PDA

View Full Version : Idler motor question for a static phase converter

Rif
08-24-2007, 04:28 PM
Hello,

I have an opportunity to purchase a 3 phase motor, for a static phase converter for $50. It is a Baldor. My question is: will it make any difference that this is a 3450 RPM motor?

Thanks,

Brian

J. R. Williams
08-24-2007, 04:39 PM
Rif
You are talking about two different devices. The "Static" converter is made up of relays and Capacitors and sometimes Inductors to generate the phase shift while the Rortary converter uses a rotating motor as a rotary transformer to generate the three phase power. Go for the rotary unit. The 3450 motor will work fine providing it's hp rating is higher than the motor to be driven.
JRW

Rif
08-24-2007, 04:49 PM
Rif
You are talking about two different devices. The "Static" converter is made up of relays and Capacitors and sometimes Inductors to generate the phase shift while the Rortary converter uses a rotating motor as a rotary transformer to generate the three phase power. Go for the rotary unit. The 3450 motor will work fine providing it's hp rating is higher than the motor to be driven.
JRW

I just re-read my question, and I wasn't very clear and possibly mis-leading. That is my fault.

I have purchased a static phase converter. The motor will be used as an idler motor that generates the 3rd leg of the 3-phase power. So, my question should be: Will the 3450 RPM motor work as an idler motor?

If my understanding is correct, by adding an idler motor I am, in effect, turning a static phase converter into a rotary phase converter?

So, if we are both understanding each other, the 3450 RPM motor will work as the idler motor? Also, the static phase converter is good for 1/4HP to 3HP, the idler motor I am asking about is 2HP, and the driven motor is 3/4 HP.

Thanks,

Brian

lane
08-24-2007, 07:09 PM
Yes that will work I did the same thing . The RPM does not matter.

Rif
08-24-2007, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the answers.

I have it coming. I bid on it, on ebay, lost the bid by a dollar, then got a second chance (I guess the buyer backed out.), so I got it coming for about $63.

Brian

J. R. Williams
08-24-2007, 10:06 PM
You have the problem solved by going that route as the Static unit will make starting the rotating transformer motor easier. I replaced the single phase motor on my lathe, 3 hp, with a three phase motor and a VFD unit. The VFD gives a wide speed range. You may want to install the unit outside the shop to reduce the noise level.

JRW