X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nheng
    • Jun 2002

Multiple home shops, too many hobbies ?

Do any of you suffer from the problem of too many home shops (or areas) (i.e. metal, wood, electronics and more) and try to split your scarce hours to get some joy out of each ?
  • ckelloug
    • Mar 2007

I think that the horrible affliction that you describe is the thread that binds the "us" on this board.

Between trying to build my metal shop, making my own cabinets for the house, remodeling, and working on epoxy granite formulations along with my day job, I'm not sure where I find the time to do any of it.

Comment

• tattoomike68

too many hobbies ? No way!!!

I have a garden , it makes food for next to nothing all summer.

Model engines, Im on my 3rd one, its going to run so no worries there.

Wood, I like to do some wood work and thats easy stuff. -/+ .015" is way mellow. I love to run a sanding block and round my parts off just how I like them. Hand crafted parts look the best to me.

Webmaster, no problem, I do just the tech work and have other admins to be police. I can do PHP code and java script that makes a web site kick ass.

I am learning electronics and mainly want to de-rust metal and electroplate.

I also want a small aluminum / brass foundry. Im working on that.

When I quit doing that stuff I will turn up my toes and die.
      Last edited by Guest; 08-29-2007, 09:24 PM.

Comment

• justforfun
        • Aug 2007

IMHO, I think I have more hobbies than I can handle, only when 12 months has gone by without progress on any one project.

OK, another gage is, when I run out of money and or time or storage space to avidly follow the hobbies I want.

OK, hobbies are hobbies, need I say more.

Roy

Comment

• john hobdeclipe
          • Jun 2005

I have precisely the right number of hobbies and interests...I just don't have enough TIME.

Comment

• Doc Nickel
            • Mar 2003

Yep. Jack of al trades, master of none.

I have a decent machine shop, a largish auto shop, a fair number of woodworking tools, a growing supply of blacksmithing hardware, an extensive photography setup, a considerable artist's studio (pencil/ink, paint, computer) a pretty nice taxidermy setup, plus all the horse tack and hunting gear...

Time is, indeed, an issue.

Doc.
            Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

• J Tiers
              • Jan 2004

I think I am up to about 9 hobbies. A friend and I were comparing notes, he had at least 8, many of which were languishing, that's why I counted them up.

I can assure you that 9 is too many.
              CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
              Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
              Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
              I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
              Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

• justforfun
                • Aug 2007

Sorry, never learned to count up to nine.

I lost count at $8,000,000.00 USD spent on my interests/hobbies.

Hobbies are that, hobbies, let the staff count the money. If you have to keep count, do not call it a hobby. LOL

Roy

Originally posted by J Tiers
                I think I am up to about 9 hobbies. A friend and I were comparing notes, he had at least 8, many of which were languishing, that's why I counted them up.

I can assure you that 9 is too many.

Comment

• hornluv
                  • Oct 2002

justforfun wrote:

"I lost count at $8,000,000.00 USD spent on my interests/hobbies."

Hi Roy,

Would you be interested in spending a million or so on mine?

Stuart
                  Stuart de Haro

Comment

• justforfun
                    • Aug 2007

Maybe, submit your request to, IDONOTCARE.com

What I have and or have not done does not effect anything that you may or may not do.

It all depends on, OK so it does not depend, but maybe it does.

Roy

Originally posted by hornluv
                    justforfun wrote:

"I lost count at $8,000,000.00 USD spent on my interests/hobbies."

Hi Roy,

Would you be interested in spending a million or so on mine?

Stuart

Comment

• TECHSHOP
                      • Jan 2006

Simplicity?

In the metal shop I make t'ings for the wood shop.
                      In the wood shop I make t'ings for the metal shop.

Between the two, I "waste" most of my time and money aquiring new t'ings that I "really needed" (and according to SWMBO will never use again) on the last project.

I think I spotted the welder when I spent about 2 hours looking for a 18 foot piece of Hickory, that I knew I had "somewhere" to use as a "rub rail" on a work(shelf)bench near the heat treatment area (fireplace) before I clutter the bench with uncompleted projects (again).

The new stand for the 4x6 bandsaw is almost to the point that I can use it to cut the steel for the lathe bench and vert mill stand. Seems that some projects never end, just sit there waiting for more time or money.
                      Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."

Comment

• old-biker-uk
                        • Mar 2006

Here's a few of mine.
                        This does not include the 'normal' workshop stuff like models & tool making or the bikes, garden, feeble attempts at Bonsai and my job as unpaid Church Warden's Odd Job Man.

Mark
                        What you say & what people hear is not always the same thing.
                        www.remark.me.uk

Comment

• Davek0974
                          • Aug 2007

I tend to be a one track hobbyist, its all or nothing.

I am now heavily into engineering, previously photography, tesla coils, electronics, rc cars, rc helicopters, biking, it goes on and on.

I hate to think of how much i have spent over the last 30 years on hobbies!
                          If it does'nt fit, hit it.
                          https://ddmetalproducts.co.uk
                          http://www.davekearley.co.uk

Comment

• Evan
                            • May 2003

I susbscribe to a couple of bumper sticker ideals:

One can never have too many toys!

He who dies with the most toys wins!

My hobbies include astronomy, astrophysics, languages, metal fabrication, machining, jewelry making, model making, electronics, computer programming and nearly anything at all related to computers, stained glass, photography, graphics design, wilderness canoeing (kaput hobby now), web page design and hosting and a fascination with anything that has an excess of lights and knobs on it.

As it says in my profile, my interests are "Anything except proctology".

I forgot to mention formal shop areas. Machine shop, fabrication shop, computer room/library, electronics shop and a semi-grinding shop. I didn't get a chance to set up an aluminum foundry as I had planned this year. Maybe Next Year. I also never got the anodizing line set up.
                            Last edited by Evan; 08-30-2007, 07:37 AM.
                            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

• Your Old Dog
                              • Dec 2004

I've been through several interest myself. Reads something like fishing, varmint hunting, fly tying, gun engraving, knife making, motorcycling, cabinet/furniture maker, machining, ATV'ing and photography. The last two are on hold until my ankle is more trustworthy. The others are pretty much retired hobbies over the years.

I think back on how accomplished and further ahead I could have been had I stayed with only one hobby. But then I come to my senses and realize these varying interest sort of define who I am.
                              - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                              Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Working...
                              X