PDA

View Full Version : Looking for pipe

Fasttrack
08-17-2007, 12:52 PM
Hey guys-

The last piece i need for my rotary table project is the center support for the bearing. It is essentially the back bone of the whole setup so its fairly important... :D

What i'd like to find is about a foot of A53 grade b double extra heavy duty pipe. At a nominal size of 4" the outside diameter is 4.5 inches and the inside diameter is 3.364. This allows me to open up the bore on one end to accomodate the worm gear and turn the external diameter down on the other end to accept the bearing and still have a wall thickness of .294. Its a little less machining than starting from solid but its still alot of material to remove and i have no idea where to find double extra heavy pipe

The worm gear is 3.6" in diameter and the inside of the bearing is 3.74". The bearing and worm gear have to be concentric of course all though the worm gear will be located about 2.25" below the bottom of the bearing. The support for the bearing has to be hollow, then, to incorporate the worm gear and it also has to be heavy enough to fasten to the base via machine screws and it has to be heavy enough so i can cut part of it away to expose the worm gear to mesh with the worm.

Any ideas on where to get pipe or any other methods to accomplish what i'm trying to do??

camdigger
08-17-2007, 01:12 PM
Fast track

Locally, (Western Canuckland) I'd look first to the oilpatch. Welders, pipe fitters, and well operators often have access to cutoffs of sch 40, 80, 120 and 160.
In Illinois, I'd look at scrap yards around process plants, especially like bottling or food plants (or any where steam is often used to heat and/or sterilize) Heavy equipment shops supporting operations like around mines, earthmoving, heavy industry, etc.
Highway truck dealers like Mack, Peterbuilt/KW, Western Star, Volvo, etc. Suspension parts and drive train parts may also have the material in the right place although it won't properly be termed pipe.
Farm equipment may have hubs, etc that may also have the material where you need it. Especially on the high HP tractors. If cat iron will do, you may be able to find wheel weights off an older tractor that might be cut down too.

Sorry I can't be more specific.

Cam

phatfred8
08-17-2007, 01:51 PM
Fastrack,

Give these guys a call. The last place that I worked we used them a lot for odd ball, short tubing parts. They used to be called Sosco in East St. Louis and have now moved to Warrenton Mo.

Hope this helps,

Brian

River City Specialty Tube

877-882-8223

www.rivercitysteelco.com

Mike W
08-17-2007, 02:01 PM
I could go to by my local steel supplier and probably find that size. They have tons of pipe.

Ausserdog
08-17-2007, 02:54 PM
Give me a shout either tonight or over the weekend. I MAY have some heavy tubing about the size you're looking for.

PM or email me if you lost my number.

Forrest Addy
08-17-2007, 04:12 PM
It's your deisgn but I suggesty you avoid pipe. The specific size you seek might be a handy from a minimum material removal perspective but pipe is made to be ductile so it will bend and give a little under operating conditions. I suggest instead 1040. It machines well, is weldable (with pre-heat), and far stronger than pipe. Better yet a hunk of A 30 cast iron from a Durabar supplier.

Evan
08-17-2007, 06:21 PM
I priced a 4" x 6" crop of durabar the other day. The lead machinist in the shop gave me a good deal too but it was still $50. I had to pass as I had already bought a bunch of steel.

pcarpenter
08-17-2007, 09:43 PM
American Iron and Alloys makes continuously cast stuff (like Durabar) and are in Wisconsin so shipping should not be bad. They will sell direct even to us little guys. I had an occasion to buy a piece of rectangular bar a while back and they were quite reasonable. In my case, they found a piece close enough by searching inventory that there was no cut charge either. I got it for about half what it was going to cost from McMaster-Carr.

http://www.versa-bar.com/

The continuous cast stuff is very nice. I am told its very free of voids and hard spots and that it typically does not have the hard shell that normally cast grey iron would. I didn't end up needing it for the original project, but look forward to making some other stuff from it.

Since the bearing will only be as accurate as the pillar it sits on, it probably does make sense to use something that is stable.

Paul

Fasttrack
08-18-2007, 12:31 AM
Hey guys thanks for all of the links - some of those look pretty promising.

Forrest Addy - the thought had crossed my mind but i had really hoped that if i got a thick enough piece it would be ok. The thing to remember is that this will be used on my milling machine ;) which is dinky and light-weight. I have to take super light passes just to keep the belts from slipping so there shouldnt be a super heavy pressure on the table. Plus there is the cost issue ...

thanks for the input everyone