PDA

View Full Version : shop built mill

chiphead42
08-16-2007, 12:17 PM
Hello Can some post a link to the shop built milling machine that uses an
inline engine block for the base/frame. Had it saved, now lost.
Thanks chiphead42

rgbai
08-16-2007, 01:37 PM
http://opensourcemachine.org/node/2

IOWOLF
08-16-2007, 01:51 PM
Not again,They are a POS. You do not live in a 3rd world country, or maybe you do.

chiphead42
08-16-2007, 06:24 PM
rgbai Thanks for the reply. but this is not the one I'm looking for. there was
one that is a horozontal mill built into a 4 or 6 cyl. engine block. Can"t find it or remember where I saw it.

IOWOLF WE"re not living in the 3rd world, but we're not as far from it as we have been in the past. Still searching Thanks chiphead4

rgbai
08-16-2007, 06:44 PM
you must mean george ewans engine mill from feb/march 2002 machinists
workshop.

http://www.freewebs.com/cochraneareahomeshopmetalworkers/gaewen.htm

Joel
08-16-2007, 07:20 PM
Here is a thread discussing the spindle:

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=11268

tattoomike68
08-16-2007, 07:51 PM
I know it as the multimachine.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/multimachine/

IOWOLF
08-16-2007, 07:56 PM
I don't see an engine block in that one,perhaps too much other crap. :)

chiphead42
08-16-2007, 08:44 PM
That's the one, I think I have enough odds & ends to put one together.
Thanks guys. chiphead42

tattoomike68
08-16-2007, 09:03 PM
That's the one, I think I have enough odds & ends to put one together.
Thanks guys. chiphead42

Post pictures as you go along. I find it is an interesting machine.

dicks42000
08-16-2007, 11:57 PM
Chiphead;
OK here is a brief description of what I am doing & what I found out....
Back about 2002, one of the early HSM members, G A Ewen, built a small horizontal milling machine out of a 4 cyclinder engine block, a small Busy Bee milling (x-y) table and some old shaper parts. The article is in the Feb./Mar 2002 edition of Machinists Workshop...It seemed to work out OK for his needs.

As Iowolf & others have said, there is this multi-machine thing that is similar, but very crude in that it uses a jack to raise/ lower the table, who knows what as spindle bearings etc. but for construction on the cheap in an area with limited resources, it may be one idea....

I started construction of an "engine mill" a little over a year ago, since I needed a small horizontal mill and live in an area where they aren't popular. I see the odd tiny hand mill and lots of Kearney & Treckers, but I can't move them....I am now about 2/3 finished my version. I used a dead 4 cyl. block from a Ford Ranger (the ubiquitous Pinto engine), a medium quality x-y table from Bell Machinery, parts from another x-y table for the knee elevation, machined the spindle as per G A Ewens article, and some of the left over engine parts for the over-arm etc. My knee is a weldment and I built a base on casters to hide the drive & motor and provide a bit of storage.

Since this was designed to be a companion to my Atlas 618, I bored the spindle Morse taper 2, since I have a bunch of milling arbours etc. for the Atlas and that is the headstock taper.....

If I didn't already have the dead Ranger engine, I would have probably gone for a 6 cyl block like a 300 cid Ford or 292 GM. That way you could have the motor on top, over arm in the 1 st. cylinder, etc. and arrived at a design not unlike the Tom Senior horizontal mill. Get a good quality x-y table and a bit of good design & careful machining for the knee weldment and spindle and you could have a fun little horizontal mill.

As far as mine goes, I'm into it for about $ 300.00 Cdn. including the spindle bearings, a piece of 2 1/2 in bar stock for the over arm and the x-y table. I built this partly just as an exercise to prove it could be done and because I couldn't find a small but still useful sized horizontal mill for sale locally for a reasonable price. (Tom Seniors, Rockwells (I have a vert.) and Clausings go for gold-plated prices up here...) I also had several free motors and lots of pulleys & scrap on hand.

To do a good job on one, you will need the use of a 10 in. or larger lathe and a milling machine, drill press and ideally a surface grinder....You could do all the machining on a lathe that is large enough to swing your knee weldment on it's face plate...

I'm looking forward to getting this thing finally assembled ( been a few test fit-ups so far), aligned and trying some gear cutting with it. (That was the original reason to get/ build a horizontal mill.)

Hope that helps....
Rick

plastikosmd
08-17-2007, 12:09 AM
i like the mother of all cord saws on that site...nice stuff, nice little mill also..prob better made than that little atlas horz. mill i had years ago

scott