PDA

View Full Version : Wiring a repulsion motor?

Rif
08-09-2007, 12:25 PM
Well, I thought I had everything ready to go and then I started to examine the motor wiring. This thing is so old you can almost feel Nicola Tesla standing over your shoulder. It has old wick oilers, with caps, and the wiring is (was) cloth covered. I didn't think it would be a problem because there are instructions, on a plate, that tell you how to wire it for "115" and "230" volts. So, I was going to temporarily wire it for 115. The problem is that you can no longer tell which wire is which. All of the insulation is either black or missing. (It had electrical tape on it; but, I'll have to replace it with something now...like shrink tubing.) So, I opened the motor up to follow the wiring. After a little bit of research, I realize that I am looking at an AC repulsion motor. (Now I understand why the bracket, that holds the brushes, can be set in two positions...to change the direction of rotation.)

Anyhow, I figure that I can map out the 4 wires with a meter and will do so tonight. I figure that the coils (there are 4) are wired in series for 230 volts and 2 sets of coils wired in parallel for 115 volts. Does anyone know which order the coils should be wired? Better yet, can anyone direct me to a schematic as to how this motor should be wired. I just don't want to make a guess, wire it wrong, and burn it out.

Thanks in advance,

Brian

Carld
08-09-2007, 12:35 PM
I've had to wire a few repulsive motors in my time.

Repulsive-State of causing aversion.

I think in this case you may be wiring up a sudden and interesting failure. You say the wiring is cloth covered and falling off. What do you think the wiring in the rest of the motor is like?? Don't you suppose it is failing too??? I think you may have a situation where all the magic smoke is released and will have to reset a breaker.

A flash of lightning, a puff of smoke and a hardy hye 'yo silver away.

Better take it to a motor shop and find out how much it costs to rewire it, then throw it away and buy a new motor.

Rif
08-09-2007, 02:11 PM
I've had to wire a few repulsive motors in my time.

Repulsive-State of causing aversion.

I think in this case you may be wiring up a sudden and interesting failure. You say the wiring is cloth covered and falling off. What do you think the wiring in the rest of the motor is like?? Don't you suppose it is failing too??? I think you may have a situation where all the magic smoke is released and will have to reset a breaker.

A flash of lightning, a puff of smoke and a hardy hye 'yo silver away.

Better take it to a motor shop and find out how much it costs to rewire it, then throw it away and buy a new motor.

Well, the cloth insulation only exists up to the coils. I don't think there will be a problem If I put shrink wrap around the wire. The wiring, for the coils, appear to be enamel covered. I have the motor disassembled, at this time, and can see that the wiring in the motor needs to be insulated before I even attempt to start wiring this up.

I am going to check it out, with a meter, beforehand to make sure that all of the coils have the same resistance.

If the motor smokes, it smokes. On the other hand if I can get it working, it will save me a lot of money. (Yes, I'll ground it out, before anyone starts mentioning that issue.) I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction as to how these things are normally wired up.

Thanks,

Brian

Rif
08-09-2007, 03:00 PM
Ok, this site tells me what I need to know:

http://www.vias.org/feee/c13_motors_13.html

Brian

paulx
08-09-2007, 03:03 PM
There are two circuits.Light them out.Mark one circuit 1 and 2 the other circuit 3 and 4.Hook up the 230 volt connection first.1 to line,2 and 3 together,4 to line. Try this out with 115 volts.If the motor does not work switch the number tags 3 to 4 and 4 to 3.
The 115 volt connection is 1 and 3 to line and 2 and4 4 to line.

Good luck!