PDA

View Full Version : Simple question about diamond hone

Thomas Staubo
09-11-2007, 06:16 PM
When you use a whetstone to hone knife edges and other things, you would apply water or oil to the stone.
But when using a diamond hone, do you apply anything on it, or use it dry???

Thomas

pcarpenter
09-11-2007, 06:21 PM
I use some of the little hand held diamond hones on my scrapers for thier regular touch ups. I use Kerosene and was just wondering about the wisdom of that as it just struck me that its a hydrocarbon compound. Actually, it didn't just strike me that kerosene is a hydrocarbon, but maybe that I should not be using it as a lube to float away the displaced carbide :D

Evan has pointed out here quite some time back that the use of diamonds as an abraisive on carbon containing materials like steel is a recipie for reduced life of the diamond abraisive. I read somewhere that this could be as much as hundreds of times less life for the abraisive. That's not very efficient and I suppose this is another lesson that sometimes the *right* tool for the job is more important than the most expensive or techy solution.

Paul

lynnl
09-11-2007, 06:41 PM
I have a diamond whetstone from Smith's (the Arkansas stone people) and the instructions with it said keep it wet (water).

Doc Nickel
09-11-2007, 06:52 PM
Evan has pointed out here quite some time back that the use of diamonds as an abraisive on carbon containing materials like steel is a recipie for reduced life of the diamond abraisive.

-That's true, but only at elevated temperatures; as in makin' sparks with powered grinding.

Hand honing obviously won't come anywhere near those temps, so carbon dissolution doesn't come into play.

Personally, I use a bit of WD-40 (essentially kerosene) simply to float the residues away and keep the stone/hone from clogging.

Doc.

Alistair Hosie
09-11-2007, 07:02 PM
yes keep it wet even though it might immediately look worn when the colour changes its not so keep it wet I was told and I do keep the faith and good luck Alistair

Your Old Dog
09-11-2007, 07:08 PM
Alistair,
Let me remind you old friend that any fool can work with good sharp tooling but it takes a special kind of a man to work with dull tooling and still get a good job done.

Diamond hones are for Women and children. :D

SGW
09-11-2007, 07:59 PM
I use water, with maybe a touch of detergent in it to break the surface tension.

Thomas Staubo
09-11-2007, 08:19 PM
Thank you ladies and gentlemen!

I will try with water or some CRC 5-56 (equivalent to WD40).
The intent was not to sharpen knives, as in my example, but to hone my turning tools.

PS. Speaking of CRC 5-56, I discovered that when turning plain steel (not sure what kind it was), I got a much better finish after I applied a tiny amount of 5-56 at the finishing pass.:) Just a few drops was enough, to get a the silk-smooth finish.

Thomas

J Tiers
09-11-2007, 09:44 PM
The Glendo folks suggest the use of their special stuff, which is evidently really water and a surfactant to break the surface tension. This for low speed diamond wheels. Water and a little soap seems to work just fine.

For hand honing I have not used any lube on my "EZE-LAP" sticks, but I only use them on carbide.

Norman Atkinson
09-12-2007, 04:14 AM
It would be rather nice to have a definitive answer because there is some wobbly thinking.
I have the usual diamond hones for which I have special oil- which is unspecified. I have diamond wheels for my T&C's and I have assorted diamond pastes.
On the past, advice has come to use the lot dry, to use water- with or without soaps and olive oil on the pastes.

I have used things like hydraulic oil and cellulose thinners and paraffin and all seem to work on the hones.

OK, so can someone actually give a definitive answer please.
Before I am shot down, I do know that steel and diamond are not supposed to be good bedfellows- but so far, nothing untoward has arisen.

Norm