PDA

View Full Version : cattleguards

aostling
08-23-2007, 01:28 AM
What have cattleguards got to do with this forum? Well, they are disappearing. So steel rails are disappearing. What's the world coming to?

This is probably old news to you farm boys, but it surprised me to discover that the venerable cattleguard is being replaced by white-painted stripes on a little section of asphalt. I noticed this when I was in California's Owens Valley two weeks ago.

I guess it is now cheaper to do a little paving and painting than to buy the steel.
I assume the steers can't tell the difference.

rbregn
08-23-2007, 01:31 AM
Maybe the California steers are smoking to much dope and can't see the difference!:D It will probably work until the first one steps on it not having any knowledge of the real deal

Evan
08-23-2007, 05:52 AM
It works ok since cattle are very, very stupid. Sheep are worse. I once saw sheep coming out of a chute refuse to step over a garden hose that had been left across their path. It probably looked like a very long snake. Finally the lead sheep decided to jump high over the hose and so did every one that followed. We still have real cattle guards here as well as open range.

A.K. Boomer
08-23-2007, 09:35 AM
Dont think its the cost of steel, its been going on for over 30 years in my area, steel is still used on dirt roads as painting is dirt is futile.

Your Old Dog
08-23-2007, 09:48 AM
Allan, you're not talking about the stripe on the side of the road for bicyclist are you? Here in New York, where the tax payers are very rich, we have added 3-4 feet to both sides of every road we can find just for bikes and walkers. We got sidewalks where no human has every walked before. We are also in the process or replacing metal guard rails with the more expensive concrete barriers on damn near every inch of highway. Sorry, you got me started and hence the wild hair responce!

Willy
08-23-2007, 10:06 AM
I can appreciate the replacement of cattle guards with painted stripes, because they are very expensive. Not only the original cost and installation but also their maintenance as they have to be pulled periodically and dug out with a backhoe and reset again.

What I can't understand is the fact the painted stripes are effective at all. I know that cattle are stupid and tastey, but do they walk around at night with little flashlights to see where they are going? And I know it's not an issue in some areas, but what happens when it snows?

Evan
08-23-2007, 10:22 AM
Cattle are very much creatures of habit. They have a pecking order and will follow the lead cow. If the lead cow learns not to go somewhere she won't go there even when it snows. They may get out sometimes if panicked for some reason but normally simply won't try once they learn not to approach the fake guard. If they do get out they will be somewhat contained by similar painted guards.

Bulls are a different story. They don't have a brain at all, just big balls.

Swarf&Sparks
08-23-2007, 10:50 AM
Bulls don't have a brain?
Maybe only the young ones.

"No son, let's walk down there and screw em all!"

aostling
08-23-2007, 11:56 AM
Dont think its the cost of steel, its been going on for over 30 years in my area, steel is still used on dirt roads as painting is dirt is futile.

The painted stripes I saw were on dirt NFS roads which were paved for about ten feet at the fence crossing.

It seems like there could be a market for a plastic panel, rugged enough to stand driving over, and with black and white stripes embedded in the coloration.

Alistair Hosie
08-23-2007, 03:41 PM
My wife tells me that as a young girl in Wales she would witness sheep lying on their sides and rolling across cattle grids smart sheep down there :DAlistair

HWooldridge
08-23-2007, 08:03 PM
Interesting...our local Texas cattle don't pay much attention to stripes - sometimes, they don't even watch for fences.

Most of our guards have a pit underneath so they don't fill in for many years. Two big pieces of angle iron on the right and left side then crossed with 3 or 4 inch pipe. The fancy ones are set in concrete - the po' boy models are set in the soil. They need to be about 6 feet wide or the critters will jump them. Hard to believe if you haven't seen it but an old cow can jump a long way with no running start.

Lew Hartswick
08-23-2007, 08:23 PM
Allan, you're not talking about the stripe on the side of the road for bicyclist are you? Here in New York, where the tax payers are very rich, we have added 3-4 feet to both sides of every road we can find just for bikes and walkers. We got sidewalks where no human has every walked before. We are also in the process or replacing metal guard rails with the more expensive concrete barriers on damn near every inch of highway. Sorry, you got me started and hence the wild hair responce!

I doubt most the people in New York have ever seen a cattle guard.
:-)
...lew...