PDA

View Full Version : home shop machinists in the movies

aostling
08-12-2007, 10:45 PM
It's quiz time.

I can think of three Hollywood movies in which a mechanical modeler/inventor/machinist was the hero. One is The World's Fastest Indian, mentioned not so long ago here. What are two more?

Dragons_fire
08-12-2007, 11:20 PM
Flight of the Phoenix

RetiredFAE
08-12-2007, 11:36 PM
Would "Flubber" count?? Or Back to the Future? Maybe not, Doc Brown was more of a co hero in those flicks.

aostling
08-12-2007, 11:40 PM
Flight of the Phoenix

Yes, that's one. Can you think of the other?

aostling
08-12-2007, 11:42 PM
Would "Flubber" count?? Or Back to the Future? Maybe not, Doc Brown was more of a co hero in those flicks.

Well, I wasn't thinking of Doc Brown, but I guess you could make a case for him. He is more of a mad scientist, but we do have one or two here.

lazlo
08-12-2007, 11:48 PM
Flight of the Phoenix

Flight of the Phoenix?? Who was the machinist? Are you talking about the model airplane guy? That's a pretty big stretch :)

I think Burt Munro (from "The World's Fastest Indian") might be a stretch too -- he was a fantastic motorcycle mechanic, but as shown in the movie, he lived in, and did all his work on his motorcycle in a little shed, and I didn't see any machinery in there :)

lazlo
08-12-2007, 11:58 PM
I was curious about what mods Burt Munro made to his Indian, and found this tribute on a New Zealand web page. I'm not sure what to make of the "hand carved connecting rods" -- is that literal? :)

http://www.indianmotorbikes.com/features/munro/munro.htm

"Burt began modifying his bike in 1926. His methods, to say the least, were unorthodox. He used an old spoke for a micrometer and cast parts in old tins although one American report has him casting pistons in holes in the sand at the local beach! He built his own four-cam design to replace the standard two-cam system and converted to overhead valves.

He made his own barrels, flywheels, pistons, cams and followers and lubrication system. In their final form he in effect hand-carved his con-rods from a Caterpillar tractor axle, and hardened and tempered them to 143 tons tensile strength. He built a seventeen plate, thousand pound pressure clutch and used a triple chain drive. He experimented with streamlining and, in its final form, the bike was completely enclosed in a streamlined shell.The leaf-sprung fork was dispensed with and what appears to be a girder fork from a 1925 - 1928 Prince substituted."

Kenb
08-13-2007, 12:09 AM
Heros? Well, there was the fat guy who got his hand blown off by Bruce Willis in day of the jackal. Then there was the machinist movie of course. You have to define Hero<g>

aostling
08-13-2007, 12:25 AM
Then there was the machinist movie of course. You have to define Hero<g>

I didn't know about The Machinist. It has a good rating on IMDb http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0361862/ .

So, we have Flight of the Phoenix. A clue to the third movie I was thinking of: it involves another Phoenix.

TGTool
08-13-2007, 12:48 AM
So, we have Flight of the Phoenix. A clue to the third movie I was thinking of: it involves another Phoenix.

Oh, you're thinking of that Harry Potter movie with something about a phoenix where the bullies and idiots in management are trying to grind our little hero down. Hmm. :rolleyes:

lazlo
08-13-2007, 12:52 AM
Heros? Well, there was the fat guy who got his hand blown off by Bruce Willis in day of the jackal.

Oh, that's right -- that was Jack Black (from "School of Rock")! Now he was really a machinist. A one-armed machinist, but hey... ;)

lazlo
08-13-2007, 12:54 AM
Oh, you're thinking of that Harry Potter movie with something about a phoenix where the bullies and idiots in management are trying to grind our little hero down. Hmm. :rolleyes:

Well, if we're going to count model airplane designers as machinists, how about Doctor Octavius from Spider Man -- he designed his robotic appendages :)

aostling
08-13-2007, 01:04 AM

This has gone on long enough. I was thinking of Mosquito Coast, in which Harrison Ford is the inventor/tinkerer who moves his family to the wilderness. His son is played by River Phoenix.

A.K. Boomer
08-13-2007, 04:36 AM
Lets face it, its not a great plot for a lead in a Hollywood movie, the grease encrusted hands on some hot little blond just dont do it for most people not to mention the luv seens when she gets "pricked" by a chunk of 304 that was laying around in the guys bed... A guy who really knows his way around machinery speaks of an older gentleman and while Dirty old men may indeed need luv too, lets try not to even conjure up the "image" let alone recreate it in a movie, its one of those things that you know happens on occation but really shouldnt ever be talked about, kinda like thinking about your parents having sex in thier 70's... its just wrong.

