PDA

View Full Version : Whipp Shaper video

Evan
08-09-2007, 12:59 PM
I have produced a short video showing my shaper in operation. Not too exciting I'm sure but it shows all the main components of the shaper in operation and identifies them. It's 2 1/2 minutes long.

I'm providing it as a low res version here at first which is a 2.8 megabyte download. If anyone would like a higher res version please say so. I will then pm you with a link to download from. I don't want it found in the high res version by a search engine or it will kill my server. The high res version is a 12 mb download. The full res version is also available (37MB) but you will have to convince me you need it. :p

I retain the copyright to the video but you are free to copy and distribute for free as you wish.

http://vts.bc.ca/pics2/whipp4bbslo.wmv

platypus2020
08-09-2007, 01:22 PM
Evan,

The link for the video doesn't seem to work, could you check it please.

Jack

Scatterplot
08-09-2007, 03:04 PM
Evan's internets are broken.

(I wanna see the video!) :p

Edit: Hey, I found it. Evan, it's in your pics2 directory, the same as the load test video. Here's the right link:
http://vts.bc.ca/pics2/whipp4bbslo.wmv
Cool video, I'd never seen a shaper work before. Now I want one :D

I must also admit, I'm very bored right now and am busying myself trying to guess the filename of your higher resolution video... so far I can't seem to find it. :)

Evan
08-09-2007, 04:12 PM
[smacks forehead with chipping hammer]

I'm glad you found it. That is exactly why I made the video. It's for people that have never seen a shaper operate before which was me just a few months ago.

I must also admit, I'm very bored right now and am busying myself trying to guess the filename of your higher resolution video... so far I can't seem to find it.
Lotsa luck. It's not in a directory that I use for posting.

I'll PM you a link in a little while.

platypus2020
08-09-2007, 04:49 PM
Evan,

Very interesting, nice machine, haved seen one work in about 40-45 years.

jack

topct
08-09-2007, 05:14 PM
Don't skip over this if you've never seen a shaper working.

Amazing what 2 1/2 minutes of video and a few words can convey.

Joel
08-09-2007, 05:19 PM
Good video. Nicely done.

Alistair Hosie
08-09-2007, 05:28 PM
Did you know Williams is a Welsh name?Alistair

Evan
08-09-2007, 05:38 PM
My middle name is Gordon.

Dawai
08-09-2007, 05:52 PM
OK..

Ever seen a motor-grind rock mounted on a shaper as a surfacer?

Ever seen a knurling tool mounted to put knurls on a flat surface?

Ever seen inside keyway cutting? spline?

My lil southbend is pretty neat. It cuts slow thou. Lots faster than I do with a file.

pcarpenter
08-09-2007, 05:53 PM
I love to see them work. I think we like shapers for the same reason we like steam engines....way more moving parts than you get in any other implementation:D

There really is something about reciprocal motion in old machines that is fascinating, maybe even mesmerizing. Everything runs in circles now days:rolleyes:

Paul

Evan
08-09-2007, 05:59 PM
Even my wife likes it. She was complaining because the sound of it in the garage is just audible in the living room and she said it put her to sleep.

There really is something about reciprocal motion in old machines that is fascinating, maybe even mesmerizing.

Uh huh. Sort of like a giant... um.. Ram. Yeah, that's it.

IOWOLF
08-09-2007, 06:35 PM
Evan, My manual says to start a 1/2 " before the start of cut and 1/4" past after the cut, or some such.

BadDog
08-09-2007, 09:26 PM
Amazing what 2 1/2 minutes of video and a few words can convey.
2-1/2 minutes? I've been watching it since this morning, didn't realize the player was on loop. Now my whole day is gone... zzz, shhhh, zzzz, shhhh, ...

Fasttrack
08-09-2007, 09:54 PM
Was that aluminum or steel ... hard to tell in the video.

I think someone posted a video of a metal planer here a while back. Shapers and planers just kick ass. I never get tired of watching them. Thanks for the video!!

