PDA

View Full Version : Delta wet sharpener bumpy wheel

atty
09-02-2007, 11:06 PM
I've done some researching, but I've not come close to the answer, so if I've missed some prior posts, I apologize.

I have had a Delta 23-700 wet grinder for about a year and have dressed the wheel about three times, but still have the same problem. I'll get it nice and flat, then as soon as the water soaks into it, I get a washboard pattern of bumps. Doesn't seem to matter whether I dress it dry or wet. The wheel is the stock aluminum oxide white version. One of my "experts" has suggested that maybe I have a faulty wheel. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Mike Burdick
09-03-2007, 02:59 AM
Atty,

Sounds very odd to me! Have you tried contacting Delta? If not, here is their USA technical assistance phone number: USA (800) 223-7278

Hopefully they'll send you a new wheel free of charge.

Please let us know what happens and/or what they tell you.

http://www.deltaportercable.com/AboutUs/ContactUs.aspx

Thanks...

atty
09-03-2007, 03:56 AM
Thanks, Mike. That was going to be my next move on Tuesday after the holiday. Just hoping maybe someone here might be able to give me a little ammunition with past experiences. I thoroughly dread the customer service "It can't possibly be our fault" gauntlet.

nheng
09-03-2007, 11:53 AM
Atty, I've had the same model for a number of years. It was made in Taiwan and so was the 10" wheel. Unlike many of the internet reviews that indicate a poorly finished (sanded) table for the large wheel, this one is nicely machined and flat. It's only been used about a dozen times but the wheel runs true and the surface is consistent.

It has always been drained immediately after use. Sounds like your wheel may have soft or hard spots that are either wearing down fast or not dressing down. Just curious, what's the country of origin?

atty
09-03-2007, 03:55 PM
The wheel, at least, is the Taiwan model, and like you, I have no complaints at all with the appearance of the wheel once it is dressed. While I don't immediately drain it after every use, out here in Arizona the rate of evaporation takes care of that in short order. I'm just wondering if there is a possibility of some type of impurity in the wheel causing the washboard patterns between the drying and wetting cycles.

miker
09-03-2007, 05:51 PM
atty, what are you dressing the Wheel with? A Diamond, or the "Delta Dressing Stone"? Don't know if it makes a difference! Customer Service may ask the same question.

Rgds

atty
09-03-2007, 06:25 PM
I've just used a dressing stone so far. That wheel is so incredibly soft, I'm not sure a diamond dresser is really needed. I could see if you're not careful, you could cut some pretty serious gouges in a hurry.

miker
09-03-2007, 06:53 PM
Sounds like you are doing everything right.
Please let us know the outcome.

Good luck.

Rgds

atty
09-03-2007, 10:20 PM
Thanks, Miker. I just tried another "wet" dress, and I can see the washboard forming on that half of the wheel that has been out of the water for a few hours. Looks like I still have the gremlins. We'll see what wisdom Delta has in stock and post the results. I appreciate all of the comments.

atty
09-04-2007, 01:47 PM
Well folks, I guess I'll have to give 5 gold stars to Delta's customer service. The rep. had never heard of the problem, but he polled the other techs, and they came up empty as well. With no questions asked, he informed me that they were immediately sending out a new wheel with the hopes that would solve my problem. I guess, short of finding someone who has seen the problem before, you can't get much better service than that. Thumbs up for Delta!!

:) :)

miker
09-04-2007, 07:03 PM
That's great atty, do let us know how the new wheel performs when you dress it.

rgds

Mike Burdick
09-04-2007, 09:01 PM
Atty,

Thanks for posting about Delta's service! That's the way companies are supposed to handle problems.

Thanks for keeping us informed.