John Stevenson
08-13-2007, 04:45 AM
Lets face it, its not a great plot for a lead in a Hollywood movie, the grease encrusted hands on some hot little blond just dont do it for most people not to mention the luv seens when she gets "pricked" by a chunk of 304 that was laying around in the guys bed... A guy who really knows his way around machinery speaks of an older gentleman and while Dirty old men may indeed need luv too, lets try not to even conjure up the "image" let alone recreate it in a movie, its one of those things that you know happens on occation but really shouldnt ever be talked about, kinda like thinking about your parents having sex in thier 70's... its just wrong.

It would be nice at 60...............................................

Swarf&Sparks
08-13-2007, 10:07 AM
does "No Highway" count?

A.K. Boomer
08-13-2007, 10:17 AM
It would be nice at 60...............................................

I do hope your talking about Miles Per Hour (just kiddin:p ) (( I know you blokes go by KPH:D)) again kiddin.

Rusty Marlin
08-13-2007, 11:25 AM
How about Crantkerus Potts in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang??

I want that car!

Dragons_fire
08-13-2007, 12:17 PM
Flight of the Phoenix?? Who was the machinist? Are you talking about the model airplane guy? That's a pretty big stretch :)

I think Burt Munro (from "The World's Fastest Indian") might be a stretch too -- he was a fantastic motorcycle mechanic, but as shown in the movie, he lived in, and did all his work on his motorcycle in a little shed, and I didn't see any machinery in there :)

he actually said, modeler/inventor/machinist.. and the guy form flight of the phoenix would fall into modeler and somewhat inventor

KyMike
08-13-2007, 12:26 PM
An old black & white movie from the 1930's called The Black Legion shows a large, well equipped machine shop. In one of the first scenes Humphrey Bogart is operating a large mill (or at least turning the handles if not actually making chips) and later gets involved with a sinister, underground gang of workers from the shop.

There is another from around the same era, which I can't recall the name of at the moment, that in one part has George Raft as an ex-con working in a foundry. Although not really a machinist movie, it does show what looked to me like a crew pouring real iron into sand molds.

Mike

Evan
08-13-2007, 12:47 PM
I was in The Thirteenth Warrior. I wasn't exactly the hero though as I only appeared on screen for a few seconds. :D

http://vts.bc.ca/extra.htm

aostling
08-13-2007, 01:42 PM
I was in The Thirteenth Warrior. I wasn't exactly the hero though as I only appeared on screen for a few seconds. :D

http://vts.bc.ca/extra.htm

Evan,

Nice duds! I hope you got to keep them.

Malc-Y
08-13-2007, 01:56 PM
What about "Carbine Williams" starring James Stewart?

Malc :)

Ausserdog
08-13-2007, 02:41 PM
How about 'Chain Reaction' with Keanu Reeves playing a graduate student / machinist?

Tinkerer
08-13-2007, 03:45 PM
Ok I remember seeing a movie along time ago... can't remember the name but always remembered the plot. Seems and Older Gent was a maintenance man for a tenant building in a declining area of a city... that had been targeted by a scumbag that had everyone afraid of him. One day the Old Guy sees the scumbag attacking a lady and tries to intercede. He grabs the scumbag from behind but was unable to hang on to him... but does stop attack SB runs away yelling how he'd get the Old Guy for interfering. So for the next bit of the movie they show him in his work shop making a set of metal armlets with eyes and clasps that went along with a leather vest and some cabling. Move forward shows Old guy walking with tench coat on rainy sidewalks with scumbag lurking in alley waiting to get Old Guy... scumbag comes out of shadows and confronts him... taunts him about dying and stabs Old Guy. But to his surprise the Old Guy bear hugs scumbag and locks up armlets trapping scumbag till cops show up. Old Guy loaded into ambulance.. Roll credits. Anyone else recall seeing this movie?

