PDA

View Full Version : Shop Fox

lilguy
08-16-2007, 08:10 PM
They appear to be located in the same areas as Grizzly. Are they another clone? Or is it Griz? They have an interesting lathe/mill combo. If any good it would beat the heck out of a Smithy.

Dawai
08-16-2007, 08:12 PM
I thought you had a real fox...

I got feral cats.. mean suckers. I don't pet them and the pitt don't mess with them.

lilguy
08-16-2007, 08:17 PM
Nuck,Nuck,Nuck!:D

IOWOLF
08-16-2007, 08:25 PM
Stay the hell away from 3 in 1 's ,Geez how many times do we have to say it? Can we get a sticky for the newbys?

Frank Ford
08-16-2007, 09:34 PM
Shop Fox is a Grizzly brand, owned and operated by Shiraz Balolia.

Grizzly products are sold only through Grizzly outlets.

Shop Fox products are sold at wholesale to other retailers, and appear lots of places, including, of course, Grizzly.

I corresponded with Shiraz when he set about copying the "Versa Vise." He said one of the guys in the drafting department thought it looked a bit like a parrot, so that became its name. I was pleased to see it under the Shop Fox brand, and recommended it for inclusion in the LMI catalog.

Cheers,

Frank Ford
FRETS.COM (http://www.frets.com)
Gryphon Stringed Instruments (http://www.gryphonstrings.com)
My Home Shop Pages (http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Machining/index.html)

speedsport
08-16-2007, 09:57 PM
Shop Fox, another SIEG product rebranded. If you want I can give you the email address and you can bye direct. Frank Fong, nice guy.

dp
08-16-2007, 11:12 PM
Stay the hell away from 3 in 1 's ,Geez how many times do we have to say it? Can we get a sticky for the newbys?

That's a crock. I'm happy as hell with mine and use it daily. When I have room for larger equipment it will be appropriate to buy it, but right now I have room for my 3 in 1 and my Harley. But barely. The 3 in 1 was a great purchase and value and continues to serve me very well. Once I've relocated I'll convert it to a nice compact CNC unit.

wierdscience
08-17-2007, 01:42 AM
A mostly woodworking tool store near here carries Shopfox.Some of the stuff looks okay,the two pieces of woodworking stuff I bought worked as avertised.The metal working stuff they had sucks,sorry Shopfox,but it's the truth.They had a 9x42 mill,a 3-1 and a 13x36 lathe on the floor,poor quality,sloppy paint and fit and finish,Crappy grade 4.6 fastners on everything and nearly all handpegs and wheels unscrewed when cranked or fell out on the floor.

The prices where Tawain level,but Mainland China quality.

From what I have seen and from what I own,Grizzly is a mix of Taiwan and China and Shopfox is all China on a level with HF in terms of fit and finish and overall quality.I doubt that the Shopfox stuff has anywhere the parts support that Grizz does even though they are owned by the same company.

lilguy
08-17-2007, 02:25 AM
I went to order a G4003G and a G3103 and the lathe is back ordered. They will contact me when they arrive.

dfeeney
08-17-2007, 01:49 PM
I purchased a Shop Fox 9x49 mill with a DRO almost 4 years ago. I have had no issues with it at all. I couldn't be more happy with it. In fact I retrofitted it to a Logitrol CNC system last fall. It runs outstanding and holds tight tolerences with no problem. I hope to buy one of there lathes as soon as I can.

If you have any questions or concerns feel free to email me at dfeeney3@maine.rr.com. If you want I will even send you some pictures.

Dan

BigBoy1
08-18-2007, 07:49 PM
When I bought my Grizzly Drill Press, I ordered a vise to go with it. The vise that arrived with the Grizzly Drill Press was a Shop Fox brand! For holding parts for the drill press, the vise seems to be OK. No problems so far.

Others have stated that Grizzly and Shop Fox were separate companies. Somehow, they have some kind if relationship becasue the drill and vise came together.

Bill

Todd Tolhurst
08-19-2007, 01:46 AM
They are seperate companies, owned by the same man. There is much crossover between the two companies product lines. Shop Fox tools are sold through dealers, while Grizzly is sold directly from warehouse-to-customer.

Ries
08-19-2007, 01:13 PM
While the companies may be separate on paper, they share the same addresses, warehouses, employees, catalog and website designers, and parts and service guys- At least, in visiting the Bellingham world headquarters, I have never seen any segregation between the two.
They have Shop Fox tools on the floor right next to Grizzly tools in the showroom.
They have one giant surface grinder in back, for fixing bad castings, and both shop fox and grizzly tools get put on it.
They have one motor rebuild shop- both motors go in it.

In other words, the difference between the two is mostly one of marketing.

One, as stated, Shop Fox, is wholesaled to other dealers, while the other, Grizzly, is sold "direct from the importer to save you money!".

But many of the tools are indistinguishable.

lilguy
09-15-2007, 07:12 PM
Just ordered a G4003G. Should be here Tues. I will let everyone know how things go. If no problems, will order mill next.

Seastar
09-15-2007, 07:57 PM
Here are my shop foxes last night when they came to be fed.
Bill
http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/2707/foxesiq8.th.jpg (http://img515.imageshack.us/my.php?image=foxesiq8.jpg)