Evan
08-09-2007, 10:04 PM
That is 1018 mild steel. I haven't even tried it on aluminum yet.

dp
08-09-2007, 10:08 PM
Nice video, Evan - I've also never seen one in action before. I also didn't realize yours is a 16" version. Without some kind of reference they kind of all look alike. I've been trying to locate a 7" or greater shaper here in the Seattle area and they're scarce to non-existent.

lane
08-09-2007, 10:59 PM
Evan you running it too slow . speed it up . And adjust your clapper box to swing out and away from the cut on return stroke. I trying to find me one . At least a 10 inch. Don`t know where I would put it though.

Fasttrack
08-09-2007, 11:03 PM
Hey Evan - sometime i'd like to see a photo of the finish that it produced on that plate. It looked pretty good in the video. Thats really cool!

quasi
08-09-2007, 11:15 PM
Evan, what kind of bit are you using, a rougher or a finishing type bit?

Evan
08-09-2007, 11:44 PM
OK Lane, I"ll try that.

In the video I was roughing that plate. It is warped from welding and I wanted it flat. I can't show the finish that the cut produced because I have already done a finishing pass since then. It was pretty equivalent to a rough cut on a lathe. You can't tell squat in the video, it's really low resolution. Even in the high res version it's hard to really tell what the finish is like. You need to have a very good hi res still photo to be able to judge.

Al Messer
08-10-2007, 12:09 AM
Pinging David Coffer:

David--How "snug" is the table support supposed to be on the SB-7? If I tighten it down to prevent all up-and-motion of the bed when cutting it puts an awful strain on the feedscrew and nut. What is the correct amount of pressure? TIA

S_J_H
08-10-2007, 02:54 PM
Nice, very nice video! I have to admit that is my first time watching a shaper in action.

Steve

hoof
08-10-2007, 03:45 PM
I have never seen on in operation either. Thanks for sharing.

Ray

Evan
08-10-2007, 05:34 PM
OK Lane, I stuck a bigger pulley on the drive and cranked it up to about 50 strokes per minute :eek: :eek:

Holy crap! That isn't soothing anymore. I don't feel at all interested in standing in front of it. If that ram somehow came off it would launch across the shop. Seriously, the finish didn't change much but it sure will get done a lot faster. I read that during WWII they cranked them up to 180 strokes per min on the bigger ones like mine.

Thanks for the compliments guys and if anyone wants a link to the hi res version just ask.

tattoomike68
08-10-2007, 05:59 PM
Upload that video to youtube and share it with the world, im sure people who have never seen a shaper and dont post here will find it.

speedy
08-10-2007, 08:33 PM
Upload that video to youtube and share it with the world, im sure people who have never seen a shaper and dont post here will find it.

Whooop! can you see the price of shapers heading for the stratosphere:eek:
Not to hijack. Here is one on Youtube Mike. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZYe-b-iGb0

Nice video Evan. I would be interested in a high res version for my shaper file. Cheers.

Evan
08-10-2007, 09:30 PM
The link is in the aether.

Al Messer
08-10-2007, 09:56 PM
Good show, Evan. Thanks for posting it.

speedy
08-11-2007, 02:00 AM
The link is in the aether
Thank you Evan.

Optics Curmudgeon
08-11-2007, 04:13 PM
The YouTube video is interesting, it shows one of the two most common setup mistakes people make with shapers - it's running backwards. The other is having the feed on the cut stroke, but that's much less of an issue, just puts more strain on the feed parts. With the machine running backwards the cut speed is off and there is much more strain on the drive. Oh, I also would have pulled the crank off before starting it, but I'm picky (obviously). As for the speed we run shapers at, they are not machines that are in a hurry to begin with, and some operations are best done slow anyway. Internal stuff, for example. Get in a hurry running a shaper and the next thing you know you're counting in base 9.

Joe

dp
08-11-2007, 05:49 PM
Everything you can know about shapers:
http://www.neme-s.org/shapers/shaper_faq.html

Or not. Certainly a lot of stuff, though.