A.K. Boomer
08-13-2007, 04:00 PM
Thanks Tink, dont know why i found that so damn funny!, I guess its the OG/SB thing and just the fact that the entire plot of the movie about fit into one sentence!!! Im still laughing my ass off:D

Tinkerer
08-13-2007, 04:14 PM
Well that's the Machinist Digest version... :D

japcas
08-13-2007, 04:25 PM
I figured someone would have mentioned The Astronaut Farmer with Billy Bob Thornton. I've never seen it but didn't he build a rocket in his barn?

lazlo
08-13-2007, 04:37 PM
In Ocean's 11, they had a Bridgeport in their shop and it was running a flycutter (unattended). This was when they were building the components for the fake bank vault.

old-biker-uk
08-13-2007, 04:45 PM
Not Home Machinist but Burt Lancaster pours a mean ladle of bearing metal for a loco driving rod in 'The Train'
Mark

goose
08-13-2007, 04:51 PM
Ok I remember seeing a movie along time ago... can't remember the name but always remembered the plot. Seems and Older Gent was a maintenance man for a tenant building in a declining area of a city... ....................... Anyone else recall seeing this movie?

I do recall that movie, It was called Siege, and was, I think, made-for-tv. It was a very 70's movie, with a black super-villian (Darion Harewood), inept cops, and elderly residents living in a ghetto/urban blight setting. Martin Balsam was the hero. It comes around every once in a while, like on the Lifetime channel or similar.

Gary

aboard_epsilon
08-13-2007, 05:01 PM
Hell Drivers 1957

brilliant film ...
in one seen a lathe gets totalled after being used as an anchor to stop truck leaving garage.

all the best.mark

Tinkerer
08-13-2007, 06:10 PM
I do recall that movie, It was called Siege, and was, I think, made-for-tv. It was a very 70's movie, with a black super-villian (Darion Harewood), inept cops, and elderly residents living in a ghetto/urban blight setting. Martin Balsam was the hero. It comes around every once in a while, like on the Lifetime channel or similar.

Gary

Gary first off... Welcome. Yes that is it... Thanks.

banjoallen
08-13-2007, 06:38 PM
TV movie- The Homecoming(The Waltons). John Walton was a machinist.Tried to get John Boy interested.

lane
08-13-2007, 08:40 PM
Ok I remember seeing a movie along time ago... can't remember the name but always remembered the plot. Seems and Older Gent was a maintenance man for a tenant building in a declining area of a city... that had been targeted by a scumbag that had everyone afraid of him. One day the Old Guy sees the scumbag attacking a lady and tries to intercede. He grabs the scumbag from behind but was unable to hang on to him... but does stop attack SB runs away yelling how he'd get the Old Guy for interfering. So for the next bit of the movie they show him in his work shop making a set of metal armlets with eyes and clasps that went along with a leather vest and some cabling. Move forward shows Old guy walking with tench coat on rainy sidewalks with scumbag lurking in alley waiting to get Old Guy... scumbag comes out of shadows and confronts him... taunts him about dying and stabs Old Guy. But to his surprise the Old Guy bear hugs scumbag and locks up armlets trapping scumbag till cops show up. Old Guy loaded into ambulance.. Roll credits. Anyone else recall seeing this movie?

Yes I saw that movie but can no remember who or when might have been on TV

IOWOLF
08-13-2007, 08:59 PM
The bad guys in the Mad Max series.

And Artemus Gordon of Wild Wild West fame.

Newly in Gunsmoke

goose
08-13-2007, 09:27 PM
Gary first off... Welcome.

Thank you!

Another movie - (albeit a pretty bad one), Flashdance - the girl did welding as her day job...

Gary

tattoomike68
08-14-2007, 01:56 AM
I don't know the name but there was a movie where a guy lost his family to some type of road rage, built a armor plated 4 X 4 with a remote control harpoon gun that would shoot and drag in cars where he would Kick their butts.

It was a good movie 25 years old or so..

mjydrafter
08-14-2007, 03:05 PM
The movie October Sky has a older Polish machinist helping some young men make rocket nozzles. Even has some working shots. I just watched Chain Reaction last weekend and old Keanu leaves his lathe unattended but running in most of the scenes...

A.K. Boomer
08-14-2007, 04:32 PM
Polish machinist helping some young men make rocket nozzles.

There's a joke in there somewhere...

Asquith
08-14-2007, 06:36 PM
Not home shop machining, but there was a good (but bleak) 1960 film called 'The Angry Silence' starring a Richard Attenborough. About striking, blacklegging and being 'sent to Coventry' in an engineering works. A fair bit of machining going on, and young Dicky seemed to know what levers to operate on a vertical boring mill. I believe the machine shop shots were filmed in the works of Reavell Ltd., Ipswich.

HWooldridge
08-14-2007, 08:02 PM
Ok I remember seeing a movie along time ago... can't remember the name but always remembered the plot. Seems and Older Gent was a maintenance man for a tenant building in a declining area of a city... that had been targeted by a scumbag....Old Guy loaded into ambulance.. Roll credits. Anyone else recall seeing this movie?

