PDA

View Full Version : Italics

darryl
08-22-2007, 01:03 AM
How can I type in italics here? Is there a way to do that from my keyboard? I wanted to emphasize something the other day and couldn't find a way to do it, except go capitals. What am I missing

lugnut
08-22-2007, 01:17 AM
Do you mean like this
At the top of the panel click on the I for italics

Tinkerer
08-22-2007, 01:19 AM
darryl... When your in the text box you'll see a B I U in the upper left side. Just click on the I and type.. unclick and your back normal.

aostling
08-22-2007, 01:30 AM
darryl... When your in the text box you'll see a B I U in the upper left side. Just click on the I and type.. unclick and your back normal.

This is news to me. I don't see the B I U characters to click on. How do you make these appear?

I use the vB code for italics, bold, and to indent, as described in the forum FAQ.

Willy
08-22-2007, 02:22 AM
Go to user CP, settings and options, edit options, bottom of the page, misc. options, select either the standard editor or the enhanced interface.

aostling
08-22-2007, 02:35 AM
Go to user CP, settings and options, edit options, bottom of the page, misc. options, select either the standard editor or the enhanced interface.

Thanks, this opens up a new world of conveniences.

Swarf&Sparks
08-22-2007, 02:49 AM
Ctrl I will do it too :)

darryl
08-22-2007, 02:58 AM
There it is. Underlined or not. Bold, or not. Normal. Bold.

This has been a test of the enhanced interface. Now I see where all the effects are coming from. What's this got to do with metalworking you ask?
Nothing!

Ok, play time is over. No, now it's over. :o Oh, control I will work also. Now how do I get out of this- like this. Ok.

darryl
08-22-2007, 03:20 AM
Ok, now I want to magnify the text so I can read the postings without wearing the reading glasses. Can I do that?:confused:

Joel
08-22-2007, 03:23 AM
Hit control, then use your mouse scroll to zoom.

darryl
08-22-2007, 03:45 AM
Thanks guys. This does make it more convenient. I really should learn more about the buttons on the keyboard.

Evan
08-22-2007, 05:44 AM
The enhanced interface has some bugs, especially when editing a word that causes a line wrap. It also has some problems with links and again, especially when editing them. To edit img links requires switching back to basic text mode using the AA icon at the top right of the edit window. Also beware of pasting anything that contains HTML as it will not post the same as it appears in the editor.

Mike W
08-22-2007, 06:27 AM
With Firefox you can go to view...text size. Or hit control ++.

Your Old Dog
08-22-2007, 08:34 AM
Hit control, then use your mouse scroll to zoom.

Joel, I want to get you on my Christmas Card List. What's your address ! :D

Orrin
08-22-2007, 11:19 AM
I don't use the enhanced editor, but am still able to type italics, bold, etc. by using some of the few HTML commands I know.

To start italics, type the left square bracket [, then an i, then the right square bracket ]. I can't type an example of it, here, because if I do you won't see it and the rest of this reply will show up in italic print.

To stop italics, type the left square bracket [, then /i, then the right square bracket ].

Likewise, you can substitute U for I to get underline and B to get bold text.

I know, my method is clunky and requires more keystrokes, but because of my work on Web pages it is what I'm accustomed to.

Orrin

Alistair Hosie
08-22-2007, 12:03 PM
How do you do red words other than bank threatening letters:DAlistair

Evan
08-22-2007, 12:16 PM
I can't type an example of it, here, because if I do you won't see it and the rest of this reply will show up in italic print.
Sure you can. Just use the [noparse] tag. It stops the BBS software from interpreting anything between the noparse start and end tags.

Example: You may use these tags to emphasize text;

, ,

Each tags effect is ended by using the tag preceeded with a forward slash:

, ,

Full info here:

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/misc.php?do=bbcode#color

Orrin
08-22-2007, 05:51 PM
Thank you for that, Evan. It's something that I did not learn from the book HTML for Dummies. It turned out to be a huge dissapointment. Instead of telling all about HTML syntax, it spent chapter after chapter on the principles of good page layout.

Now, that begs a question: What is the syntax for a comment in HTML, one that is not intended to display on the screen?

TIA

Orrin

Evan
08-22-2007, 06:03 PM
The HTML comment tag starts with <!-- and ends with -->

However, HTML and UBB code aren't the same. Also, various BBS applications may implement differing subsets of the possible codes. As well, HTML may or may not be allowed in posts. Some BBS software implements non standard extensions of UBB code.

