PDA

View Full Version : sherline products

Ed Tipton
08-31-2007, 06:34 PM
There is an auction tomorrow morning where there are two sherline lathes (both the short and long bed versions), a Sherline mill, a whole box full of accessories, spare motors, spare bed, 10 stepper motors a whole organizer full of tooling and cutters, spare "lead screw rods", lots of steel, you get the idea. I am interested in one of the lathes, the mill, and the accessories and organizer. All items appear to be in either new or like new condition. Looking on the net revealled that a comparable package purchased new is $2280.00 (minus all the cutters and tooling. Can anyone provide me with a ballpark value of these items, given that there is no warranty, manuals, etc. Obviously I would expect the total to be considerably less than new cost, but there is still real value here. I don't want to pass up on a "one time good deal", but then again, I don't want to pay too much either. I've been to enough auctions that I know there is no way to predict what an item might bring, but any info relating to the actual value of these items would be appreciated.
I don't know if the Sherline products hold their value well or not, but they do seem to be well supported looking at their web site. Thx for the replies.

bob_s
08-31-2007, 11:04 PM
Ed:

Keep in mind that the prices you find will be full retail value. The dealer mark-up will most likely be 2x-3x the dealer price. My absolute max bid would be between $700 to $1000.

Best of luck at the auction!

Nick Carter
09-01-2007, 01:46 AM
If only the margins in benchtop machines were really that good...the margin is much slimmer than that...1/4x is more usual...

Ed:
Keep in mind that the prices you find will be full retail value. The dealer mark-up will most likely be 2x-3x the dealer price. My absolute max bid would be between $700 to $1000.

Best of luck at the auction!