PDA

View Full Version : New Tool For Shop How To Use

cybor462
09-03-2007, 05:55 PM
:eek: Got a new shop tool
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/cybor462/harley.jpg
So my wife says how will that help you make more stuff to earn more money?
So I said "well I guess I can hook a belt to it and run a generator, or I can use the exhaust to pressurize a small tank and use it to paint with, or maybe even a shop heater in the winter. After reading another post here I think I could make this a can crusher also.

She said that can be all that?
I said Sure it can. :rolleyes:
She proceeded to throw a pan at me and told me to ride that HOG as I won't be riding anything else for awhile!:eek:

IOWOLF
09-03-2007, 06:14 PM
I would have said at least IT moves.

Your Old Dog
09-03-2007, 06:44 PM

You single ? :D

IOWOLF
09-03-2007, 06:51 PM
LOL, no, Mine moves. :)

Yankee1
09-04-2007, 03:15 AM
Hi Cybor,

1. Way less carbon emissions ( I"m thinking Green)
2. much more economical to run errands for shop (saves money, Less fuel)
3. Save wear and tear on family car. (Car lasts longer)
4. Moves through heavy traffic easily. (saves time, time is money)
5. Do you realize how many miles per gallon this gets compared to the truck I was thinking about?
6. With the price of fuel now days I was just about forced into this.
7. Now we have a extra vehicle if anything unforeseen should suddenly happen to our primary vehicle.
8. I'm thinking savings by having a vehicle that provides such an increase in fuel savings.
Hows that for openers.
Chuck

HTRN
09-04-2007, 05:43 AM

It also has better depreciation.:D

HTRN

Evan
09-04-2007, 09:24 AM
Build her a new deck.

rbregn
09-04-2007, 09:33 AM
Mine saved me a bunch of money per mile on gas until My wife decided she wanted her own. Now it cost the same as the car on trips! But the view is still better!

cybor462
09-04-2007, 10:00 AM
Actually this did not cost me anymore, as I traded my 05 Honda 1100 in for this and the payments are exactly the same. I told her this and it is true. What I failed to mention (must have slipped my mind-old age you know) is that I will be paying on it for two years longer than the Honda. oopppsss:o

You guys are ok, after looking at some of the one liners to smooth it over I can see you all have twisted a truth here or there to keep the peace. I like some of them, I will try them some time.

iowolf... she sure moves...she moved real quick when she threw the pan. You know I have not seen her since..she must be moving so fast I cant see her:eek:

YOD you know, now that you mention it maybe that is why I have not seen her...maybe I am now single:confused:

At least I know I can trust the chrome thing.

kap pullen
09-04-2007, 11:33 AM
You don't have to tell the chrome thing "I Love You"!

It's always ready to go.

Kap

aostling
09-04-2007, 12:04 PM
For a sharp-tongued missus, it was hard to beat Hilda Ogden. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyrEy2vIwTE&mode=related&search=

Stanley Ogden worked at the gas works once, but after he got fired he spent the rest of his working life washing windows.

Mcostello
09-04-2007, 11:25 PM
Chrome thing might be nasty to ride when wet. The "other" thing might be another story...........

cybor462
09-04-2007, 11:27 PM
Chrome thing might be nasty to ride when wet. The "other" thing might be another story...........

it's all about friction!:D

Doozer
09-05-2007, 12:25 AM
By trading in the Honda, you took a step backwards in technology.

--Doozer

Willy
09-05-2007, 12:30 AM

--Doozer

Perhaps, but thirty years from now you'll still be able to buy replacement parts for the HD.

cybor462
09-05-2007, 12:42 AM
Of course the cost of those parts may make you cry.
I have to admit HD can be customized to no end.
A Honda is a Honda and a HD is a piece of Americana.

No way to get that HD lope from a Honda. Love that sound.:cool:

J.Ramsey
09-05-2007, 01:19 AM

--Doozer
I guess you have never ridden a Buell
Day before yesterday (Sunday) my older brother gave me a present,his 2000 Buell X-1 Lightning that is in show room condition.
I've had more enjoyment in six hours on the Buell than the last six years on every thing else that I have been on.
Seriously thinking about gettin rid of all my jap stuff, and I have a garage full.
Never dreamed that I would care for a H-D even if it is a cousin that the chrome plated purist despise.

BadDog
09-05-2007, 01:31 AM
Never ridden a Buell, but my impression (hear say) from others is that it is considered pretty much bottom of the barrel in "sport bikes". I'm not crazy about sport bikes anyway, but have been fighting an itch for a v-Strom for some time now...

J.Ramsey
09-05-2007, 04:03 AM
BadDog
If you're not crazy about sport bikes then why are you itchin for a V-Strom.It's nothing more than a naked bike with wider handle bars and universal tires.
Yea I know the Buell has Japanese Showa forks and shocks,Nissin brakes but it is so much more nimble in the corners than a ( ) you fill in the blank,you just put it in the corner and dial the throttle to what ever your comfortable with and away you go.
The torque is unbelievable,it's been race kitted and it dyno'd at 107 HP @6200 98ftlbs torque @ 5700 rpm at the REAR WHEEL.
The Buell maybe a bottom of the barrel to the young crotch rocket street racers but I had two Gixsr 750's(riders with more brawn than brains) that tried to follow me home last evening ,yea they pulled me from 90-100 MPH on up but they were auwstruck when we got to the twisty's and I passed them both going into two different corners one on the outside no less, when I got off my scooter in front the shop they both pulled up an said they didn't know a fifty year old man on a H-D could ever go that quick.
I invited the early twenty something riders in for a beer and conversation.

