PDA

View Full Version : Value of assorted horizontal mill cutters?

Doc Nickel
08-24-2007, 07:20 PM
I have about half a dozen mill cutters that came with my Atlas horizontal mill, that are either too large in diameter (to fit between the arbor and overarm) or have too large an arbor hole (1-1/4", when my Atlas has a 1" arbor.)

They're all assorted, and range from kinda dull but usable, to pretty sharp, and all sorts of different tooth, diameter and width combinations. One example:

http://www.docsmachine.com/machineshop/cutter.jpg

The mill came with a dozen or so total, and I'm keeping the ones that fit, but I have no use for the rest, and figured I'd put 'em on eBay.

Except that a quick look- assuming I'm using the right keywords- shows they really don't sell for much except in bucket quantities (presumably to those that have a way to sharpen them.)

So basically, is it even worth my trying to list these, and if so, should I list them seperately or as a single lot (and offer flat-rate USPS shipping.)

Thanks.
Doc.

Doc Nickel
08-24-2007, 07:23 PM
Oh, and does anyone know where I can get another arbor for the little Atlas horizontal? I have one that's clearly handmade- though well done- and I'd like to get another that's shorter (to reduce flex) or another and then shorten it.

There was somebody on eBay selling some shopmade ones, but I can't find any now. I suppose I should just make one, but I already have more projects than I'll live to complete. :D

Doc.

BadDog
08-24-2007, 07:24 PM
You can use them on your vert with a stub arbor. I've got a few dozen of the things, cheap on ebay, that I use with a stub on my Bridgeport.

Doc Nickel
08-24-2007, 07:32 PM
Already have a 1" stub arbor, and the selection of 1" bore cutters I'm keeping pretty much matches the one's I'd be getting rid of.

And considering the number of times I've used the cutters and the stub arbor since I got it- once in something like five years- I figured it'll be better to dispose of the ones I can't dual-use, rather than spending more money on another arbor I won't use. :D

Third question, though: How "thin" a cutter can one get for this machine? I mean, the arbor is 1", could I concievably find a 1-1/2" dia cutter? Highest and best use for this little horizontal might be to make it a semi-dedicated tubing notcher...

Doc.

Joel
08-24-2007, 07:49 PM
You can list them, but as you already noted, they aren't worth a whole lot. Got any friends who could make use of them? If you do list, definitely sell them as a lot and flat-rate 'em.
A 1-1/2" cutter sure won't leave a heck of a lot of room for teeth with only a 1/4" per side. I have a ton of cutters for my 1" arbor, but the smallest one is 2-1/2".
Of course you could always just use an end mill holder for tube notching.

platypus2020
08-24-2007, 07:57 PM
Doc,

Checked, I don't have an extra 1" arbor, but if you need it, I have an intruction sheet on how to make one, real quick, no taper cutting. If you need it let me know I'll e-mail it to you.

jack

gzig5
08-24-2007, 11:23 PM
You might try one of the other machinist boards that have a For Sale section and see if someone would be willing to trade you something you can use for your cutters. This has worked several times for me in the past. Seems to be easier to pry excess tooling (money already spent) out of someone rather than extra cash. Just make sure that both parties are clear on condition of articles and such.
Greg

BadDog
08-25-2007, 03:22 AM
I got both 1" and 1.5" stub arbors. Don't think I've ever used the 1.5, and the 1", maybe twice in the 8 or so months I've had it. I've got something like 7 near new Niagara 6" "saw blade" side cutting mills (ranging from 1/8 to 1/4") that I picked up for something like $10. Never used them. I've got a box full of smaller cutters, seems like I paid $20 for them, and they range from slitting saws up to a ~3 x 1/2" stagger tooth side cutter. But alas, the best of the bunch was a brand new 3 x 1/8" B&S side cutting mill, that I burned up by miscalcs on the speed (sigh). First cut, and ruined... <sigh>

One thing I like is, if there is room using the stub arbor for a slitting saw. Much better (or so it seems) than my slitting saw arbor, if it will fit.

