PDA

View Full Version : Shop Wisdom of Jesse Livingston

lynnl
08-17-2007, 02:02 AM
In the last few issues of HSM among the hardback books sold by VP I've seen the above book listed. I've gotten HSM and PIM/MW for about 10 or 11 years, and have most of the "Projects" and "Metal Working" books, but I don't recall ever seeing an article by Jesse Livingston. Is he strictly a "Live Steam" contributor? (which I don't subscribe to)

PTSideshow
08-17-2007, 06:46 AM
Most probably,he is on the steam board mainly the flanged wheel variety. He also was heavy into the paper covered tips books they put out awhile back.

Neil
08-17-2007, 10:43 AM
Lynnl:

Yes, Jesse's articles ran in Live Steam and Outdoor Railroading magazine. His book contains three model stationary steam engine projects, two locomotive projects (7-1/2" ga), six articles on boiler accessories and improvements and several other ancillary articles.

Hope that helps.

Neil

Al Messer
08-17-2007, 10:49 AM
It's a very interesting book---I've got a copy.

lynnl
08-17-2007, 12:44 PM
What piqued my interest was the 'casting' and 'foundry' info mentioned in the ad.

Neil
08-17-2007, 02:37 PM
The book contains a 14-page article titled "An Introduction to Metal Casting and Foundry Work." The article describes mold and pattern-making, building a small charcoal-fired furnace capable of melting aluminum and brass but not cast iron, and general casting techniques. It's a good primer for the hobby foundry.

Bill Pace
08-17-2007, 04:31 PM
14 pages with a small charcoal foundry ---- hmmm, sounds good.

I started off on this crazy/wonderful? hobby using Dave Gingerys series on his charcoal foundry back in the '80's, and they were becoming dated then, with a lot of the stuff he used not being availiable, and now it would be even tougher to use his methods ---though I still think of Dave as one of the better writers to lead a novice along (least he did for me). I have to wonder why his son Vince hasnt reintroduced, at least the carcoal furnace part, using current materials. Even so, the Gingery lathe, shaper, etc still has a huge following in the yahoo groups.....

I still have to rank the shaper as probably my my most funnest projects........

jeastwood
08-18-2007, 10:28 PM
Make sure you bring some to GEARS Neil; I'll be there, and it's a good bet I'll buy a copy.

Jeff E.

Neil
08-20-2007, 10:49 AM
We'll certainly be bringing along Jesse's new book... I'll hold one aside for you.

The GEARS show has/had (will have, I hope) a fellow do foundry work out along side the building. Every time I went out to watch a pour, there were onlookers several deep and most were taller than I am. I'll need a step ladder or have to learn how to take photos holding my camera overhead. Then too, I could just get there earlier.

Looking forward to seeing you at the show!

Neil