PDA

View Full Version : Checkin in

Fasttrack
08-16-2007, 09:27 PM
At risk of being off topic :rolleyes: ....

I headed down to college on the 10th and i've gotten reasonable well settled in here. The first thing i did was go hit up all of the machine shops on campus. I still haven't caught up with the three professional machinists on campus but the students say that one of them at least is really nice and will do work-study programs and etc with students. Hopefully i can learn alot from them.

The mechanical engineering shop is awsome. They have a fully equipped CNC lab with a laser, a bunch of clausing lathes, a bunch of southbend and cincinnati lathes plus a cincinnati 16" shaper, some surface grinders, several bridgeports, some lagun mills and a horizontal mill that i can't remember the manufacturer. Anyhow, its a pretty sweet shop - a very well equipped student shop, a formula sae shop, a student design shop, the cnc lab, the physics student's shop, plus the real shop (in the ME building) and another "real" shop in the physics building for making all of the sensors and what not for thier various research projects.

I'm hoping to get some work done on my rotart table project (i brought the pieces with me ... right now i'm working on a bunch of drawings for it) and i'll have to borrow a camera to snap a few pics of the place and the progress.

Thats all for now!

aostling
08-16-2007, 09:31 PM
At risk of being off topic :rolleyes: ....

I headed down to college on the 10th and i've gotten reasonable well settled in here.

Are you in Urbana?

jimmstruk
08-16-2007, 09:39 PM
Are you going to study engineering? Keep us posted on your progress, especially in the shop area. There is lots of good stuff on campuses. JIM

Mad Scientist
08-16-2007, 11:11 PM
Good luck with school! Sounds like you are going to have a bunch of new toys to play with.
Back when I was in school all we had were war surplus machines, WWI that is. :( My high school had a more modern shop. Anyway keep us informed as to the projects that you the involved with, and remember if your instructors donít know an answer to a question, someone here undoubtedly will.

Fasttrack
08-17-2007, 11:20 AM
I'm actually at the University of Missouri -Rolla for physics (soon to be Missouri University of Science and Technology).

I'll definetly be around to ask questions and pick your guys' brains! They have alot of neat machines in the student machine shop that i've never even seen in person - like a shaper etc. Oh and as an interesting side note, they have a twist drill on a plaque up on the wall that is bigger than four inches around! :eek:

Brian H.
08-17-2007, 05:25 PM
Best of luck to ya! Missouri-Rolla is supposed to be a pretty good school from what I hear. I will also be returning to school this next week, trying to finish up my B.S. in Mechanical Engineering Technology here at OK State. Sounds like you have a pretty well equipped shop up there; make good use of it, and have fun!

Evan
08-17-2007, 06:16 PM
Going to university is the best time of your life. Studying physics is even better. And the girls...

Fasttrack
08-18-2007, 12:14 AM
Going to university is the best time of your life. Studying physics is even better. And the girls...

:D You must not know too much about Rolla - female enrollment is only 23% and they aren't renown for thier physical appearence ...

Its ok though 'cause University of Missouri Columbia is within a weekend trip range and they have like a 60% female enrollment lol.