Doc Nickel
08-25-2007, 04:37 AM
Checked, I don't have an extra 1" arbor, but if you need it, I have an intruction sheet on how to make one, real quick, no taper cutting. If you need it let me know I'll e-mail it to you.

-No taper cutting? Is that the trick about putting a 1" rold-rolled rod in an MT2-to-1"-Weldon-shank endmill adapter?

As for fabricating a new arbor, I have an arbor that I'm sure I can duplicate. It's an absurdly simple lathe project, with the only remotely tricky part being the taper.

Or is there some part I'm overlooking? :D

Doc.

platypus2020
08-25-2007, 07:13 AM
Doc,

No trick, I got the plans off the net, it uses a premade MT2 taper, sorry, the posting was written after a 18 hour work day and wasn't real clear.

Jack

applescotty
08-25-2007, 09:34 AM
If you're going to sell them, I think you'll have better luck selling them as a lot. Shipping is the killer. Who wants to pay $5 in shipping for a $5 cutter? They'll probably all fit in a flat rate USPS box, so the shipping is more reasonable.

Scott

J Tiers
08-25-2007, 10:05 AM
1)
I've seen the "no taper" method of making an arbor, and I have NO IDEA why ANYONE would ever actually do that.

The work required to do the taper is trivial, really, and all you are "avoiding" is the need to "get it correct" as to the taper.

BUT, the other method has lots of tricky parts regarding fitting the pre-made tapered part to the straight part. There is just as much to "get correct" that way, if not more.

Plus, you end with a two-piece item that is likely to have more problems than a one-piece part made halfway decently. It certainly isn't going to be any MORE rigid than a one-piece part, and very likely will be less so if any mistake is made.

2)
Cutters are a drug on the market. I have been trying to sell a lot of them (in other places) , with many specialty types, gear cutters and roller sprocket cutters, interlocking cutters etc. I have sold very few, despite a very attractive price. I am about ready to scrap them.

It was the same deal, I got several hundred pounds of them. I cleaned them up, went through them and pulled what I wanted, then cleaned up the lot. I traded some, and sold a few, but I still have quite a few, and probably at this point I should either scrap them, or keep them in case I buy a K&T some day. (no this isn't an ad, and I won't sell them to anyone in response to this message).

tattoomike68
08-25-2007, 04:32 PM
We have a small crate full of big horizontal cutters that came as part of a lot at an auction too. More than we need or want. A few fundred pounds.

Doc Nickel
08-25-2007, 04:37 PM
Looks like I'll try my hand at making an arbor, probably when the college opens back up. (I don't have a taper attachment, the college does- plus they have some contraption for setting it to known tapers, like Morse.)

What should I use? Cold-rolled? 4130 or 4140?

As for the cutters, I think you're right, I'll list 'em on eBay as a lot but put a relatively low reserve on 'em. See what happens.

Now, once I thought about it, I have an old Van Dorn "valve and tool" grinder (that still needs to be rebuilt) and the catalog shots of it in "tool" grinding configuration, show it sharpening something that looks like a large woodruff key cutter. I've been toying with the idea of making additional tooling to hold other types of cutters (hey, I already have a good grinder head, even has built-in coolant; why not use it?) so maybe I ought to hang on to one or two as guinea pigs. :D

Doc.

J Tiers
08-25-2007, 11:21 PM
Unless you have an MT4, you can do the taper with the compound. That's what I did. Just get as close the first pass as possible, then keep trying it in the spindle until it fits. At that point, make as many as you need while the setup is right.

If your compound has at least about 2.5" travel, you can make a nearly full length MT3.

tiptop
08-30-2007, 06:13 PM
Back when I had an Atlas, I made all my arbors. I really do not understand why a person would hesitate to make an arbor. Now I am using my #2 B&S horizontal on homemade arbors. Why wait, by the time you post, it would have been half done. Have fun.

Alistair Hosie
08-30-2007, 06:22 PM
be warned these thiongs go for small prices on ebay mostly .I would advise you to put a reserve if you don't want to let them go for a few bucks. Alistair