PDA

View Full Version : Boring Bar manufacture

Alistair Hosie
08-22-2007, 05:48 PM
I bought several boring bars on Ebay "brand new not used" and then I sent off fo a dozen dedicated cutters for each one as I liked them so much the larger one is a GLANZE tool perhaps you know of the firm.I am very happy with them one is really quite small and the other is a reasonable medium size.I wondered if anyone could point me to some website information regarding manufacturing a larger one in the home workshop.If anyone has already done so please let me see and know what it was like.I made one myself but it was no great thing of beauty.I found it dificult cutting the v notch to accept the cutters "of which I have plenty".I look forward to your comments gentlemen.Alistair

Your Old Dog
08-22-2007, 06:27 PM
Alistair, I haven't had to make any or buy any new ones. I've been really lucky at flea markets and garage sales. I live in an old rust belt industrial neighborhood and lots of workers brought this stuff home in their pockets, either knowingly or un-knowingly :D Now that I got a macho Drill Doctor I can't find any big bits at yard sales !!

lets not get off on a Drill Dr. love it or hate it thread ! :D

jimmstruk
08-22-2007, 06:27 PM
Alistair, please tell us what type of cutters you want to use. Indexable? triangular, square? Maybe square highspeed steel? How do you fasten the boring bar to your lathe? or is the bar for use in mill? JIM

Alistair Hosie
08-22-2007, 06:42 PM
the cutters are indexable triangular cutters if that helps held in the lathes normal quick release toolholder which is German made.Alistair

Alistair Hosie
08-22-2007, 06:44 PM
Y.O.D I don't have a drill doctor but I have a superb Jones and shipman drill grinder sharpenner. see here Alistair
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/tybachdai/DRILLPOINTTOOLGRINDER026.jpg

ptjw7uk
08-22-2007, 06:52 PM
I see its got the scottish green rust on it already!!
Peter

Alistair Hosie
08-22-2007, 06:56 PM
Oh is that what green looks like I always wondered :D This is the machine Evan always shows to prove I am a greenaholic.Actually most of my tools/machines are not green at all only a few of them.The problem is that I have alot of machinery so it seems like a lot.Alistair

BobWarfield
08-22-2007, 07:43 PM
I've been very happy with carbide circle boring bars found on eBay. I have the Glanze set for my CCMT lathe tools, but the circle bars are so much more rigid I basically quit using the Glanze for boring.

BTW, I think Micro 100 has relabeled the Glanze tools if anyone needs to find them. Seems like Penn or someone has them on sale from time to time.

Best,

BW