PDA

View Full Version : Scored a new to me lathe off Craigslist.

gundog
08-31-2007, 06:34 PM
I bought a used Jet GHB1340 yesterday from a widow. The guys good friend and fellow antique engine builder was there to help run the sale for the widow. This machine was bought used a few years ago and is in unused condition except for a layer of oil from use. Everything is as tight as can be and the widows husband was the original owner they showed me the receipt for $3450. Their asking price was $1500 and I payed it with no dickering. There is a nice Aloris type tool holder lots of bits and carbide inserts. The backing plate and 4 jaw chuck don't look like they were ever installed. I was able to run it and everything seems to work good and it was not noisy at all.

I still have my SB 10K I am going to set this one up next to it for a while if I find I have use for both of them I will keep them both but I may pedal the SB later if I don't. The SB works fine but the through hole on the spindle is too small for a machine operation I have been paying someone else to do for me so when I spotted this one I jumped on it. I figure in this area that was a good price.

I want to raise it up higher like I did my SB so I am going to make a base for the stand and I have some rubber equipment feet to put under it. Will this work good for a lathe this size or does it really need to be bolted to the floor? I also need to rent beg or borrow a machine level to level it and the SB because I had to move the SB over a little to make room.
Mike

A.K. Boomer
08-31-2007, 06:39 PM
Sounds like a great deal, very respectful to just give them the loot, Im very happy with my Jet mill now that I have all the bugs worked out of it, I'll bet you find the same with the lathe...

Alistair Hosie
08-31-2007, 06:39 PM
good for you Gun Dog well done .It's sad when you have to deal with the articles from someone who has died, but you did the honourably thing and paid her what she asked good for you. You seem like a decent type of guy good luck with your new purchase regardsAlistair

gundog
08-31-2007, 06:53 PM
Thanks guys but I felt like it was a good deal she probably could have gotten more for it. I paid the asking price but she probably could have gotten $500 more for it I kinda felt guilty for paying that.
Mike

speedsport
08-31-2007, 07:19 PM
but not guilty enough to fork over some more bux.

Mike Burdick
08-31-2007, 07:29 PM
Well...how about some pictures?:)

gundog
08-31-2007, 08:01 PM
but not guilty enough to fork over some more bux.

I personally would not have paid more for a used import but I think someone else might have they had a lot of calls after mine. I was just the first and bought it on site. I will try and get some pictures and post them I am at work right now don't tell my boss.
Mike

bhjones
08-31-2007, 10:05 PM
I'd like to see some pictures of this. I've recently added a Sheldon to the shop and it seems very short to me. I think three to four inches should to it.

I want to raise it up higher like I did my SB so I am going to make a base for the stand and I have some rubber equipment feet to put under it. Will this work good for a lathe this size or does it really need to be bolted to the floor? I also need to rent beg or borrow a machine level to level it and the SB because I had to move the SB over a little to make room.
Mike

johnc
09-01-2007, 04:44 PM
When I wanted to raise my Super 11 about 5" I poured some concrete bases and set each end of the stand on them. What was really nice was that I could compensate for the slope on the floor by adjusting the height/top angle of the forms. I also put a rubber-backed mat under the forms before pouring to help prevent any sideways movement. I haven't had any problem so far but am only turning small items.

snowman
09-01-2007, 04:49 PM
what you paid is average price for used import, dont feel too guilty

Alistair Hosie
09-01-2007, 07:17 PM
Don't feel bad buddy you didn't haggle with her thats probably now what most would have done so you did ok in my book regardsAlistair