BadDog
09-05-2007, 05:18 AM
Cool story, but beyond my nerve these days. Too busted up and not too keen to add to the accumulated misery I'm paying for in my later years. :D But there was a time... ;)

As for the v-Strom, that's why I mentioned it; as an aberration for me. Part of the allure is that it's more flexible than the typical sport bike. I dearly love getting out miles and miles from civilization, seeing old (real) ghost towns and ruins, but I'm just not up to keeping several off-road trucks in fighting trim. Legs just hurt too much getting up in and under to work on and modify/fix them. Too much effort for every trip (trailering the truggy, parts and tools, etc.) and then compounded if I break something serious, so I wind up rarely going. My legs won't stand a true "off road" bike experience, and lots of the places I want to go are not "cruiser" or sport bike friendly due to the terrain (mostly just rocky dirt roads and minor washes at worst). But getting there may take an hour or two on interstates, so not too keen on the typical "dual sport" crowd of KLR650s, XR650Ls, DRZs and so on. Not really my cup of tea on the open road where I like to lay it back a bit and roll, plus I can easily imagine expeditions up into Utah or Colorado. It would also be "two up", so 650 thumpers would have a rough time of it on our 80+mph interstates, not to mention extra weight in bags. So, my interest sorta drifted into v-Strom 1100 land as a first choice, and maybe a big KTM (900?) Dakar as a close second.

Sorry for the OT, but hopefully that explains the interest...

Yow Ling
09-05-2007, 05:20 AM
Reminds me of an old saying

95% of all Harleys ever manufactured are still on the road.... the other 5% made it home.

BadDog
09-05-2007, 05:25 AM
Oh, and another thing to put it into perspective (and hopefully not too much more OT). A few years ago we took a "dream vacation" to Vienna and surrounding area. While there, I rented a Honda Africa Twin for a week and we had a BLAST touring Huerigens(?), old unrestored castle ruins in the middle of nowhere, getting lost and stumbling onto an ancient monastery in the foot hills of the alps where we were invited in for lunch and given an impromptu tour, tiny towns with cobblestone roads so small 2 motorcycles could barely pass going opposite ways. That Africa Twin, if available in the states, would be almost my ideal motorcycle. Basically a lot like the v-Strom, but with more suspension and a somewhat smaller displacement but I think about the same power in it's Euro trim vs. detuned US v-Strom.

I would be in serious trouble if I ever mess up my legs again, and that keeps me in check for now, but it does sound like great fun...

HTRN
09-05-2007, 07:10 AM
Perhaps, but thirty years from now you'll still be able to buy replacement parts for the HD.

You can at least double that - At least 1 company makes knuckehead engines, a design that HD hasn't used since 1947.... There are also companies that make "45" parts..

HTRN

Willy
09-05-2007, 08:24 AM
You can at least double that - At least 1 company makes knuckehead engines, a design that HD hasn't used since 1947.... There are also companies that make "45" parts..

HTRN

Yeah I know, I've got a shovelhead in my shop that I bought new thirty years ago, some of the transmission parts are applicable down to "36".
I'm sure I could replace any part on the bike either at the dealer or aftermarket.

I'll be the first to admit that it wasn't the most technologically advanced piece of equipment when I bought it, and it sure as hell isn't now, but I feel good riding it and that's all that really matters.

Kind of like comparing the the feeling one gets from using a fine old manual lathe or milling machine to programing a cnc machine. Each has it's place, and I'd like to have both, but for me, I'll stick with the old iron.

Willy
09-05-2007, 08:27 AM
Reminds me of an old saying

95% of all Harleys ever manufactured are still on the road.... the other 5% made it home.

Yow Ling you are probably right, but at least they aren't at the dump!:D

cybor462
09-05-2007, 08:57 AM
My son is a true sport bike freak. He has a Suzuki and wants a bigger one. After I got the HD, we rode. He normally always wanted the first in line when we rode. Now he keeps flagging me to the front.
I asked him why does he now want the back line. He said first I love that sound, then I love all that chrome, and yes I want one. He is much smaller than I am. He wants a 883 Sportster. This from a hard core sport biker.
HD has got something going on!:D

Peter N
09-05-2007, 09:14 AM
I would be in serious trouble if I ever mess up my legs again, and that keeps me in check for now, but it does sound like great fun...

I know just what you mean.
I was watching British Superbikes the other weekend, and saw Leon Camier have a very nasty crash.
Broke his leg, knee, and pelvis, and watching the crash really made my bum screw up for a good few hours - particularly the slow-motion replay.
He's out of hospital after a fair bit of surgery but won't be on a bike again until at least next season.

Theres a video of the crash just here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b7k3FILIGA

Peter