PDA

View Full Version : need help with PC problems

speedsport
08-20-2007, 01:52 PM
My PC quit last week, I bought and installed a new power supply, everything seems to work ok except now I don't have any sound, I opened the controls to make sure nothing was muted and everything looks ok. Any suggestions?

greyhawk200
08-20-2007, 02:35 PM
Somhow mute didn't get checked did it? control panel > sounds speech & audo devices > change the speaker settings.

Ben BTDT

ptjw7uk
08-20-2007, 06:14 PM
Why did you change the power supply
I ask because I have had several problems with PC's in which the power supply went 'strange' in that other components were damaged and required a new motherboard.
It was strange in that I could not detect any problem by measureing voltages on the power supply.
I've got to the point now that when my own PC went odd, ie the usb connectors refused to detect anything, I changed the power supply motherboard and cpu. Searching the web gave several instances were putting new components into an iffy motherboard took the new components out as well, so now I err on the side of caution.
I,m afraid electronics are not like machine components where you can measure the faults with gauges etc, I much prefer the mechanical faults as some you can live with!!

Peter

kendall
08-20-2007, 11:38 PM
possible that your cmos was cleared somehow, or the plug for the speakers is not inserted correctly, sounds simple but my PC has 6 jacks for the sound system, one is the default output, but depending on which boxes are checked, up to three others can be the output jack

Ken.

speedsport
08-20-2007, 11:42 PM
these are the speakers mounted in my LCD monitor, not external.

tattoomike68
08-20-2007, 11:54 PM
Will any other speaker work?

possible that your cmos was cleared somehow, or the plug for the speakers is not inserted correctly, sounds simple but my PC has 6 jacks for the sound system, one is the default output, but depending on which boxes are checked, up to three others can be the output jack

Ken.

me too, many ports for stuff. I have 3 computers running side by side so the wires are everywhere.

Rif
08-21-2007, 12:32 AM
these are the speakers mounted in my LCD monitor, not external.

Hello,

Well, technically they are external. They are external to your PC...even though they are part of your monitor. There should be a speaker wire going from your monitor to your PC. Also, as someone else said, make sure that the speaker wire is plugged into the correct port. Ever since they quit labeling the ports with text and started using symbols, I have sometimes had to find the right port by trial and error.

Regards,

Brian

gmatov
08-21-2007, 02:05 AM
You could also go to the Control Panel and check your sound options.

If you don't have digital option, and digital is checked, you will get either no sound or static.

I would advise anybody who does their own PC repair to spend 12 bucks to buy a power supply tester. Plug the wire into it, turn on the PSU, if you have 5 green lights, USUALLY good. Red light, BAD, less than 5 green, sumpin wrong.

Not infallible!!!

Had one of my kid's at home a while back, tested OK. Plug back in, turn on, power up 3 seconds, shut off. Pull the drive connectors, turn on, all is well, but no boot drive. Plug back in, 3 second shutdown. Bad 12 or 5 VDC section of the PS, but not enough to blow the fuse or burn anything up. Or good PS, tripped instead of burning something up, reset.

Had another of my kid's that I attached a new PS and instantly blew that..

You win some, you lose some.

Cheers,

George

Evan
08-21-2007, 06:10 AM
The sound ports are usually color coded. Green is the front channel stereo output.