PDA

View Full Version : FUN, painted to match, pocket bike and ZX11

Dawai
09-01-2007, 04:27 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/ibewgypsie/zx11_frontFender.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/ibewgypsie/ZX11-pocketbike.jpg

My second paintjob with the true fire technique, my style. I like the flowing instead of the pockets Mike Lavalee does.

The small fairing is for a pocket bike I had gave to me, the larger is for my Kawasaki ZX11 (the one that is supposed to cure my Hayabusa craving)

Maybe I'll paint the bridgeport to match later. THE pocket bike will be fun to ride around events. I am putting a slightly larger engine on the frame.

Used: House of Kolor true fire kit ($35 off ebay) and UC35 HOK clear coat with micro rainbow metalflake. Iwata Eclipse air brush and Devibiliss Finish line 3 HVLP rig. Airbrush set for 60psi, hvlp set to 26psi. It took about a pint of clear (3 coats) and about 1/4th of the true fire airbrush paint set. I estimate about $25-30 in materiels. Yeah, that is passion purple in there..

IOWOLF
09-01-2007, 05:46 PM
And I thought it was Plum Crazy,in there.

J.Ramsey
09-01-2007, 06:01 PM
A 'Busa in any color is a definite cure for the ZX11:D

Your Old Dog
09-01-2007, 06:26 PM
Nice to see you feeling good enough to get busy David. Project looks good.

Dawai
09-01-2007, 06:31 PM
Someone asked me what was under the blankets,
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/ibewgypsie/DSCN0180.jpg
No Wolfie: Buying this 91 crx was plum crazy.. I got it to put the 2005 civic engine into, but then went to Florida and got a acura LS engine and 5 speed.
I weigh 300lbs, the roll cage angle bars on each door, I can take the targa roof out to jump across, but can't get into the car with the top in it.

I am signed up to buy insurance cars and looking for a 2005 hit in front, I got a yard full right now, and a shop full. If I ever get caught up, I might get bored.

tattoomike68
09-01-2007, 06:58 PM
That paint job looks sweet, I like your style of flame work.

speedsport
09-01-2007, 09:37 PM
what the hell is that contraption behind the CRX?

sasquatch
09-01-2007, 10:22 PM
Dave i like it!!! Great blending!! COOL!!!!!!

Ray in N. Ont.

Dawai
09-01-2007, 10:45 PM
Speedsport:

That is another pocket bike with extended swingarm. I got the body and fairing on the zx11 and the pocketbike, too dark for photos.

The kawasaki laid on it's side in a friends yard for a year. I got the engine running but it has a water pump problem underneath. not looked into that yet.

The sideshaft briggs engine is too tall for the pocketbike. I am hunting something else now.

I gave that second pocketbike to Mike, I'll park it next to the ewheel I gave him about six months ago, still in my yard.

deth502
09-02-2007, 12:14 AM
flames look great!!!

should have kept the cover on that crx though!! :D

Mad Scientist
09-02-2007, 12:57 AM
Nice job!

Maybe I'll paint the bridgeport to match later.

Now that is something I would definitely want to see. :cool:

Dawai
09-02-2007, 01:39 AM
should have kept the cover on that crx though!! <end quote?>

Never made the cover, just a feature car...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/ibewgypsie/DSCN0185.jpg
It has had a lot of changes since then, all the good stuff pulled off. The big hp engine broke the frame and I gotta reweld it. The B20 engine blowed, I got a B16 for it. Front air dam is gone as is several other parts in the photo shoot. I'd like to find the original builder of the car, it has a lot of work in it. Too much for a kid, probably some old fart like me.

speedsport
09-02-2007, 02:33 PM
David, you have to be at least 60 years old to be classified as a "Old Fart", don't try to hurry it up, comes too soon as it is.

Dawai
09-02-2007, 05:12 PM
Yard art?? It still don't run.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/ibewgypsie/DSCN0438.jpg
We stuck these spare parts together, first fit up.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/ibewgypsie/DSCN0440.jpg

Speedsport, I sure am feeling sixty. I got enough enjoyment this morning on my 3 hour ride to relax me for a nap thou. Loving that Roadking. Nothing has ever been as comfortable to ride.
I did get some of the Slide to a stop Yard Sale activity, then got tailgated by a kid with $500 car *nothing runs stopsigns as fast as a 500 car.. then.. I was looking at this lil girls behind and almost rear ended a car. Ahh hell all in fun?

deth502
09-02-2007, 07:21 PM
nice!:cool: , i suppose that'll give you the motivation to get it running now!!!!

are you planning on doing the tank + rr fender too?

plastikosmd
09-02-2007, 08:05 PM
i'd probably pay for a pic of you on that pocket..just for the laugh

scott

Dawai
09-02-2007, 09:44 PM
Scott:

It's not the highest on the priority. BUT> I will post a picture when I get it running. The motor/clutch I had been saving for a minibike is too tall. It is a vertical engine I need a horizontal one, hopefully a small jap motor with trans.