Yeah, I saw that. Martin Balsam was the Old Guy, a character actor who looked like Ernest Borgnine (but wasn't) and the scumbag looked like Denzel Washington (but wasn't) - Dorian Harewood sounds right - was a 'white fright' movie. Was around 1973 or so because it was after my dad passed away - I remember because he would have liked it and I know we didn't watch it together.

Bogart fixed a prop in African Queen - might not count as he supposedly forge welded the pieces together - more blacksmithing than machining.

"Carbine Williams" was the one I liked best for machining - it was also about my other favorite subject - gunsmithing.

mark61
08-14-2007, 10:00 PM
There's a joke in there somewhere...

That was a true story that 1 of the original USA astronauts wrote of growing up in a mine town in Va. His father decided if he couldn't get the kid to stop messing around with rockets might as well learn how to do the work building real ones. The father was a mine administrator. Made the kid work in the machine shop to keep him out of the mine. The old Polish machinist was the mentor. It is a good book.

mark61

aostling
08-17-2007, 11:34 PM
Jake Holman (Steve McQueen) is an engine room chief in this 1966 movie (which features Candice Bergen, quite stunning). Jake's not an "inventor/modeler/machinist," but he knows his three-cylinder engine room from boilers to bilge. I don't recall any movie showing better naval machinery in action. The author of the book on which the movie is based was an ship's engineer, and he wrote what he knew.

Spin Doctor
08-19-2007, 08:34 PM
Well, there's the gunmsith Cyril Cusack in "Day of the Jackal". Plus Edward Fox does a not bad roadside piece of smuggling work to get the rifle built into a crutch of all things into la belle France. How about the CNC operations in the credits of "Short Circuit"

Errol Groff
08-19-2007, 09:39 PM
Keanu Reeves played a machinist of sorts in Chain Reaction a 1996 movie.

Errol Groff

Thomas Mitchell
08-20-2007, 09:35 AM
October Sky was written by Homer Hickam who was from Coalwood, West Virginia. The story is about how he and his friends designed and developed a model rocket ... They won the National Science Award and scholarships to college. Homer became a NASA engineer and helped train the astronauts.

Thomas

Fasttrack
08-20-2007, 12:42 PM
Technicaly the book was originally released as "Rocket Boys" and then they made the movie. They re-released the book as "October Skies" like a year later or something.

Errol Groff
08-20-2007, 04:49 PM
You guys have missed the greatest of all movie machinists. Wallace and Grommit are the class of the field when it comes to machining and tinkering.

Errol Groff

Evan
08-20-2007, 06:34 PM
James Doohan, aka Chief Engineer Scotty in Star Trek. Born in Vancouver, BC 1920, died in 2005. Had honorary degree in Engineering, one hobby was reading technical manuals. Attended Sarnia Collegiate Institute and Technical School in Ontario. I don't know for sure but would be very surprised if he never used a machine tool, especially at the trade school. Used to say "Scotty is ninety-nine percent James Doohan and one percent accent."

Asquith
08-20-2007, 06:35 PM
Too right, Errol!

Video clips here:-

http://www.wallaceandgromit.com/watch/

If you play 'A Grand Day Out: Building the Rocket' you can see Gromit's hammering, welding and drilling skills.

Fasttrack
08-20-2007, 11:04 PM
OH MY GOSH i can't believe i forgot wallace and grommet! What great characters ... just watched the wererabbit movie a few weeks ago.

Keith Krome
08-21-2007, 01:40 AM
Re: Homer Hickam

He was an professional acquaintance of my father. He was also my SCUBA diving instructor. He and my father both did work in the Neutral Buoyancy Simulator (NBS) at Marshall Space Flight Center. Swell guy, but definitely not an astronaut.

A.K. Boomer
08-21-2007, 10:14 AM
James Doohan, aka Chief Engineer Scotty in Star Trek. Born in Vancouver, BC 1920, died in 2005. Had honorary degree in Engineering, one hobby was reading technical manuals. Attended Sarnia Collegiate Institute and Technical School in Ontario. I don't know for sure but would be very surprised if he never used a machine tool, especially at the trade school. Used to say "Scotty is ninety-nine percent James Doohan and one percent accent."

