PDA

View Full Version : need help with computer problem

speedsport
08-09-2007, 11:07 PM
My PC is acting up , when I turn it on I can hear the cooling fan running but the light that shows the computer is on is burning dim and the cd/dvd trays will not open when the button is pushed, when I turn the monitor on it says "going to sleep" and it does. I have tried unplugging and that didn't help. I am using my wifes laptop and I don't like it. Any help greatly appreciated.

TGTool
08-09-2007, 11:21 PM
Just a shot in the dark, but is the power supply switchable between 120/240? I've seen desktops that arrived set for use in other parts of the world.

kendall
08-10-2007, 02:27 AM
Is it a factory PC or a home-built?

sounds like a power supply issue, if it's a factory pc, you need to find out what power supply it uses, some are proprietery and can't use off-the-shelf power supplies, just about any homebuilt can use standard power supplies. so the only problem is determining what plug style the mobo uses, 20 or 24 pin. they can be picked up about anywhere for fairly cheap

Check power supply using these 'guides':

http://www.techsupportforum.com/hardware-support/ram-power-supply-support/151526-stickies.html

Unless you only buy turn-key systems, go for the biggest and best power supply you can find. also, a power supply is one component where you can pretty accurately judge quality by weight. if you have two otherwise equal power supplies. the heavy one is normally better.

Ken.

Evan
08-10-2007, 02:30 AM
What Ken said. The weight is an excellent indicator of power supply quality since the heavier it is the bigger the heat sinks. Almost certainly you need a new power supply.

jim davies
08-11-2007, 01:50 AM
Oddly enough, the wife's PC was dead on startup the other day. I watched her flounder with it for a while, then checked it out myself. No signs of life. While she flopped around twiddling stuff, I picked up a pen and flicked the 110-220 volt selector switch a couple of times. next time I hit the on button it came back to life...