OUR Union President Chattanooga Ibew, well.. He weighs about 370 and is a good bit taller than my 6'1" I offered to buy him one of the trick bicycles if I could get a picture of him on it. You know the ones with the 4" tires?

JRouche
09-02-2007, 11:29 PM
Hey Dave, ya did a good job on the flames.

I would also pay a lil cash to see you ride the pocket rocket.

Ya got a paypal account. Im in for five bucks. Get enough donations ya may be able to fund the PR project.. JRouche

Oh, it has to be a youtube video too, I want action shots!!!

plastikosmd
09-03-2007, 01:23 AM
all that i ask is a pic from the front or the side..that will do...no plumber shot...:)

Dawai
09-03-2007, 07:40 AM
Deth:

I have thought of spraying bedliner on the gas tank. IT has been stood on. THE gas cap is messed up along with a rusty hole in the bottom of it from sitting. A gas filler neck is $170 from my supplier, I found a radiator supply in California where they are less than $20. I may rig up a bead roller to fit the lathe and make some. The black tail section was supposed to blend into the black paint, but the HOK clear, kicks a lot brighter than the factory shine.

The bike is a thrill bike, not worth a lot of money, not worth a lot of effort. THOU in a few years?? We had a nice 70's LTD KZ1000 I could not get $1500 for. I think Bobby finally traded it for something. I got my mechanic money in burnouts out of it. The swing arm bushings were so shot, it'd turn during accel. There is ounces of Adrenalin in that first 50 feet.

I get nervous about welding up a gas tank that has been used. A jeep tank, years ago blowed up three times while I was patching a hole. ALL the caved in dents in the bottom were blowed out.. Perhaps a neat way to straighten up the "stood" on dents on top of the tank? I had hooked a exhaust pipe on a car to it, thinking the carbon Monoxide would keep the thing from popping. Argon purge is the best.

steverice
09-03-2007, 04:19 PM
That looks more like an 86 ZX1000-A1

Dawai
09-03-2007, 05:16 PM
It sure ain't no roadking..

I think it is a 89 or 90 model, Was told it was a zx11, I know american bikes, even thou I started out on the japanese 750-4s..

I never checked the frame numbers or engine. (I know the guy real well I got it from) It has parts off three different bikes on it's fairing, the center section was made partially with bondo. When it comes back off. I'll probably reinforce it with some tube and more fiberglass. It was a bag of splinters at one time.

That is, if it cranks and runs okay when I repair the tank.. if not, it's yard art till someone needs parts. (something else to mow around?) I watched "Talledage nights" last night, I kinda understood when the kid was hollering over and over, "I just wanna go fast".. I've been down to look at the Haybusa's now three times, once with money. I think it is just a phase, thou I am not sure yet. The Harley is neat, rides real smooth, but I am jealous of the guys doing a wheelie at 80+... (no this kawa will not do that) Perhaps some burnout time? It's cheap and relative worthless.

IOWOLF
09-03-2007, 06:05 PM
David, I have a good set of stock exhaust pipes for a ZX11 they ought to be worth $50 plus shipping.If interested.

Dawai
09-03-2007, 06:12 PM
If you got a pile of gas tanks we can cut the cap and filler out of I am interested.

I got one tank rolled out on the english wheel, THIS one is fu-bar'ed on the top.

Perhaps I can find the place in California that sells them.. it was a radiator shop.

IOWOLF
09-03-2007, 06:18 PM
I have a harley tank thats beat to piss, the guy said there was a 12 v fuel pump in there, and it was free.

Dawai
09-03-2007, 07:45 PM
IO:

that fuel pump I bet is pricy.. check ebay. A ecm computer for a 2001 is $1200, aftermarket is $850 but has USB port. It has a big oval port in the middle of the tank to access it.

I'd appreciate the filler neck if you can figure a way to get a hunk out without getting french fried. I have found them for $29.50 in California. Screw in HD cap style.

