual "Ford vs. Chevy" camps, giving each other the usual "don't start? Must be a Ford!" and "I found your problem- it's a Chevy!" ribbing, and so I thought I needed to be blindly brand-loyal as well.

I'd get annoyed at photos in Hot Rod of a Cutlass or 442 with a big-block Chevy rather than the (in my mind) superior Olds block. And for what it is and what it's in, yeah, I made some nice power, and easily, in my Olds.

But today? Hell, that olds was old tech then, and it's thirty year old tech now. Relatively thin wall iron blocks with two-bolt mains and not enough meat to drill 'em for four bolts, iron heads with seventies carbureted smogger ports and chambers, an oiling system that lubed the cam first and then trickled what was left down to the crank...

Yeah, my Toromotor probably gives me 380 HP on iron manifolds and a Q-jet, and probably north of 500 Ft/lb (hell, those are the specs from 1968, on points ignition and a lazy cam.) But with minimal effort and off-the-shelf parts, I could get 450 HP pretty easy out of a small-block Chevy.

Parts are easily available for the Chevy that either don't exist, or are fabulously expensive for the Olds- a Chevy steel crank? $500. Olds steel crank? $1,500 for one of the ultra-rare factory '68s, or $2,700 for an aftermarket race item. Aluminum heads? Rebuilt Vortecs for the Chevy for $400 a pair ready to bolt on, or almost-decent Edelbrocks for the Olds, for $2,200 bare. Four-bolt high-performance blocks? $50 for a good Chevy core out of a junkyard, and not available at any price for the Olds.

So yeah, today when I want a good, reliable engine, I build a small block Chevy. If I want an interesting engine, an unconventional motor to go into an unconventional car, well, I still have three big-block Olds and five 472/500 Cadillac core motors laying around. :D

Doc.