PDA

View Full Version : Rockrats garage

rockrat
09-01-2007, 09:07 AM
Well, its been a long summer. I have been lurking around here when I get time but I never seem to have time to post.... Till today

The garage is about done. I need to get the backfill up around the foundation then I can call for the final inspection.

I had to sink the electric into the yard because it was about 1' above the garage roof. I didnt think that they would let me get away with that. Turns out that a bit of reading in the NEC and a call to the inspectors office gave me all the info needed. But what a weekend that was. Rent the trencher, dig, drop wire, run it up the pole etc.

Anyhow, its off to get a tool at the hardware store and then into the dirt again. Darn truck developed an exaust leak and I have to take the headder off to fix rusted off flange bolts. It looks like Ford is back to using junk steel again in its products. I have headders from the 60's up to about 80 that look great. This one was built in 98 and the cast headders look like crap. All of the bolts have turned into little stalactites. So now the whole thing has to come off to be repaired. grrrrrrrrrr

As for the garage... Here is how it looks so far.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/katiecat222/garage/th_DSCN2163.jpg (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/katiecat222/garage/DSCN2163.jpg)

Hope to get the drive down soon and start moving equipment.
More to come.

Cheers
rock-

Carld
09-01-2007, 09:13 AM
Looks nice and it's laid out similar to mine, or so it seems.

Your Old Dog
09-01-2007, 09:15 AM
So that's where you been hiding! Looks like you're making some progress now. Looks like you got most of the hard stuff done. Good luck

Evan
09-01-2007, 10:28 AM
That looks real nice. Sorry but I couldn't resist enlarging it for you. :D

http://vts.bc.ca/pics2/rrgarage.jpg

Alistair Hosie
09-01-2007, 07:32 PM
Evan is that how you trapped your missus?:DAlistair

sasquatch
09-01-2007, 10:26 PM
Great shop!! & good one Alistair!!!!:p

Ray in N. Ont.

john hobdeclipe
09-01-2007, 10:58 PM
Rockrat,

Nice looking shop. Hope you can get moved in and get it filled up soon.

Evan,

I get several emails a day offering to enlarge sundry things, but never an offer to enlarge my shop. How much do you charge to enlarge shops? I'm sure Rockrat already appreciates the extra space.

TECHSHOP
09-01-2007, 11:04 PM
rockrat:

Looks like you'll have plenty of space to sip that wine now!

Evan
09-02-2007, 12:02 AM
As I said, I couldn't resist. It isn't often that you see a photo that lends itself so easily to manipulation as that one.

Alguy
09-02-2007, 01:51 AM
Good job Rockrat,, i did similar garage about 7 years ago, consider getting a ceiling and wall insulation in before moving stuff in, i did not :rolleyes:
We have same climate and heat likes to go out the roof, I did get an insulated ceiling in a couple years after I had been using it (filled it up with tools and projects ) it took me alot of extra work to put in the ceiling in after it was occupied. The walls are still uninsulated:mad:

Evan
09-02-2007, 10:17 AM
The walls are still uninsulated

I built our garage (converted a carport) over 20 years ago. I finished insulating the walls this year. Still have to do the ceiling....

rockrat
09-02-2007, 10:26 AM
Oh Evan, dont let the tax man see that. Jeeeze... they will be killing me as it is without the extra doors and length.

What is cool about the whole thing is I was able to have it built up near and slightly behind a row of trees. These trees hide the building well. All one realy sees as they drive past is the double garage doors.

Insulation? Oh yea. And after the roof was on and I noticed the heat up near the rafters, some end vent fans will get installed as well. Wow was it hot. I was up in the rafter area installing some vents for future use and found myself soaking wet from the sweat. I might have made a nice sauna.

As for the heat in the fall and winter, I have installed radiant floor heat tubing. Also, my father has offered an old woodburning stove that may get a place in the middle of the building.

Thanks all, will put some time-lapse photos together at some point that show the process. Just something to eat up space on the web! :D