Does anything about gold plating ? I am asking for Fred ??Alistair

Your Old Dog
09-05-2007, 01:55 PM

You forgot:

"anybody know "

Alistair Hosie
09-05-2007, 02:12 PM
I have done copper and silver plating never Gold although I used to know the process I believe it uses aqua regis or something similar.Alistair

RPease
09-05-2007, 02:27 PM
Last time I did gold plating, I just melted down a couple of bars and once they were molten, I "dipped" the item that I was plating into the pool of gold and then let it drip dry.

Depending on how large a piece you need plated, you might need more or less gold bars to start with. I've still got some around here somewhere. How much do you need?? I can ship it to you (for a price of course....) and you can return what's left and I'll only charge you for what you use.

However...........you might be better off having your items plated "electrically" by some local plating service as the shipping for gold is quite high. It's pretty heavy stuff.....LOL.

Regards..............

Alistair Hosie
09-05-2007, 02:33 PM
How much could you sell me for forty two cents :D seriously I have a small jar of gold here somewhere its for old Fred so I dont want to supply any more than infiormation regards and thanks anyway. Alistair

Mad Scientist
09-05-2007, 02:42 PM
You might check out

http://www.caswellplating.com/

they have gold plating kits.

But I havenít used it so donít know how well it works.

RPease
09-05-2007, 02:49 PM
I'm afraid 42 cents worth won't be much. The stuff I had was in about 44 pound blocks. About 4" cubed. Now they're more like 80 pound slabs. That's why shipping might be high...........not to mention the insurance........LOL

I'm not sure where they are at anyway........got so much "junk" laying around. Can't find anything anymore.

No problem if you don't need it............good luck with your project.

Regards...........

lynnl
09-05-2007, 03:35 PM
"...4" cubes" Ah, you probably threw that out with the swarf.

Alistair Hosie
09-05-2007, 04:28 PM
If I had 44 pound blocks of Gold I would know exactly were it is all of the day and night:DAlistair

Weston Bye
09-05-2007, 06:00 PM
I did some gold and silver electroplating some years ago, still have the outfit. I had to plate some electrical contacts on a test stand I built. The chemicals are hazardous - sodium cyanide. the process is easy enough if you pay attention. The chemicals, a gold anode and a variable power supply are all that's needed. Oh, and some common sense when handling the cyanide and parts fresh out of the cyanide. Some metals are easier to plate than others - copper, brass, etc. are easiest. Steel needs to be copper plated before the gold or silver will stick.

What needs plating?

Norman Atkinson
09-05-2007, 07:03 PM
Ah, yes, Alistair!

You are sitting on a ----shhhhhhhhhhhhhh- don't tell everyone- a seam of gold.

If you think in 3 degrees west, the vein runs through the United Kingdom from Cornwall in the South to Wales where the Queen's wedding rings was mined into Warnlockhead in Dumfries and Galloway and right up to the North of Scotland. You, me old green eyed monster are actually living a shade North of the Warnlockhead bit.

Now it just so happens- OK- that one of my associates was Ron Callender, author of a book on the subject and a member of the British Gold Panning team.

So, what are waiting for?

Norm

Alistair Hosie
09-05-2007, 07:07 PM
Norm wanlockhead and Dumfries are not exactly next doodr to me my old son anyway I thought I'd leave it to you to get whetever you want.THERE WAS A PROGRAMME ON TELLY WERE TWO GUYS DID GET QUITE A NICE HAUL REGULARILY FROM THERE OR THEREABOUTS.THANKS ANYWAY EXCUSE TYPING aLISTAIR

Norman Atkinson
09-05-2007, 07:36 PM
Here's me trying to bring Alistair untold riches and what do I get?

I did say that thiis vein actually runs North to South on the line- and doesn't just pop up in Dumfries and Galloway.

I was actually talking to one of the Knights Templar fellows tonight and the vein does run near Kilwinning. The Da Vinci Code thing has nothing on this fellow and Rosslyn Chapel is said to be near a plug of gold- under Edinburgh Infirmary.

Oh, and my wife is Number 2 Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of-- Edinburgh.

He just insn't interested in wealth- folks.

Hey, ho, hey ho-- it's off to work we go!

Droopy!

ERBenoit
09-06-2007, 11:15 AM
Not to hijack or get O/T, I am currently working on a project which involves the use of two gold foil electrodes. Not too much, two pieces, roughly 1"x1/2"x.0054" weighs only 1.554 grams. Priced today at $34.43 USD.

