PDA

View Full Version : How well do the import bandsaws track ?

nheng
08-29-2007, 07:15 PM
If you have an imported bandsaw (HF, Grizzly, Enco, etc.), in the 6X or 7X sizes, which one and how well does the blade track a straight line thru your cuts? Den

BadDog
08-29-2007, 07:33 PM
I've got a 4x6 cheapy HF green beast, and it works fine. Not sure what you mean by "track a straight line", but yeah, it cuts pretty straight. And reasonably square once you get it dialed in. Now, if your talking about curving as it cuts, that's a different matter. With good Lynox blades and moderate down feed pressure, mine cuts well straight as I expect from a band saw (it's not a surface grinder or mill after all). But running cheap blades, without proper/consistent "set", OR with too much feed pressure, and it will tend to cut an arc to varying degrees.

nheng
08-29-2007, 08:59 PM
Yes, a poor choice of words on my part. Too hasty to do something other than work :)

I am interested in how well they track on their wheels but also how straight they cut. I'v got an old Craftsman (4X ??) that cuts but in spite of my best efforts at proper tensioning, setting up the guides, feed, etc. it can't cut a straight line. Some extra capacity would come in handy about every 10 cuts or so.

PHiers
08-29-2007, 09:19 PM
I have this saw from Grizzly. Mine is about 3 years old now. It cuts real straight, I was surprised by how well it does. I used to have an Atlas (probably the same as your Craftsman) that I bought new, it never did track right. :confused:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G9742

Carld
08-29-2007, 09:27 PM
It depends on how good you are at setting up a band saw. Most if not all band saws have adjustable blade guides. If you want it to keep cutting straight you will have to learn how to adjust it.

wmgeorge
08-29-2007, 09:28 PM
Try a better brand of blade. I was using the $8.95 ones from Menards, they had a short life and was hard to cut a straight line most of the time. Went to Lenox bi-metal blades, paid $23 each, but its been maybe two years on that same blade... cuts straight.

Yes, a poor choice of words on my part. Too hasty to do something other than work :)

I am interested in how well they track on their wheels but also how straight they cut. I'v got an old Craftsman (4X ??) that cuts but in spite of my best efforts at proper tensioning, setting up the guides, feed, etc. it can't cut a straight line. Some extra capacity would come in handy about every 10 cuts or so.

J.Ramsey
08-29-2007, 09:38 PM
I have a ENCO 7x12, purchased it two years ago to replace the early '60s 6x10 Kalamazoo,after tossing the oem blade and tramming the blade guides it will cut 6"od Aluminum or steel within .005.
I use Morse 6x10 vari. pitch Bi-metal blades.
My saw also says Made in Taiwan if that makes any difference.

JRouche
08-29-2007, 09:51 PM
I have a Acra UE-712 and love it. Had the small HF 4" saw that served me alright for a few years but could never get a straight slice out of it. This saw I have now cuts great. http://www.acramachinery.com/Manual_Machines/UE712.htm

I will also mirror what others have said, get a good blade and you will be very happy. I use Starrett Powerband blades and recommend them.. http://catalog.starrett.com/catalog/catalog/groupf.asp?GroupID=536

JRouche

justforfun
08-29-2007, 10:10 PM
Hello, sorry to not know what 6X or 7X sizes mean.

I can tell you what I have and have used.

I have used TANNEWITZ wood and metal cutting saws. Some costing $100,000.00 USD. Some would not cut an exceptionable part from the factory.

Once set up and running they worked for years. There in lays the issue, set up.

I purchased a 14"-105" blade band saw from a local Menards. Paid about $150.00 USD for it. It was a poor cutting saw until I set it up and used the blades that were needed for the job I wanted to accomplish.

I have used that saw, now for 10 years.

I guess what I am trying to say is, they all seem to work if set up correctly.

This is my hobby, not always but now. Do not be concerned with trying some things and remembering the out come.

All the fun of getting what you need, when you need to get it. :D

Roy

J Harp
08-30-2007, 12:18 AM
Proper setup or alignment has been mentioned. Could someone give a rundown on the way to go about lining up the guides etc. or maybe post a link where a manual can be downloaded? I'm currently working on a Rong Fu 4 by 6, and could use some guidance on proper setup.

Evan
08-30-2007, 12:31 AM
My Craftex 4x6 cuts very straight. It came that way out of the box. The only time I have had problems is when the blade has wear on one side more than the other. It will also mistrack if cutting a part that is very tapered so that on one side of the blade it is thicker than the other but that is to be expected.

These are cutoffs produced recently.

http://vts.bc.ca/pics2/bandsawcut.jpg

Steve Steven
08-30-2007, 08:42 PM
I have a VERY old (bought about 1984 or so) 4X6 saw made in Tiawan. About 5 years ago I was having a lot of trouble with crooked cuts, finally figured out it was the roller bearings that were the blade guides, they were very worn. Bought 6 new bearings and it now cuts fine.

Steve