PDA

View Full Version : New Mill, Good deal? need tools!

mototed
08-14-2007, 08:44 PM
Hey guys
I'm new at posting here, but have learned a lot of stuff by reading this site for the last 2 years. Badly hooked on metal working since I got a mig welder and 4x6 china bandsaw 10 yrs ago. Made up some awesome mechanical devices with those tools and a grinder. Next step was a Lathe, got one of those old 1947 Craftsman/Atlas 12x36 from the original owner, good shape,$400, but no tools about 1 1/2 yrs ago. Spent $600 on tooling but I can make stuff with her now.:D
But now I have just moved a Index mil into the basement shop. (1965 model, DRO - 1975 somthing , power X feed, power down feed, X & Y feed nuts replaced last year) Her name is Milldred.
It's got about .004" play on X axis and .002" on Y axis. Spindle has .001"+/- .0005
http://s217.photobucket.com/albums/cc28/mototed/?action=view&current=IMG_0491.jpghttp://s217.photobucket.com/albums/cc28/mototed/?action=view&current=IMG_0492.jpg
Asking price was $2000, Paid $1200 due to X - DRO not working and due to wife. ( X- DRO works for now after I messed with it, down to .0005" )
Long story, but what would be the first tool and work hold downs to buy so that I can make some chips for cheap ?
I know I will need R- 8 tool holders, but what would be good end mills ?
I would rather take a little time and get good stuff ( like a Kurt vice for example) but guys, I'm dying to to start on something NOW.

Thanks a lot for putting with this mess of a post.

Ted

IOWOLF
08-14-2007, 08:54 PM
Not B&S#9 ? good.

1/2,3/4,em's,drill chuck,fly cutter, 6"vise, Not SHARS.

lane
08-14-2007, 09:25 PM
A Enco set of bridgeport tie down clamp set and some parallels.You got a computer E-bay has every thing. and if you look good stuff is cheap and good stuff. Grt some tool catalogs and compare prices. Good luck and have fun.

BadDog
08-14-2007, 11:01 PM
I would put a set of general collets on that list along with the inexpensive "hold down" (step blocks, studs, t-nuts, straps) set. And a decent (Taiwan?) Kurt 6" knock off along with a set of the 1/8" import parallels works well. A good 0-1/2 chuck in keyless or keyed as you prefer, and a smaller (maybe 0-1/4) if you have the chance. These are the things I use most. Obviously, top line stuff is preferred if you luck up on it or have the budget, but I'm guessing you'll be equipping like I did, then upgrading as you come upon "deals".

Also, fill out your location in the Profile so we know where you are. If your in this area, I can turn you onto some good resources. Where ever you are, I'm sure there are those in your area that can (and will) help...

JoeFin
08-14-2007, 11:56 PM
The list has just begun to scatch the surface of what you'll actually need/want

Angle Table - I use that much more then the rotary table

Vise - Kurt or Bridgeport, take your pick, I prefer the Bridgeport (but thats just me) you'll only have regrets with any thing else.

End Mills - ebay is a crap shoot, don't touch the "looks sharp" or "don't know much about them" and stick to the new stuff. Indexable tooling (Kennametal, Seco, and Iscar) you can't go wrong with as long as you can find a good supplier of inserts.

Face Mill - 2" is probably big enough for that ol' girl to handle. Just be sure it is indexable

You'll need an method to check tramm and find centers of holes. Try a Starret wobble stick set.

IOWOLF
08-15-2007, 07:28 AM
In a PM from MADMAN...
"I just bought a magnetic chuck for my ancient norton grinder and also a radius dresser. The stuff seemed not too bad sure is cheaper than reg equipment big time. Whats the beef with the shars stuff. ?? Thanx Mike"

I thought I would answer it here, the Shars 6" vise is not a Kurt copy, It has 3/8 or 7/16 SHCS to hold on the jaws on Kurt has 1/2" this becomes a problem when you need to switch jaws, also I had to mill out 1/4"of the bolt hole to tram in the vise. So IMHO they are not worth the 50 to 70% you save.

mototed
08-15-2007, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the replies, just the info I was looking for,first basic mill tools.Like Bad dog said I'll be buying tools as the need arises and when deals come along. Thinking of a set of 4 flute centercutting and the Enco clamp set right away.
Joefin, thanks for the size advice on the face mill, btw i love the indexable lathe tools, so they work as well on mills also?

JoeFin
08-15-2007, 10:36 AM
Indexable Face Mill is a must have

Just look closely at what type of insert it uses and the availability of that type of insert. Some tooling has a manufacture's custom insert, (high dollar inserts), and they will do a VERY GOOD "Specialized cut". But if your like me you'll be looking more towards the Gen purpose tooling

As for common size end mills, (cobalt, HSS) buy quantity and use coolant

BTW: "Now you'll be salivating at surface grinders"

BadDog
08-15-2007, 04:53 PM
I would disagree on the coolant, but that's just me. Too much mess for the benefit with respect to my shop needs.

On a face mill, look for not only common inserts, but with most mills of this class, you also want to make sure it is a double-positive rake (both axial and radial) to reduce cutting load. That makes it harder to find and also forces you into the more expensive inserts, but turret mills (I'm told, no expert and still learning myself) need the lowered forces to run face mills. Most seem to think a 4" double-positive is about the most a "Bridgeport class" machine (similarly sized turret mills) can handle. Number of inserts is a mixed bag. More means less banging and faster feeds, but costs more to tool up and you may not have the horse power to maintain an acceptable chip load, which could lead to broken inserts. I actually just bought a Valenite 3" 4 insert and a Kennametal 2.5" 6 insert (both double positive) for very little money. Now to find some cheap inserts...