Now, I just found a bug in Google. I would like someone to verify it for me. If I do a search using the opening comment tag <!-- as the search term then Google chokes and returns nothing at all. It doesn't even say that no documents matched etc. unless you try to search the news.

Joel
08-22-2007, 06:08 PM

wierdscience
08-22-2007, 11:33 PM
How do you do red words other than bank threatening letters:DAlistair

That underlined A next to the sizes drop down

There are a bunch of colors there,but we know your favorite:D

wierdscience
08-22-2007, 11:46 PM
Well,no the smilies don't get bigger with type size.

Swarf&Sparks
08-23-2007, 02:22 PM
Then there's the fun stuff like...

Ω

etc, etc

Orrin
08-24-2007, 01:46 PM
The HTML comment tag starts with <!-- and ends with -->

Thank you for that, Evan. I appreciate it.

Best regards,

Orrin

Evan
08-25-2007, 12:04 AM
So, has anybody tried entering <!-- as the search term in Google? I would like to know if you see the same thing I do. As far as I can determine it's a real bug in how Google treats the search term.

Evan
08-25-2007, 12:08 AM
Well,no the smilies don't get bigger with type size.

They don't? http://vts.bc.ca/pics/bigsmile.jpg

aostling
08-25-2007, 01:01 AM
At least none of you typeface adventurers has sunk so low as to use the underlining feature. That's forbidden, by law. http://safari.oreilly.com/0321303369/ch31lev1sec12

wierdscience
08-25-2007, 01:42 AM
Mine didn't the other night:DAnd they still don't now,what's up with that?

aostling
08-25-2007, 01:52 AM
So, has anybody tried entering <!-- as the search term in Google? I would like to know if you see the same thing I do. As far as I can determine it's a real bug in how Google treats the search term.

I did it, and got a blank search result, just as you did. I guess it is a bug.

There is that game (I forget the name of it), the object of which is to have Google turn up exactly two search results. Apparently it is a hard number to achieve.

Evan
08-25-2007, 02:40 AM
Ok, that confirms it. What is happening is that Google is parsing the HTML comment code when it returns the search results. It shouldn't as it is causing the rest of the results page to be ignored as a comment. If you look at the page source there is much more that should appear but doesn't. I think I'll drop them a note.

The game is called "Google Whack" and it is very hard to achieve. The words must be found in the standard Google dictionary.

Joel
08-25-2007, 03:45 PM
I got the same result as aostling with Google.

Hey wierdscience:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v186/JoelinTX/tongue.gif

Alistair Hosie
08-25-2007, 04:32 PM
but does it work.???Alistair

dp
08-25-2007, 04:49 PM
Ok, that confirms it. What is happening is that Google is parsing the HTML comment code when it returns the search results. It shouldn't as it is causing the rest of the results page to be ignored as a comment. If you look at the page source there is much more that should appear but doesn't. I think I'll drop them a note.

The game is called "Google Whack" and it is very hard to achieve. The words must be found in the standard Google dictionary.

Search engines have stop words in order to prevent finding a near infinite result. Without them searches would become exhaustive and collapse the hardiest engines. Google will sometimes respond with advisories that certain common words are ignored. Comment characters are found so very widely and are so often meaningless that it is likely not worth the table space in their systems to store them, their context, and where they are found.

Searching for "the" will return zillions of pages they they have not indexed all of them. This is a modification of the stop word implementation in that the word is accepted in a search but is not necessarily an indexed word except for otherwise popular pages that are cached or are pages from sites that have paid for Google ad space. It wasn't always this way but then Google is continually changing to provide more profitable results.

Evan
08-25-2007, 06:54 PM
The reason I am sure it is a bug and not intentional is that the result is different if you use the comment search term on the news pages. Then it does tell you that no documents matched the search term. It should be returning this text on the main page just as it does when searching the news.

Your search - <!-- - did not match any documents.

Suggestions:
Make sure all words are spelled correctly.
Try different keywords.
Try more general keywords.
Try Google Blog Search (http://blogsearch.google.com/blogsearch?hl=en&client=news).Also, you can browse today's headlines on the Google News (http://news.google.ca/news?ned=) homepage.