Now that somebody brought up the "trek"

I seen an episode with Data when he was caught back in time and he hand ground a piston on a grinding wheel, (Data could do that)

also seen an episode of Meguyver (sp) where he had two 12 volt batteries (dont know if he had them in series or parrallel) and he was useing them to arc weld a broken connecting rod ------ god what a laugh that was because to put the icing on the cake I think it was for an airplane ...

platypus2020
08-21-2007, 10:45 AM
A.K.,

If McGyver (?) had one of the Leathermen or similar pocket tools, he would have needed only 1/2 hour per episode, instead of the full hour.

Jack

A.K. Boomer
08-21-2007, 11:10 AM
I dont believe there could have been a show, all the worlds problems would have been solved:p

Swarf&Sparks
08-21-2007, 02:48 PM
Don't want to rain on your parade AK, but I have done a few welds with 2 12V batteries in parallel.
You can comfortably get 150-200 amps for a short time.

They were "get home" jobs, certainly not on aero-engines!

quasi
08-21-2007, 11:49 PM
Doohan also was wounded at Dieppe, lost a finger among other things.

You guys have really missed the "boat" on this movie thing, you haven't mentioned " The African Queen".

Tinkerer
08-22-2007, 01:26 AM
Well if your goon mention Wallace and Grommit... CHEEZE Grommit. Then I'll toss in Chicken Run... those chicks build a plane from scrounged goods. :D

aboard_epsilon
10-12-2007, 08:38 PM
just saw one ...
guy pulling a DOALL Bridgeport replica mill down a main street ...in David Bowie video for "LETS DANCE"

worth a look ...aprox half way into film if you just skip the droll of it .

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=VNpC3RoP4Zw

all the best.mark

speedsport
10-12-2007, 09:23 PM
I remember a movie I saw long ago starring Jimmy Stewart, he played either Winchester or Remington, while in prison designed and built the first repeating rifle (out of wood of courtse), then later made the real thing.

andy_b
10-12-2007, 09:32 PM
I remember a movie I saw long ago starring Jimmy Stewart, he played either Winchester or Remington, while in prison designed and built the first repeating rifle (out of wood of courtse), then later made the real thing.

i think you're mixing several Stewart movies together. "Winchester 73" is the repeating rifle one, "Carbine Williams" is the one where he built the rifle in prison (the M1 Carbine). both good movies though.

andy b.

RetiredFAE
10-12-2007, 09:37 PM

Actually Stewart played David Marshall (Marsh) "Carbine" Williams. What he invented was the short stroke piston and floating chamber principles of firearms actions. He did do this while in prison serving a life sentence for killing a sheriff during a raid on Williams illegal moonshine still. He always maintained he had not fired a shot on that night.
When he got out of prision he went to work for Winchester after they gained a contract to produce a light carbine for use by persons who's MOS would impact their ability to carry a full sized service rifle, and for whom a pistol might not be enough defense. This was just after he showed his proto type to Congress. Winchester hired him and his design evolved into the M1 .30 Caliber Carbine used extensively in World War II, Korea, and to some extent in Viet Nam. There were about 5 million of them made by nearly a dozen manufacturers during WWII.
His design was not the first repeating rifle by about 80+ years. But it was the first short stroke piston design. The warden of the prison he was in actually did allow him to make a working proto type out of metal that was fired. The warden also worked to get Williams paroled and finally with the help of the family of the Sheriff he was accused of killing, got the governor to reduce his sentence from life to time served. He was paroled around 1929 if memory serves me.

wierdscience
10-12-2007, 10:12 PM
Carbine Williams,thanks for that,haven't seen that flick in years.

Malc-Y
10-13-2007, 02:03 PM
Carbine Williams,thanks for that,haven't seen that flick in years.

:) I mentioned 'Carbine Williams' in post #23 of this thread on August 13th, two months ago!!!

Malc. :rolleyes:

wierdscience
10-13-2007, 11:19 PM
:) I mentioned 'Carbine Williams' in post #23 of this thread on August 13th, two months ago!!!

Malc. :rolleyes:

I didn't read it two months ago:D

matador
10-14-2007, 01:23 AM
I seem to remember something about a movie set in Colditz castle.I can't remember if the "airplane building in the loft" came up or not.I guess you could call that inventing/model building of some sort?
This was actually a true event,so maybe it wasn't exciting enough for a movie:(.

DickDastardly40
10-14-2007, 10:03 AM
Anyone seen a recentish Film called the Prestige starring Christian Bale, Micheal Caine & Scarlet Johanssen. Bale ,who also played 'the machinist' IMS, is seen making props for his magic act:

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa317/DDastardly/THE_PRESTIGE_N52B-2B01hr2B02min2B05.jpg
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa317/DDastardly/THE_PRESTIGE_N52B-2B01hr2B02min2B02.jpg
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa317/DDastardly/THE_PRESTIGE_N52B-2B01hr2B01min2B49.jpg

The Steve McQueen film mentioned above is called the Sand Pebbles I believe also starring Dickie Attenborough. McQueen describes water to a chinese stoker as 'Sleepy Steam'.

