PDA

View Full Version : Lathe at an upcoming auction

67chevelle
08-27-2007, 11:39 PM
There's an upcoming equipment auction close to me that has a lathe that I might be interested in. The only description in the auction literature says

"Southbend precision lathe Mod A,6ft bed"

I've had a 12x36 Craftsman/Atlas for a few years and have learned a lot with it, but am looking to upgrade if the right deal comes along. Lathes around here generally don't go cheaply..

I'm interested in anyones input on this lathe.

There is a similar looking one on ebay right now, in comparing the two, it looks like the blue one below has riser blocks under the headstock and tailstock, is this the case?

What would this lathe weigh?

http://cgi1.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=130146780494&Category=97230

Here is a picture of the one at the upcoming auction.

Thanks,
Mark

http://www.carringtonfamily.com/temp1/lathe.jpg

Tinkerer
08-28-2007, 12:18 AM
Kinda looks like it has risers added. As far as weight I'd guess upward of 2400 lb maybe a bit less if you clean out the chip pan. :D

garyphansen
08-28-2007, 12:31 AM
I would say that is a 16" with risers blocks to make it a 24". Gary P. Hansen

BadDog
08-28-2007, 12:40 AM
Yep, SB made a fair few of those blocked up machines. When I was shopping I found one just like that locally, but with a roughly 14' bed. Apparently used primarily for pattern making as they are not nearly strong enough to swing steel or like materials to anywhere near lathe capacity.

Tim Clarke
08-28-2007, 12:41 AM
I agree with Gary, it looks alot like the 14 1/2" that my buddy Chuck has, which is very much like a 16". All of these with risers that I know about were 16" jacked up to 24.

TC

gzig5
08-28-2007, 10:53 AM
The SB is sturdier than your Craftsman but is still considered a light lathe. I have owned and run both. Condition means everything and I would pass on a worn SB 9" versus a Atlas/Craftsman in good shape. The SB 14" you linked to and the Heavy 10 are a different animal, much sturdier. Just depends on what you want to do with it. One thing to consider, the SB lathes of this size have either cast iron or bronze spindle bearings which limit their top speed to less than the Timken bearnings in the Atlas. This can make a difference on small diameter stuff.
Greg

bob308
08-28-2007, 05:43 PM
it would go atleast 2400 lb. now if it is in good shape and the ways are not bad. bid on it you mite get it cheap. the home shop guys don't want it too big to get in the celler and it is 3 phase. if it is a 16 blocked up to 24 you could take out the risers and have a nice heavy lathe. just keep the atlas for lite work.

dicks42000
08-28-2007, 10:57 PM
Yes, that's even what it was called, the 16-24....Check out the South Bend yahoo group, Tony's lathe site, or the S B group on Practical Machinist....A few people on there have them.
As said, intended for lighter duty than the 16 incher, either pattern making or repair work needing the larger swing. Kind of S B's answer to a gap bed lathe.
My later version of How to Run a Lathe has a chart in the back listing the bed lengths & weights. How long is the bed on this machine...?
Rick

garyphansen
08-29-2007, 04:38 PM
"If it is a 16 blocked up to 24"
you could take out the risers"

Not as easy at it sounds! The gear train would also need to be modified because when it is set up as a 24" it is farther fron the quick change gear box. Gary P. Hansen

tattoomike68
08-29-2007, 04:55 PM
a tail stock is included

Thats nice, some people think it cool to sell it seperatly.

bob308
08-29-2007, 04:56 PM
if changing a few gears or the gear plate is such a big deal i guess some one is in the wrong business. it is only bolts no trick machining.

garyphansen
08-29-2007, 07:14 PM
Bob: It is knowing what gears are needed and obtaining the proper gears that is the hard part! Now if the new owner happens to know someone who has a 16" south Bend to look at and photo the knowing might become easy. However, finding the right gears could still be hard and cost a lot of money. Gary P. Hansen

67chevelle
08-29-2007, 11:04 PM
Thanks for the info!

I'm starting to hope that the bidding goes above $500, so that I don't have to feel obligated to haul this home .. we'll see..

thanks,
Mark