PDA

View Full Version : I have been experminting

lane
08-28-2007, 11:10 PM
Got to thinking the other day. Could be a bad thing. Try not to do to much of that.
Mixed some STP motor honey with way oil . Don`t know just how much. about ¼ STP to ¾ way oil in one of my small eagle oil cans and have been using that on my lathe s 10k South Bend and 13/40 Acer. Man talking about moving nice that stuff is slick. The South bend has never felt so smooth since new, and the big lathe slides super slick. Thought I would pass this info along.. I new the STP was slick and have used it over the years for things other than putting in your car. But had never try ed this .Bet it would work grate on a shaper ram and box ways. Will try some on my old Van Norman nexk time I fire it up.

Ken_Shea
08-28-2007, 11:25 PM
Lane,
Where have you been applying it?
On the ways themselves or just the oilers?

Ken

Evan
08-29-2007, 02:21 AM
I have been using that for years on my South Bend. I mix STP with ISO 68 compressor oil and use that for general lubrication of the plane bearing surfaces.

Norman Warfield
08-29-2007, 08:17 AM
Iv'e been using S.T.P. for lubing spline shafts on vertical mill heads since back in the day. It works very well and stays there for a good while, plus whatever migrates to the quill is also useful.

Just one other place it does a good job.

lazlo
08-29-2007, 10:43 AM
I have been using that for years on my South Bend. I mix STP with ISO 68 compressor oil

That's basically the "old" Vactra #2 formula :)

Vactra #2 is ISO 68 viscosity, so adding STP to plain ISO 68 for the tackifiers and the EP additives, and you've got a nice way oil.
I think BadDog (Russ) suggested adding STP to plain ISO 68 on the big Vactra thread on PM, but was berated by the purists.

By the way, someone here (Lane?) suggested using STP to lube the dead center, and it works great!

Optics Curmudgeon
08-29-2007, 12:22 PM
I've been using the same STP/compressor oil mix since my supply of "old" Vactra ran out, three years or so. The compressor oil has the added benefit of a corrosion inhibitor.

Joe

Mad Scientist
08-29-2007, 12:51 PM
STP (blue bottle) is basically a viscosity improver. You might also want to try STP (red bottle) “four cylinder oil treatment”, it contains additives to make the oil slipperier and improve its ability to hold up under extreme pressures.

pcarpenter
08-29-2007, 01:07 PM
I know I risk bringing up the old arguments about using a made-for-the purpose oil...but that's not my intent here. It may well be that the additives in a real way lube (the old Vactra formulation for example) are pretty much just what you arrived at.

What I do wonder about however, is whether we can equate the tacifier additives in way oil with oil that sticks because its viscosity has just increased or its "squish factor" has been reduced due to EP additives like zinc. The reason I am asking the question is that it would seem to me that it is desirable to have an oil whose film strength is good enough to keep it from all wiping off. On the other hand, I would think that a good way oil would not produce a film so thick that you made a "floaty layer" on which something like a carriage would ride such that you ended up with some variability in its rigidity. In other words, you want reduced friction and film retention, but not "hydroplaning" :D

I have been using pure Lucas engine oil additive (much like STP) on the outboard change gears on my lathe for a while. Its so cohesive that you get a stringy "web" of stuff between the rotating gears when the lathe is running. I used to use grease, but it squishes away from the contact surfaces and will not run back where it needs to be to do the job. Now I just drip a drop or two of the Lucas stuff on the gears now and then when I have the gear train engaged. I intend to install an oil cup and copper drip tube that will let me do this without removing the end cover, some day.

Paul

Carld
08-29-2007, 01:30 PM
Back in the 70's when I worked at a Cummins distributor many mechanics used straight STP or 50/50 oil and STP on the main and rod bearings when rebuilding an engine. It worked on engines that were going to be used right away. On engines that were built with STP or the oil mix and not ran right away when the engine was started up they often spun the bearings. Cummins found the STP sets up over time and locked the crank to the bearings.

They told the distributors and dealers to not use STP to build engines and use only engine oil or white Lubriplate grease for the rebuild.

Just a little tid bit for you to think about.