At that price, I guess I can't take it, run and not come back. :(

Alistair Hosie
09-06-2007, 07:42 PM
Norm you got the words wrong again me ol fruit it's
I owe I owe so of to work I go
:DAlistair

Duffy
09-06-2007, 07:46 PM
After all the ha-ha, I suspect you wanted an answer of sorts. Potassium cyanide-15 gm, gold cyanide-2.5 gm, water 1000 ml, current density-4 amps/sq ft.,anode-graphite, temperature-69 C. Note that the only gold you require is the solution. I suspect that you could get it from BDH, but Johnson Matthey should be able to steer you in the right direction. This recipe was taken from "Van Nostrand's Practical Formulary" 1957. There were also some cautionary words re cyanides etc., but I assume you already know this. there is also a recipe for a "metallizing formula" which does not involve either cyanide or electroplating. It is a bit more involved but quite doable. You made no mention of whether the object to be plated is bigger than a bread box, or the plating has to be thicker than a frog's hair.

Your Old Dog
09-06-2007, 09:19 PM
Maybe it's time for me to start ebaying some 24K wire that I have. Used some of it for gold inlay work but have a bit over 3/4 oz. I'll have to think on that! Once it's gone I won't likely be getting any more.

Evan
09-07-2007, 07:25 AM
Maybe it's time for me to start ebaying some 24K wire that I have.

Yeah, gold wire sure looks nice. Nothing quite has the same look as pure gold. :D

http://vts.bc.ca/pics2/goldwire.jpg

Alistair Hosie
09-07-2007, 12:42 PM
was that wire made by Rumpleforeskin:DAlistair

jkilroy
09-07-2007, 07:10 PM
Hmmm, at the current market price a 44lb block of gold would be worth about $450,174 American dollars. If I had a couple of those laying around I wouldn't have any trouble finding them because I would be sitting on them. :D

Allan Waterfall
09-08-2007, 06:55 AM

Why are you gold plating Fred ? :D

Allan

Alistair Hosie
09-08-2007, 01:28 PM
I only suggested since he is 75 has 39 children by 5 wifes he should should have a little bit of him gold plated.:DAlistair

Paul Alciatore
09-08-2007, 02:09 PM
Good Ole Google!

I searced: pcb plating gold

Check out:

http://www.goldplating.com/pcb.htm

and

http://www.brushplate.com/plating-machines.htm

Too many more to list.

HTRN
09-08-2007, 05:38 PM
I only suggested since he is 75 has 39 children by 5 wifes he should should have a little bit of him gold plated.:DAlistair

If he has 39 kids by 5 wives, he shouldn't be gold plated, he should be hard chromed for wear resistance. :D

HTRN

KyMike
09-08-2007, 09:41 PM
The Handbook of Industrial Electroplating, 1947 edition, gives this formula for gold plating:

Potassium Cyanide - 2 oz.
Potassium Gold Cyanide (41% Au) - 3 oz.
Caustic Potash (NaOH) - 2 oz.
Potassium Sulphite - 1 oz.

Operating Conditions:

Temperature - 120-180 deg. F.
Current Density - 2-6 amp. per sq. ft.
Voltage - 1.5-2
Anodes - Fine gold (24 carat) or insoluble (stainless steel, platinum or graphite). If insoluble anodes are used, solution must be renewed periodically.
Vats - Enamelled Iron
Agitation - Article to be plated must be kept moving.

"It is neccessary to use a freshly made gold solution because after working for some time the gold darkens in appearance and becomes more the color of old gold. For this reason it is found better to use an insoluble anode and to work the solution until the gold is exhausted and then reclaim the gold from the residue. The gold solution is normally worked in an enamelled iron vessel heated to the correct temperature. The articles are dipped in for a few seconds only and are kept moving during their time of immersion in the vat. If gold anodes are used they should be withdrawn when the solution is not in use. The color of the deposit may be varied by adding a small quantity of either copper or silver cyanide to the solution. This cyanide should be first dissolved in potassium cyanide and then added a few drops at a time, the required amount being estimated from the color of the deposit. Silver gives a greenish color and copper a reddish. Additions of nickel cyanide are also sometimes made to produce a white gold somewhat similar in appearance to platinum."

Mike

skeeter
09-09-2007, 01:07 AM
Check this site Alistair,

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Electroplating/?yguid=91763252

Lots of plating information available.

:D