That might make this KAWA run backwards???? I had a yamaha ring ding I was playing with the timing on, it did.. as good in reverse as forward was..

IOWOLF
09-03-2007, 08:03 PM
Are you in a hurry for it?

Dawai
09-03-2007, 09:59 PM
hmm.. motorcycle is running great, summer weather, I got about twenty things going in the shop.. No hurry..

THE Midwest catalog lists a filler bung for $55.. there is gas tanks there almost that cheap, I gave $80 for the set of flat back fatbobs and it had two, one left thread one right.

I wonder how they form them? anybody got a clue? I'd think of a tap and die arrangement >>??

steverice
09-04-2007, 12:46 AM
In 88 kawasaki went with the ZX10, the first bike to have down draft carburators and aluminum parimeter frame.

The motor in your bike is basically the same motor that was used in the Concours for 20 sumthin years with only a camshaft change and the addition of a drive shaft.

Dawai
09-04-2007, 09:56 AM
Running the numbers? It came back with a 1985 zx1000 (somebody hit that on the head)... and that changes things quite a bit, with all kinds of unseen consequences. I got the front brakes up, the back ones and hyd clutch won't pump up yet. I got a trick.. I got a vacuum pump that used to work with air conditioners. It'll draw a air bubble 20 feet and leave the fluid.

I posted a ad on Craigslist, got more responses from kids wanting their bikes painted than over the old kawa.

There is about twenty siezed and or wrecked haybusa's in the insurance yards locally. three or four would make one a aggressive man could not run out of parts for a few months.

A.K. Boomer
09-04-2007, 10:17 AM
Flames look good Dave, exactly the way i would imagine them on an object that was re-entering the atmosphere:p

I really like your CRX, had two, brings back memories, how I still have a drivers license is beyond my comprehension, I was almost always in the tripple digits and never got caught...

jr45acp
09-04-2007, 02:24 PM
David, in the pic you posted on like the second page, what HD is that is the background on the right? Looks like a shovel head to me.

Dawai
09-04-2007, 06:02 PM
Thought you was up north of me JR45...

That is my brothers evo softail, he is painting here. His first Harley, he is taking all the pains from spray on bondo to his special kind of anal retentive worry about everything, *can you tell he is my brother by that statement?

Conditions here to paint are primitive to say the least, I got fender stands, he told me they are not good enough, he wants to hang them up to do the bottom sides. It bugs the heck out of me with them swinging.

He's a good brother, when he was about four we used him for a squirrel dog, he'd run around the tree to make the squirrel stick his head around our side so we'd get a shot and something to eat. He still has fond memories of Squirrel dumplings, we had to sift the bugs out of the flour to make them. He had a rough time, I ran off and left him with a mean drunk stepfather, then he went to desert storm and worked till he passed out on shift. Good mechanics get used up.

House of Kolor paint is the most forgiving of any paint you can use.. you can have mosquitos in it, leave them there, sand out thier lil feet.. don't you dare try to fish him out cause your piggies are bigger than his feet. The neighbor, he started mowing once while I was shooting clearcoat.. I was so mad, it's harder to sand out grass clippings.

jr45acp
09-05-2007, 09:44 AM
Naw David, I've been down here close to the swamps close to 20 years now. Your brother seems to have adopted you "quality" when it comes to doing a job right. Nice looking sled. I've wanted to get another one, but......... if I did, I know it would end up killing me or, at a minimum, hurting me real bad. Had my day, rode lot's of miles, plus the other insanity that went along with that lifestyle, but these days, I just remember them and when ever a scooter goes by the house my heart pumps a tad faster.

Dawai
09-13-2007, 06:57 PM
http://bbssystem.com/files/thumbs/t_dscn0448_988.jpg

This is scarlett red over black primer, took the whole quart to cover it. House of Kolor KBC19 over Kirker black epoxy primer, added in Rainbow metalflake in first coat. Gun setting 26psi, Devibiliss Finish Line 3 HVLP. ($100 gun) Looks burnt orange to me in the sunlight. I have looked at it so much I see spots.

Clearcoat tip? just as soon as the edge stops pulling stringers when you touch it? Like hot bubble gum? shoot another coat, they all bond, shoot it wet, good paint lays down and smoothes itself.

I got near $100 in this paintjob. Not real happy with the way it turned out offshade, but it is on a bike that is for sale and color does not matter as much as shiny does.

http://bbssystem.com/files/thumbs/t_3wheel1_mustang01_112.jpg this was all junk bottom of the cans mixed together, turned out better huh?