PDA

View Full Version : OT-slow Internet Explorer

Carld
08-27-2007, 12:41 AM
I spent the past week or so trying to find out why IE would take over two minutes to load and videos would take forever. I tried everything I could think of and then used everything windows suggested. I visited a few sites about it and finally downloaded Firefox and it cured windows IE.

Now that was interesting, windows could not cure the problem but loading another internet viewing program fixed windows IE. That don't say much for Microsoft. Maybe that shows that Microsoft has gotten soft, slow and dumb and can't fix anything without help from someone else.

I'll use Firefox and learn how to best use it and I may like it better than IE.

Rif
08-27-2007, 12:48 AM
There is a program called "cCleaner" that cleans out the registry, temporary internet cache, patch uninstallers, etc., that works quite well. (Just google "cCleaner" for the web site.) It is basically a registery cleaner on steriods.

I have used it, successfully, on several machines and it has fixed quite a few wierd problems. It is also a free download.

Brian

TGTool
08-27-2007, 12:56 AM
Nothing gets an old rooster on his toes and in shape like a new rooster in the yard.

Evan
08-27-2007, 01:00 AM
Firefox changes/restores global settings that affect internet performance. Those changes will affect IE as you have discovered.

Carld
08-27-2007, 09:51 AM
Yep, and today my email loads on my servers site fast on IE and won't load at all on Firefox, go figure :mad: . The other sites load ok on both IE and Firefox. All this makes me wish I had followed a friends advise and bought a Mac. Maybe next time I will but with my luck the hackers will start assulting Mac when I get one.

Rif
08-27-2007, 11:32 AM
Yep, and today my email loads on my servers site fast on IE and won't load at all on Firefox, go figure :mad: . The other sites load ok on both IE and Firefox. All this makes me wish I had followed a friends advise and bought a Mac. Maybe next time I will but with my luck the hackers will start assulting Mac when I get one.

Though I don't have any experience with a Mac, I do have a lot of Linux experience. Since Mac's run a Unix operating system and Linux is a close cousin, there should be a lot in common. A Mac should be a lot more stable and secure than a MS Windows operating system because Unix was designed for stability and security from the ground up. MS Windows was designed to look good first and everything else second. (Sometimes I don't even think MS Windows looks good anymore.)

With my Linux systems I can be dialed-up to the internet and I do not have to worry about a virus, spyware, etc. I run Firefox as the web browser, have a free office suite, have free programming tools, free firewall software, etc, and it is fast, stable, and secure. A Mac should be the same; however, I don't know how much free software you would get.

Brian

Carld
08-27-2007, 01:20 PM
Another suggested Linux and I am going to look into that. It would be cheaper than new 'puters.

wmgeorge
08-27-2007, 02:03 PM
Go to CNET.COM , Downloads and get Lavasoft Ad-aware, you will see at near the top of popular downloads. DO NOT download from anywhere else, or use another program... you WILL be sorry. Download and run, and be surprised at the amount of stuff it will find. BG

I spent the past week or so trying to find out why IE would take over two minutes to load and videos would take forever. I tried everything I could think of and then used everything windows suggested. I visited a few sites about it and finally downloaded Firefox and it cured windows IE.

Now that was interesting, windows could not cure the problem but loading another internet viewing program fixed windows IE. That don't say much for Microsoft. Maybe that shows that Microsoft has gotten soft, slow and dumb and can't fix anything without help from someone else.

I'll use Firefox and learn how to best use it and I may like it better than IE.

Mike W
08-27-2007, 05:03 PM
I have had one problem with Firefox recently. Photobucket changed how it looks when I logged on to my account. Everything was there but I didn't see the "upload new images like it used to look". I just couldn't find it. So I went to IE and logged on. There was a bar that I could click and do an upload. The bar did not show up in Firefox.

ProGunOne
08-29-2007, 04:21 AM
I tried the Ad-Aware SE Plus from Lavasoft with no luck. I still had the agrivating pop-ups, popping up constantly. I suspect I was infected with the adware thanks to my youngest downloading (free:rolleyes: ) music from the net. I didn't get any relief until a friend suggested Malwareremoval.com. They walked me through the whole process. Computer hasn't been running this good in a while. I've never been that far in depth on my computer ever.