PDA

View Full Version : Verizon Fios

platypus2020
08-10-2007, 07:43 PM
I just has Verizon Fios installed at home this week, giving me fiber optic phone service and internet, went completely wireless on all of the computers, so far its great. The internet access in instant, just click and boom its there, much faster than the RoadRunner I had. Has anyone else had it installed? if so are you satistifed?

jack

J Tiers
08-10-2007, 10:01 PM
How you gonna call when the power goes out? The backup battery only lasts a short time. Cell often is out also when power is down.

There is something to be said for "old fashioned" telephone wires.

platypus2020
08-10-2007, 10:25 PM
J Tiers,

Still have one regular (old fashion) phone line, that runs a dedicated fax machine for the industrial boiler business.

jack

J Tiers
08-10-2007, 10:38 PM
Ah, I have seen elsewhere that when you go fiber, they tear out the wires so you don't have them anymore....

platypus2020
08-10-2007, 11:02 PM
They left the original wires in place and the original line is still active, just not hooked to the house wiring, terminated into a modular block, tech said they don't shut them off or remove them anymore, the fiber optic line comes from a different junction panel, and was run next to the original line and wire tied to it, was also told they could switch back to the copper lines with a flick of a switch, and a jumper cable, between the modular block and the house wiring terminal.

jack