PDA

View Full Version : Need 5C Closer Advise - Quick : )

uute
05-06-2003, 12:02 AM
Turning a closer for 5C collets. Bored out to body dia. (1 1/4) dead on at 1.250.

Question is: Should I cut releif of .002-.005 down most of body, leaving just a "register" journal of 1/2 to 5/8" at the drawbar end, or keep the whole bore at 1.250"?

Like to know before I attempt the nose taper!

TIA

uute

Oso
05-06-2003, 12:28 AM
Leave it...the collets may have their own center relief. And all it would do if you put one in the bore is catch on the collet and burr up something anyhow.

I'd put a half thou or something over the collet size just so it will assemble if your hot hand expands the collet....or the work gets hot and you can't loosen it....

wierdscience
05-06-2003, 12:35 AM
Yep what he said!

uute
05-06-2003, 12:47 AM
Tanks Guys,

Thime to set over the compound!!

uute

BTW: Any opinions on heat treating it. It is cut from a soft China #5 x 4 MT sleeve. Will it just turn out hard and warped? (not set up to grind it)

Thanks again

Thrud
05-07-2003, 03:24 AM
Don't sweat it, cut it and leave it. you could try flame hardening it. Don't get carried away as most grinding shops will refuse to grind it for you, stating concentricity problems.

uute
05-07-2003, 11:34 AM
Back again,

Yea, that's kinda what I thought. After cutting it, even more so. Nose piece / closer coming out pretty nice, if I do say so myself.

Figured if I just have to have a harder one someday, I might be able to turn one from a harder MT sleeve after more experience and some carbide tooling. Or by then, just take you good advise and procure a collet chuck.

Life being what it is, great idea's aside, I bet this closed will serve for a long time. ; )

Thanks again
uute

sidneyt
05-09-2003, 08:28 PM
I have just finished a 5c collet closer using the two articles: one is Norman Telleson's article "5c Collet Closer" (two parts) in the May/June and July/August issues of HSM, and the second is Fred Prestridge's article, "Another collet closer", in Machinist's Workshop issue for Dec/Jan 2003. I wound up using mainly the Prestridge article but I used Norm's directions for turning the spindle adapter. The collet closer works well and is nice to have.

Your question of cutting relief for the collet depends on whether you are adding a key to the spindle adapter. Norm suggests cutting .030" of relief because, I believe, the 8-32 key (made from an 8-32 socket head setscrew) does create a burr on the inside of the spindle adapter. If you are not using a key then there is no reason why you couldn't bore it 1.25" the whole way. I think the key does help when tightening the collet by holding it in place. But, it will work without a key.