PDA

View Full Version : lathes on stamps

aostling
09-07-2007, 08:42 PM
I'm not a stamp collector. But about fifteen years ago I toyed with the idea of taking photos of stamps. I thought if I printed and framed them at about 5X enlargement they might look nice hanging on the wall. I bought about fifty bird stamps (one of which is shown here), but these plans were aborted when I got a job and moved to Texas.

Now in the digital age it is so easy to photograph a stamp and print it (without a darkroom), I'm thinking of doing something like this again, perhaps for Christmas gifts.

I'm wondering if anybody knows of machine tools on stamps. Or perhaps a nice steam engine. Something which would be nice hanging on the wall of your shop.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u183/aostling/stamp.jpg

geraldvowles
09-07-2007, 09:12 PM
Well, with Photoshop you could paste in a couple of arms and a lathe (your choice of make & model) and blend them into the owl's feathers - that's blend, not morph as opposed to stirred, not shaken. Of course, you'd have to contend with copyright laws and the obvious political firestorm caused by becoming the world's first issuer of a genetically altered stamp.:D

Rookie machinist
09-07-2007, 09:14 PM
I might be wrong on this but I believe the U.S. postal service offered custom stamps with the image you provided. I'll look and see if I can find any more info if this is still offered.
Edit
http://custompostage.net/ It's a link to a site on how get custom stamps, anything you want with a few obvious exceptions.

aostling
09-07-2007, 10:30 PM
I believe the U.S. postal service offered custom stamps with the image you provided.

Thanks, I had not thought of this option. I have access to hundreds of illustrations in my Webster's New International Dictionary (1922). All the illustrations used in definitions are repeated in the back of the book for easy reference. Here's a lathe. I could even publish a stamp with a fusee on it, one of my favorite mechanisms.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u183/aostling/lathe.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u183/aostling/fusee.jpg

deth502
09-07-2007, 10:43 PM
my .02: instead of going through the trouble and expense of having custom stamps made, enlarge them, and print them out, why not just make your own?? photoshop a stamp border around it, super-impose a postal rate over it, print out your own new "art work" ready for framing !!! :)

TGTool
09-07-2007, 10:55 PM
my .02: instead of going through the trouble and expense of having custom stamps made, enlarge them, and print them out, why not just make your own?? photoshop a stamp border around it, super-impose a postal rate over it, print out your own new "art work" ready for framing !!! :)
Or put it on the envelope and send the USPS the 41 cents. They may or may not think it's funny.

aostling
09-07-2007, 11:01 PM

Sounds like counterfeiting, to me. Or is there a size limit, above which this is permitted?

Rookie machinist
09-07-2007, 11:55 PM
Postal fraud = federal time. Not a good idea.

IOWOLF
09-08-2007, 08:18 AM
Where are these stupid Ideas coming from?

andy_b
09-08-2007, 10:38 AM
thanks. due to all that internet monitoring software out there the Secret Service will now be visiting me for learning how to be a counterfeiter.

andy b.

ps- i think you could make up any old stamp you wanted to hang on your wall. actually using it is a different matter. when i was in college a few friends and i were pen pals (well, we would send goofy letters to each other anyway). one time i drew about 10 or 15 of the U.S. flag stamps on an envelope, and put one real one up in the corner where it was supposed to be. basically the entire front of the envelope looked like it was covered in the same stamp except for the address areas. i drew a small arrow to the real stamp in the corner with a small note stating "this is the real stamp". i was never arrested.

deth502
09-08-2007, 11:56 AM
did anyone read the part about him wanting to enlarge them 5x??

i doubt the government would think you were trying to get one over on them by printing up 5"x7" stamps.

not to mention, the stamp he used as an example has japanese postal rates printed on it.i didnt think that the us postal service enforced japan's laws??

IOWOLF
09-08-2007, 07:04 PM
NO, was it important? :)

Evan
09-09-2007, 05:38 AM
Or is there a size limit, above which this is permitted?

There is a size limit for reproducing currency above which it isn't considered counterfeiting, 200% I think. I'm not sure how this would apply to stamps since they don't have the same well defined size as paper currency. Stamps have a sort of quasi currency status and used to be acceptable in many cases in lieu of payment by legal tender for small mail order purchases.

not to mention, the stamp he used as an example has japanese postal rates printed on it.i didnt think that the us postal service enforced japan's laws??

Breaking another country's laws while in the US can be a crime in itself if the offense is considered a serious offense in the other country as well as in the US. That includes counterfeiting currency and other non-specie monetary instruments.

Lew Hartswick
09-09-2007, 12:05 PM
I would make the value in Drachma or Rupees or what ever is in use
in some "Lower Slobovia" somewhere. Shouldn't cause any problem
in USA. :-)
...lew...

Evan
09-09-2007, 12:46 PM
How about Semolians?

IOWOLF
09-09-2007, 01:21 PM
Someone in Africa would be offended. ;)

sandiapaul
09-10-2007, 10:47 AM
Here are 2 lathes on one stamp:

http://pondpond.blogspot.com/2007/07/stamp-of-day-machine.html

aostling
09-10-2007, 11:28 AM
Here are 2 lathes on one stamp:

http://pondpond.blogspot.com/2007/07/stamp-of-day-machine.html

Thanks Paul, I was beginning to think there may not be any. Your find is just what I was looking for. It also raises the issue of Soviet lathes, maybe some good ones this forum has no knowledge of.

LES A W HARRIS
09-10-2007, 01:53 PM
A,

You know of course; (stamps dot com), and others make personal legal stamps, a sheet of 20,about $19.00? 95 cents for a 41 cent stamp, didn't check on $5.00 stamps though!

Cheers,