PDA

View Full Version : Thread specs

Joel
05-06-2003, 04:39 AM
I need to know the major diameter for 1" NPSH threads, and all my books are still packed! I thought Thrud had posted a link with a complete listing of thread specs. but I am unable to locate it.

Also, I have never seen NST thread specs. listed anywhere. Anyone know where I might find them?

Thrud
05-07-2003, 02:59 AM
Joel:
Modern Machine Shop Handbook for the Metaworking Industries ISBN: 1-56990-345-X

page 1513 states:

1-11.5NPSH
pitch: .08696"
allowance .o1oo"

ext Major Diam: 1.2951"
ext pitch diam: 1.2386"
ext minor diam: 1.1821"

int Major diam: 1.1921"
int pitch diam: 1.2486"
int minor diam: 1.3051"

Dave Opincarne
05-07-2003, 08:10 PM
Read this originaly as "Thrud Specs" http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

Oh well

-Dave

motorworks
05-07-2003, 08:28 PM
Thrud
"Modern Machine Shop Handbook for the Metaworking Industries ISBN: 1-56990-345-X"
? Thrud
Is this book any good.ie Is it worth the cash?
thanks
e

Joel
05-08-2003, 01:25 AM
Thanks Thrud. Does you book by any chance list NST (sometimes called NH) threads?

Thrud Specifications: Everything http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

Thrud
05-08-2003, 02:18 AM
Joel
Same page - 1513.

Motorworks

I think it is worth the money. It has more info applicable to todays machine shop than Machinery's Handbook. Even has a section on milling threads with cnc and single or multi-point thread mills. Less useless ****, and it does have some good machining tips in it.

You can get it from www.hansergardner.com (http://www.hansergardner.com) for $55 (US + taxes & shipping). Canadians should have it sent by USPS Priority Post as they do not ding you $50 brokerage like UPS will (the post office will either let it through free or 5.75 + 7% GST and & 7% GST on the value of the goods in $CDN).

You can order it from most book sellers and they may sell it much cheaper - shop around.

dvideo
05-08-2003, 03:03 AM
Thrud...

I don't know where you came across all of these books.... I have followed the links and bought a few..... but a lot of what you have pointed out are seriously obscure....

for example....

I can find a MULTITUDE of "Seven Pillars of Wisdom" - by TE Lawrence, FIRST EDITION on the net at Alibris or Ablebooks. This is seriously rare and considerd by many to be the best book of the 20th century. But a lot of the titles you point out JUST AREN'T out there - except for the nooks and cranny's you point to...

I have no complaints... I eventually find what I want and get it.. But....

It brings out that the metals books are very rare here - even compared with the UK.. Try to Get Martin Cleeves's book or Sparey's books - or Tubal Cain's..... It's farily hard to track them down. I am even saving up now to place a big Nexus order.

You would think the good reference books would be common, and they aren't... Lots of brainless textbooks, though...

-- jr

Thrud
05-09-2003, 12:25 AM
dvideo:
Another source of metalworking books is ASM international - formerly know as the American Society of Metalworking.

They have the bible on metal work "the Metals Handbook" last time I looked the set had 30 volumes and was nearly $2000/set - you can buy individual volumes as well.

http://www.asminternational.org/

sidneyt
05-09-2003, 10:55 AM
"But a lot of the titles you point out JUST AREN'T out there - except for the nooks and cranny's you point to... "

I have been collecting various machining books over the past couple of years. It is rare that I can't find a title, whether it be a used book or a reprint of a book. If all else fails, the book can probably be borrowed through interlibrary loan at your library. Two examples of such books I got through our state library (Alabama) was:
Lathe operations by Richard Kibbe, and
Sparey's book.
The Kibbe book, BTW, is excellent.

Have you been using abebooks.com or Amazon? I have been very sucessful using both services. I have ordered books both from the US and UK. I will compile a short bibliography of the books I have acquired if you are interested.

dvideo
05-09-2003, 04:06 PM
There are books... and there are books worth re-reading....

I have not used the Dallas libraries. I really want stuff that is worth putting on the shelf and re-reading. Mostly I looked for ones I can buy in good shape used and put on the shelf. In the world of computers, they are everywhere - good ones, too. TO get Cleeve's book, it was not so clear-cut. Ordered it twice and got canceled out twice. But it really shows that they are hard to get. A list of good metal working books complied by people who know what they are doing is useful on topic. Primary object to me, it to learn and go back and read it again.... and learn more. Sparey's book was dead on target here... I have the machine tool reconditioning book ordered, but not here.. South Bend series.... Tubal Cains books - I have one of... Gingery's "build it" series... Lautard's books are next..

I read a lot, go tinker, and then come back and read again.. I comes in at a different knowledge and perception level. Read Martin's book 5 times so far. Really. COver to Cover....

Good book list would be a thing a lot of people would get value from - Especially with the trational
"stars" rating - and even better with multiple people reviewing... Amazon had that figured out and I read the reviews before spending...

It's also useful to keep a running count of "how useful" this was and rank order... A lot more useful to a novice, I guess...

So I would find a good list useful.... but more importatnly I would think a lot of people would find it useful.

Never mind the Videos and Tapes..... The profit motive isn't there, but there is more to life - and I wish these were being created... Addy makes fun of the idea - but the sentiment is dead on.. And is not that hard to do.

-- jerry robinson

docsteve66
05-09-2003, 04:49 PM
The problem with "ranking " books is that the one I could not understand and called worthless becomes valuable when I l;earn enough to understand it- but some times the first one is malarky and no one could/would understand it cause it bears no resemblance to the real world.

For sure, when I go though a book (wish I could say "Master it") I don't want to return it to a libary. My books have notes, notes just for me. Sometimes on later readings (understanding more) I write in "LES-missed the point". The worth of a book (reference or not) depends on the reader as much as the writer. And the indexing is very important to me.
LES (steve)

Thrud
05-10-2003, 01:26 AM
Steve

The most useless book I ever bought (at great expense) was "The Mathematical Theory of Black Holes" - puts me to sleep in a few pages. Can't finish the dang thing! Besides that, his theorem is wrong - now.