PDA

View Full Version : 1893-1903 Pratt & Whitney Lathe Runs!

Rif
08-21-2007, 11:52 PM
To make a long story short, I installed and temporarily wired the motor to a power cord and used the circuit breaker as the switch. The lathe would run for about 20 seconds, then blow the 20 amp breaker. On a hunch, I figured that I may have one of the coils wired backwards on my repulsion motor...resulting in too much amperage being drawn. So, I reversed the leads for one of the two coil pairs and it worked! The motor also ran much faster...imagine that!

I ran the lathe both with the back gear and without on all speeds without any problem. I only let it run for a couple of minutes on each speed and kept a close watch on the bearing temperatures. I may have to loosen the left-hand spindle bearing slightly. Before I do that I will add a piece of gauze to the oiler to replace the missing wick oiler.

I guess the next step is to wire a switch into the circuit and mount it on the lathe.

I'll also need to do something about my motor/counter-shaft mount as the counter-shaft makes quite a racket. But, that is rather minor.

Soon I'll be ordering the cast iron, for the chuck backing plate, in order to mount the 4-jaw chuck I purchased onto the lathe.

Regards,

Brian

A.K. Boomer
08-22-2007, 08:50 AM
Damn --- almost sounds like a museum peice, good job bringing her around...

Your Old Dog
08-22-2007, 08:57 AM
Corngratulations as they say here in farm country! Would sure like to see some pictures of it when you can do it.