Spin Doctor
10-14-2007, 11:38 AM
Not the hero but the main protagonist in "The Day of the Jackal" Edward Fox does a lot of work on his car to smuggle the rifle into France plus there is a scene with the gunsmith (Cyril Cusack) dicussing the firearm to be built. Into a crutch no less.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069947/

aostling
10-14-2007, 12:12 PM
Anyone seen a recentish Film called the Prestige starring Christian Bale, Micheal Caine & Scarlet Johanssen. Bale ,who also played 'the machinist' IMS, is seen making props for his magic act:

I really admired that machine shop when I saw Prestige. Nice screen grabs (if that's how you got these images). Makes me thing the filmmaker really knows a thing or two about Victorian tooling.

rohart
10-14-2007, 05:19 PM
I think African Queen deserves an honorary nomination. Bogey might not have a full machine shop at his disposal, but he keeps an old steam engine going on lickspittle. And then he manages to convert his river launch into a torpedo boat with the kind of tools I seem to have available at the roadside, more often than not.

Chipslinger
10-14-2007, 06:11 PM
I really wish you guys would read the whole thread before posting,Not a rant but c'mon guys.

aostling
10-18-2007, 11:31 PM
I think African Queen deserves an honorary nomination. Bogey might not have a full machine shop at his disposal, but he keeps an old steam engine going on lickspittle.

I'm watching African Queen right now. I paused it to replay this scene: Bogey interrupts his conversation with Hepburn to run forward, where he kicks viciously at the boiler and engine. That done, he returns aft.

Hepburn: What was the matter, Mr. Allnut?

Bogey: Feed pump's full of scum and rust. It gets clogged up. Kickin' her gets it workin' again. I gotta act fast, because one of my boys dropped a screwdriver down the safety valve.

Hepburn: What would happen if you didn't kick her?

Bogey (laughing): Whole boiler'd blow up.

Hepburn: But if we're going downstream Mr. Allnut why do we need the engine at all?

Bogey: Boat's gotta go faster than the water or you can't steer. If I was to let the engine die going down the rapids we'd be goners.

Hepburn: Mr. Allnut?

Bogey: Yes miss?

Hepburn: Why don't you dismantle the safety valve and remove the screwdriver?

Bogey: You know I'm gonna do that one of these days. The only reason I haven't done it up to now is I kinda like kickin' it. She's all I've got.

aostling
11-25-2007, 09:51 PM
I'm watching Sergei Eisenstein's 1925 silent film Strike http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0015361/ , a landmark of Russian cinema. It's filmed inside the biggest machine shop (a locomotive works) you will have ever seen. Hundreds, perhaps a thousand lathes, all belt driven from overhead shafts. A worker is falsely accused of stealing a large micrometer, worth 25 roubles (three weeks pay).

This is the ultimate machine tool movie.

Peter S
11-26-2007, 06:58 AM
There was a UK TV series back in the 1970's "When the Boat Comes In" (set in Norman's neck of the woods). I remember one programme featured a workshop and in particular a horizontal mill and a very unlikely story of cutters that were "exploding" and injuring workers. Hence shots of a fairly harmless-looking cutter rotating on horizontal arbor....

Alistair Hosie
11-26-2007, 09:52 AM
what about blazing saddles where the worked so hard on the railroad:DAlistair

mayfieldtm
11-26-2007, 10:08 AM
"The Machinist"
Rent this one. Good movie.
Tom M.

dang
12-01-2007, 01:25 PM
"The Machinist"
Rent this one. Good movie.
Tom M.

I totally agree! Christian Bale is one of the great actors of our time.

I saw "Chain Reaction" mentioned earlier.

How about "North Country"? Not really machinists though.

I'd not include Doc Brown from Back to the Future, his lab is totally bereft of machinery, at least in part 1. I don't know how he'd get anything done.

I would include Batman. In the newest installment he's crafting baterangs on a wheel grinder. I know, it's ridiculous. Again, how's that work? Billionaire with a Harbor Freight grinder, go figure. That Batcave has frankly, always disappointed me.

Nobody mentioned Phinneus Fog from "Around the world in 80 days". He had absolutely no machinery.

