• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rif
    • Aug 2006

Hendey Lathe Question

Hello,

There is an add, in the paper,for a Hendey lathe.

It is listed as a 14x18 with a quick change gearbox for $750.

I thought that the 14x18 dimension was kind of odd, so I called the guy up. He told me that it was a mis-print and that the bed is 8 feet long. So, I asked him how much it weighed, and he said that is was probably over 1000 pounds. I told him I figured that it weighed at least 2 or 3 thousand pounds and he said that it could.

So, my thought is that this guy doesn't seem to know too much about the lathe and that since he told me that the bed is 8 feet long, it is probably about a 14x60 or so and probably weighs more than 4000 pounds. Is anyone familiar enough, with the Hendey lathes, to make a guess as to what this lathe may be?

If there is anyone interested in looking at it, let me know and I'll give you his number.

Thanks,

Brian
    There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
  • wierdscience
    • Jan 2003

If it's a gearhead it's most likey a 14x54" 12 speed machine.It would weigh around 4000lbs and if in working shape be a very good lathe.

We have one at work,it's is the best threading lathe I have ever used

The size should be easy to ID since the numbers are cast right into the front of the lathe bed behind the carrage on later models.

If you ever come across one of thier precison toolmakers lathes in the 9x30" size,take a good look at it,those were EXCELLENT lathes.

If it were closer and a gearhead I would go look myself.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

• SGW
      • Apr 2001

Even if it's belt drive, it's still a good lathe, assuming it's in decent shape.
      ----------
      Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
      Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
      Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
      There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
      Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
      Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

• heavysteamer
        • Jun 2007

I have a Hendey 14x6 (6 foot bed) cone head lathe, built in 1915, that weighs just below 2500 pounds. These are wonderful machines.

Comment

Working...
        X