PDA

View Full Version : Using metric slip gauges on 5 inch sine bar

David S Newman
08-20-2007, 02:28 PM
I have an old high quality 5 inch sine bar and no slip gauges, have been offered a metric set of gauges, I know nothing about these instruments so forgive me if this is a stupid question, would metric gauges be suitable to use with an imperial sine bar ? David

TGTool
08-20-2007, 03:27 PM
Distance is distance no matter what units it's measured in. You only need to convert the calculated setup height for your 5" sine bar so you know what it stacks up to as a metric dimension, then choose the blocks that can make that up. I think if I were doing it I'd give the stack a quick micrometer or caliper check to reassure myself that I hadn't made some gross error in the unit conversions and stackup additions.

Also, in case it isn't obvious it's also probably easier to calculate the sine of 5" and then convert to metric than to calculate the sine for a 127.00025 mm sine bar, but maybe not. :)

mklotz
08-20-2007, 03:59 PM
Enter the angle desired into your calculator, press the "sin" key, and then multiply the result by 127 (5*25.4). That will give you the required stack height directly in mm.

David S Newman
08-21-2007, 02:39 PM
Thank you both so much for the advice given in a simple to understand way. Had a practice run today and now have it sussed, like everything else easy when you know how. Thanks again David