Tim Robbins' character from "The Hudsucker Proxy" invented the Hula Hoop. Later they showed it being extruded.

The movie to watch on this count is gonna be "Iron Man". The preview shows some sweet blacksmithing to build the prototype suit. Plus, Black Sabbath is on the soundtrack. We all know about Tony Iommi don't we?

"The Venture Brothers" is another good example. It's on Cartoon Network. Probably not what you'd think.

Lastly, Titanic. There's some great engine part shots in that film. Terminator 1 as well. I think James Cameron really digs machinery.

I wholeheartedly agree that the machines that get the work done should be featured in movies. Not only is it interesting to look at, but it might inspire the viewers to find out what that thing is.

dang
12-01-2007, 01:31 PM
Pee Wee Herman's Rube Goldberg machine in Pee Wee's Big Adventure.
It's the machine that makes his breakfast for him. I guess in Rube's terms Pee Wee is a great machinist.

Doc Nickel
12-01-2007, 05:32 PM
I would include Batman. In the newest installment he's crafting baterangs on a wheel grinder. I know, it's ridiculous. Again, how's that work? Billionaire with a Harbor Freight grinder, go figure. That Batcave has frankly, always disappointed me.

-The latest Batman was supposed to be a prequel of sorts, IE, the "first" Batman story. That's why they showed things like the homemade batarangs, and using that prototype offroader as a Batmobile. They wanted to give it that "just starting out" feel- just like in Spider-Man, the first time he's seen in costume, it's basically a spray-painted sweatshirt and a red ski mask.

But yeah, I agree- with all the goodies Bats is supposed to wear, drive and fling around, and the fact he'd have to personally make most of it in order to protect his secret identity, you'd expect he'd have a roomful of everything from injection-molders to VMCs.

'Course, you still gotta wonder if anybody did an airworthiness certification on the Batplane, and if the Batboat has a Coast Guard hull number... :D

Doc.

BadDog
12-01-2007, 05:45 PM
Don't you know that Alfred makes most of Bruce's stuff? Between the washing and ironing, but before vacuming the mansion and bat cave. Then he cooks dinner... ;) I did kinda like that they introduced that disenfranchised skunk-works engineer and the military prototype storage facility. At least that helped with some of the obvious issues...

Spin Doctor
12-01-2007, 07:51 PM
-The latest Batman was supposed to be a prequel of sorts, IE, the "first" Batman story. That's why they showed things like the homemade batarangs, and using that prototype offroader as a Batmobile. They wanted to give it that "just starting out" feel- just like in Spider-Man, the first time he's seen in costume, it's basically a spray-painted sweatshirt and a red ski mask.

But yeah, I agree- with all the goodies Bats is supposed to wear, drive and fling around, and the fact he'd have to personally make most of it in order to protect his secret identity, you'd expect he'd have a roomful of everything from injection-molders to VMCs.

'Course, you still gotta wonder if anybody did an airworthiness certification on the Batplane, and if the Batboat has a Coast Guard hull number... :D

Doc.

To quote Jack Nickelson as "The Joker". "Where does he get those wonderful toys?"

MR.0001"
12-01-2007, 08:25 PM
heres a canadian one " The Rocket" Maurice "The Rocket" Richards life story
he was a machinist before becoming a professional hockey palyer

Tinkerer
12-01-2007, 08:26 PM
How could we forget about Dick Van Dyke as Caractacus Potts.

http://members.aol.com/cotsmm/chitty.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylNwSv6c7m0

Besides the car remember the rocket pack... he always had a upbeat outlook regardless if things ended as first planned or not. He'd just rework it into something else... a true HSM :)

I know how... I know now you'll have that song stuck in your head for weeks.

aostling
10-28-2009, 01:53 AM
Just finished watching Operation Petticoat (1959), starring Cary Grant and Tony Curtis. The submarine USS Sea Tiger gets painted with a scrounged 50-50 mix of red lead and white lead. It's pink on the outside, but all machinery below. Five nurses evacuated from a Pacific island totally disrupt the ship's routine, but the oldest nurse (age 38) was the daughter of chief at a Puget Power & Light plant, and shows the engine room chief how to fashion a needed valve spring (on some pneumatic contraption) from her girdle. Would you have thought of that?

aostling
04-14-2013, 11:14 PM
Seaplane dogfights over the Adriatic, a pilot who has been turned into a pig, aircraft faithful to what was flying in the early 1920s, a crowded machine shop that would put John Stevenson's to shame (with crossed overhead drive belts), allusions to aeronautical engineering, hot flappers, what's not to like?

