PDA

View Full Version : Alistairs very Smart & Brown, with Baby Fritz

Ragarsed Raglan
05-10-2003, 07:41 AM
Just to let all know that Alistair has now become a fully paid up member of the metal workers club. He is now, as I write this, speeding on his way back to the Bonnie Country with his haul of a 10 x 24 Smart & Brown VSL lathe, along with Baby Fritz the universal miller.

Expect to see some astonishing metalwork, judging by his efforts in wood, coming from his shop!

I've sent the pictures to Albert (Rotate) so that hopefully he may be able to put up for all to see Alistairs canny purchases!

Al Messer
05-10-2003, 04:47 PM
Bully for him!! How's your shaper repair project coming along??

mikem
05-10-2003, 07:52 PM
You left out a lot of the important details. How and where did he find it? Is it new or used? Lots of tooling? What does the new arrival weigh? What does VSL stand for? Awaiting further info on our friend's new acquistions--Mike.

SJorgensen
05-11-2003, 02:40 AM
Alistair has significant obsticals to overcome that most of us have to deal with. Space is a big one, and in his case, because of the slope of his property, getting machines into his shop. I am looking at the prospect of moving a two ton machine and I have to admit that I am somewhat intimidated. He has a lot more ability than I do, so I hope he shares his techniques and experience with us. Luckily moving a machine doesn't happen a lot if you are lucky.
Spence

Thrud
05-11-2003, 03:01 AM
mikem:
The Smart & Brown 1024VS Mark 2 Tool room lathe is the UK answer to Monarch and Hardinge - they were built without comprimise to quality of materials and fit & finish. Severe overkill at its best. Awsesome lathe. It also came with many chucks (Pratt-Bernard 4 and 3 jaw scroll camlocks, possibly a 5c collet chuck and face plates, 4 jaw independent).

Alistair waffled on it for sometime and called me several times about it. The other lathe he was considering was a Synchro (still a nice unit) in the same capacity range. Once he gets his baby cleaned up it is going to be gorgeous!

www.lathes.co.uk (http://www.lathes.co.uk) has a write up on it for the curious.

BTW, I am jealous - Alistair has quite the find and the German mill is NT30 and came with lots of tooling. Lucky bugger!

[This message has been edited by Thrud (edited 05-11-2003).]

John Stevenson
05-11-2003, 04:52 AM
Thrud,
Also take a look at the CVA lathe on the same site. This is also a high spec lathe.
Note that when they were made the taper turning attachment cost the same price as a small house in the UK at that time !
These are all one casting, no seperate base and bed.

John S.

lynnl
05-11-2003, 02:05 PM
Attaboy Alistair! Now there'll be no excuse for not keeping all 518 of those Emmert Pattern Vises in good repair! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Dave Opincarne
05-11-2003, 02:13 PM
Hmm, what's this green color around my face? http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

Way to go Alistair, very nice!

mikem
05-11-2003, 03:08 PM
The lathe site in the UK is great--I bookmarked it for future drooling. Alistair must be excited. What a beautiful machine.
Alistair--May you and your new lathe have many happy years together!--Mike.

Alistair Hosie
05-11-2003, 03:21 PM
Hello everybody well finally got home after two days on the road arrived back around eight o'clock yesterday evening, and then had to unload. We started out at five in the morning we both drove the truck home sharing the journey. So I want to get some rest today and will write and tell all, when I am rested up as I am very tired at the moment other than to say I am over the moon with the new lathe and milling machine .I do want to just say however and there is not really enough room here or time to say thanks to My pals Thrud and Ragarsed for hours of help these guys are like brothers to me will write soon.Alistair

Thrud
05-12-2003, 12:22 AM
John Stevenson:
I will take a look. That Smart & Brown is a damn nice machine - Alistair got the modern version (Mk 2, '70's mfg) - not the rounded headstock as the older ones have. I am very happy for Alistair - he got them for a steal too. His big problem now is his shop expansion - all rock and no topsoil to speak of.