PDA

View Full Version : pin a rose on you

aostling
08-15-2007, 11:44 AM
.... if you can identify this mysterious object. It is a cropping from the full (unmanipulated) photo. I'll supply the answer after a few of you have had a stab at it.

Hint: it is a common everyday household item. Not an incoming missile.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u183/aostling/incomingmissle.jpg

Chester
08-15-2007, 11:55 AM
Gramma's knitting needle!

rotate
08-15-2007, 12:45 PM
Is this an excercise in depth of field?

Ian B
08-15-2007, 01:07 PM
It's a pin...

NickH
08-15-2007, 01:07 PM
It's an off-topic pointything

aostling
08-15-2007, 01:11 PM
It's a pin...

Correct, namely, a safety pin. It is in the sculpture garden outside the DeYoung Museum in Golden Gate Park.

Off topic? Well, the artist had to make it somehow.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u183/aostling/safetypin.jpg

Milacron of PM
08-15-2007, 01:12 PM
Flying saucer toy....I think I see lead paint...

bhjones
08-15-2007, 01:28 PM
Did he "Make" it though.

In recent months I read an article about a metal fab guy who does, among other work, welding and fab work for sculpture artists. It was fitting though. I've know a few pretentious artist types, and the thought of them getting dirty actually creating something just didn't fit.

A.K. Boomer
08-15-2007, 01:46 PM
I'll never understand "art",,,, its like --- I could have imagined that and it would have turned out just as crappy as the picture, what a waste,,

Some french Genius (Jean Claude? sp?) and his tag along wife have been wanting to "drape" the arkansas river with some type of silk cloth in my immediate area --- for miles ------- what the fuqe for, yes it would pump millions into my local enonomy but get the hell out of here and leave our area alone, All the anchor mounts would remain on all the rocks decades later, just to have some kind of gay ass fabric 30 feet above for a few weeks, yes it would be a trip to float my kayak under but so what, figure out something better to do with your money,

Sorry for the rant but I cannot deal with the artzie fartzie mentality when its absolutly useless and stirs up no talent or real creativity, I think most of these people actually are missing imagination because if they had it they could Imagine it ------ realize its crap ---- and move on, then you dont have to spend your entire life building crap...

lynnl
08-15-2007, 02:38 PM
I was in Colo. Springs from '70 to '73, and some artiste did that same silly thing across some canyon in western Colo during that time. About the time he got it nearly finished some strong chinook winds ripped it to smithereens. ...a fitting end I say!!

How arrogant, to think you can improve on nature's beauty and artistry. Frankly I don't think much of Mt Rushmore either!

bhjones
08-15-2007, 04:39 PM
Works like Rushmore and the Crazy Horse sculpture truly impress me on scale alone. The tenacity of the people who drive the projects on are impressive as well.

More often than not I find big public works projects way cooler than "Art". Any of the large Hydro dams out West or the Mackinac bridge and even smaller projects like the Denny regrade in Seattle draw my interest far more.

How arrogant, to think you can improve on nature's beauty and artistry. Frankly I don't think much of Mt Rushmore either!

lynnl
08-15-2007, 05:17 PM
Oh yeah, I find many man-made structures, e.g. bridges, dams, etc. very impressive, and even attractive, too.

But defacing a mountain or some natural feature just to make an art statement strikes me as simple graffiti ...on a Grand Scale of course.

Tho it could be said that the dam is certainly altering the appearance/function of the river, at least there's some practical, useful purpose, other than to just make it look like something else.

deth502
08-15-2007, 05:50 PM
ak boomer and lynnl,

the part that bothers me, is that those "artists" were prob. spend the tax dollars that the government took from the paychecks of the people that work for a living to give to the loosers who sit around and get high all day 'till they get some STOOOOOOPID idea like the ones you mention, under the guise of "supporting the arts"

i find more "art" i a finely machined object, skillfuly machined from no set plans, only an idea to "do it better" that ends up as a useful product.(even not so useful). not "hanging drapes outside". inbred appilation rednecks have been doing that for centuries :) like you said, boomer, it then in turn stirs creativity in others to create a similar project, with some creative way to adapt it to their own circumstances.

no offence to any inbred rednecks out there :D

Alistair Hosie
08-15-2007, 05:59 PM
I read somewhere the guy who designed the original safety pin eventually became very wealthy.Good luck to him too .Alistair

laddy
08-15-2007, 05:59 PM
I like it!!!! I am tired of seeing some "art" that resembles nothing with some fancy title...Modern art. I like a bird to look like a bird. Fred

darryl
08-16-2007, 03:24 AM
Remember those 'stingers' boys used to make from safety pins and bobby pins? That one would make one hell of a stinger!

Oldguy
08-16-2007, 04:02 AM
That "artist" who likes to do the fabric thing is Christo. I guess it's a good thing he calls himself an artist because then he can sucker a bunch of people into supporting his art, and not collect unemployment or welfare because he can't really do anything.

Here's a link to see his "art".

http://www.christojeanneclaude.net/

Glenn

A.K. Boomer
08-16-2007, 10:18 AM
I used to be in pretty tight with the boating community, I can tell you the average conversation around the campfire is that all that fabric is not going to look good whilst its weighted down with tons of stones and rocks on top of it, Also hope its flame retardant as iv heard some people comment on that and something to do with weedburners (sorry, i cant seem to remember any names, it was a lame campfire and very dark) What a waste, they even drew up pictures and the pictures look like crap, so why build it...

I have met nobody in my area that likes the idea --- including a few of the local "artists"

The biggest thing is supposed to be what the wind does with the fabric, They can do wonderfull things with computer animation, so why not make a video of this and save a bunch of resources and tons of fuel, plus you wont have to deal with all the rocks on top of it and the burnt holes...

If one cable snaps and the fabric gets low enough for a boater to get caught in and drown Id hate to be in that guys shoe's...