This trailer is in Japanese, but you can get the full English movie on YouTube (or on DVD at the Phoenix library).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iQXYEYqo-0

wagnerite
04-15-2013, 01:51 AM
heck, it's time to update this old thread.

Does Iron man count? I suppose he's more of a fabricator type. Although, he did mention "...Bridgeport was making that" referring to a part that was being CNC'ed.

The basement workshop shots in all the Iron Man movies were pretty neat.

914Wilhelm
04-15-2013, 02:18 AM
I'm watching Sergei Eisenstein's 1925 silent film Strike http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0015361/ , a landmark of Russian cinema. It's filmed inside the biggest machine shop (a locomotive works) you will have ever seen. Hundreds, perhaps a thousand lathes, all belt driven from overhead shafts. A worker is falsely accused of stealing a large micrometer, worth 25 roubles.
This is the ultimate machine tool movie.

Available on Netflix streaming

TRX
04-15-2013, 09:51 AM
"Blade" with Wesley Snipes and Kris Kristofferson. Their 'batcave' was basically a huge machine shop, where Kristofferson's character made all the cool toys.

Just fumigate it to get rid of the vampires, and I'd move right in...

Beone
04-15-2013, 02:29 PM
IIRC. There was an episode of Bonanza where the were casting parts in the foundry. Been looking for that episode

bob_s
04-15-2013, 03:11 PM
law abiding citizen

MrSleepy
04-15-2013, 03:23 PM
The Train 1964 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059825/

Burt Lancaster makes a babbit bearing for a connecting rod.

Great Film aswell.

Rob

oil mac
04-15-2013, 03:34 PM
Not home shop machining, but there was a good (but bleak) 1960 film called 'The Angry Silence' starring a Richard Attenborough. About striking, blacklegging and being 'sent to Coventry' in an engineering works. A fair bit of machining going on, and young Dicky seemed to know what levers to operate on a vertical boring mill. I believe the machine shop shots were filmed in the works of Reavell Ltd., Ipswich.

.Yes you are correct Asquith, It was Reavell's works at Ipswich The film was from the late 1950/s I somehow recall? About that time the trendy film guys discovered people worked in factories! & another good one was Saturday Night & Sunday Morning, I cannot recall if this was the one though where our man was operating a small capstan lathe making parts for bicycles, Another film one of the stars starts up a big Corliss engine , That was nice
For a real fun film The Maggie, about the old West highland puffer (cargo vessel )took a bit of beating The engine room scene one got a quick glimpse of a McKie & Baxter in line compound main propelling engine

DR
04-15-2013, 04:37 PM
It's quiz time.

I can think of three Hollywood movies in which a mechanical modeler/inventor/machinist was the hero. One is The World's Fastest Indian, mentioned not so long ago here. What are two more?

Usually machining applications in videos, TV motorcycle shows, movies, etc have to appeal to the lowest common denominator, like my wife, who couldn't care less about that aspect of the show.

Most all of us who have watched the motorcycle drama shows on TV want more detail. The producers know better though. It just happens the daughter of my wife's best friend since childhood was instrumental in producing the Jesse James shows, she says it wouldn't fly with too much detail because it'd bore the majority of viewers.

As far as "The World's Fastest Indian" I recall questioning the accuracy of some of what was shown about his machining. I don't remember exactly what, but it didn't seem reasonable what was shown.

Doc Nickel
04-15-2013, 05:28 PM
"Blade" with Wesley Snipes and Kris Kristofferson. Their 'batcave' was basically a huge machine shop, where Kristofferson's character made all the cool toys.

-Not really... All the machines in the building were just stamping presses. And out of all their "lab" equipment, the only thing that wasn't a medical device or "random box with blinking lights" was a bench grinder. Which, you'll note, they had set up to spin backwards so the sparks would be theatrically thrown upwards in a cool-looking but horribly unsafe manner. :D

Doc.

The Artful Bodger
04-15-2013, 06:05 PM
As far as "The World's Fastest Indian" I recall questioning the accuracy of some of what was shown about his machining. I don't remember exactly what, but it didn't seem reasonable what was shown.

Boiling up old pistons with a kerosene blow lamp to make new pistons? I do know he did not have much of a 'shop compared so some we see described on this forum.

w4bar
04-15-2013, 07:43 PM
In Murphy's War (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067458/) Peter O'Tool did some lathe work.

In Mr. Winkle Goes to War (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037095/) Edward G Robinson had a backyard shop.

Both well worth watching.